Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Shock tower mushrooming

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 06:52 PM
MiniKJ
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any pics possible goodfinder?

Old 09-17-2006, 07:25 PM
GoodFinder
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniKJ
Any pics possible goodfinder?
What pics did you want me to post? I think I've seen pics posted of the SRP's installed. I don't think the SRP's on my GP will look any different?

Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 AM
legalr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniKJ
[...] I am quite disappointed with my first BMW (cheaper version) experience. My strut guide has a slit (crack) already in less than 2000 miles.
What was the model year of that car?

Old 01-29-2007, 08:54 PM
kalel1021
1st Gear
looking at all these threads about the strut tower, i went ahead and bought the M7 Strut Reinforcement plates for my new 06 MINI (1200+ miles) knowing the way I drive, my struts will shroom soon

Old 01-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm just curious... Do these reinforcement plates go between the strut and the tower or on top of the tower itself? Thanks!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:29 AM
djdport66
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LeeL
Man, I sure wish someone would actually post a pic of a mushroomed shock tower. I am beginiing to think you're all making it up.
I agree...I've hit my share of potholes but as of yet do not have any damage. Does't M7 make reinforcing plates for the top of the strut tower? Will this help your problems?

DJDport

Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
There are pics, and plenty of discussion about what the M7 plates will and will not do if you guys would read the thread from the beginning.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:33 PM
shanes
2nd Gear
I just recieved my M7 SRP's in the mail today, but I am a bit skeptical to install them just yet. I spoke with the SA at Morristown MINI yesterday, and asked him what his take was on the M7 SRP's, and he told me that they will prevent mushrooming like they are intended to, but they will make it even more possible for the strut mount to crack. My MINI is only three weeks old with 1400 mile on it and no mushrooming as of yesterday, and hopefully not yet today

Funny thing is that I was told that a cracked strut mount will NOT be ever covered under warranty, and this seems to happen very easily.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:03 AM
shanes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by doomsdaybob
Seems to be a whole lot of MINI's experiencing this problem and broken strut mounts. There's also way too many dealers blaming the customer while others, like mine, just replace the parts like nothing is new. I'm thinking the dealers and MINI cannot hide behind the "pot hole defense" much longer. There are plenty of pot holes in this country and if your car cannot survive one w/o throwing the front end out of whack and becoming potentially dangerous to drive why bother putting them on the road to begin with? Firestones on Explorers didn't kill everyone but put enough people in danger to force Ford's hand. Maybe it's time we started lobbying for a better and safery car like we did for rear fogs?
Can we all say "Class Action Lawsuit", this mushrooming and cracking strut mounts difinatly constitutes one.

Last night I installed my M7 SRP's on my three week old MCS. I was hesitent about doing so because of what my dealer told me about any type of strut reinforcement. They told me that the SRP's will ultimatly put more pressure on the strut mounts causing them to crack easier. Also a cracked trut mount is NOT covered under warranty, which is rediculous because I NEVER mushroomed or cracked a strut on any of my 16 cars that I have owned through out my life. So if a strut mount is not covered under warranty, what the hell SRP's went on.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:10 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by shanes
I just recieved my M7 SRP's in the mail today, but I am a bit skeptical to install them just yet. I spoke with the SA at Morristown MINI yesterday, and asked him what his take was on the M7 SRP's, and he told me that they will prevent mushrooming like they are intended to, but they will make it even more possible for the strut mount to crack. My MINI is only three weeks old with 1400 mile on it and no mushrooming as of yesterday, and hopefully not yet today

Funny thing is that I was told that a cracked strut mount will NOT be ever covered under warranty, and this seems to happen very easily.
Well I'd much rather have a cracked upper strut mount (easy to replace) verses a mushroomed strut tower (no long term fix yet available).

Old 02-14-2007, 09:16 AM
dave
pug poo picker-upper
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Last night I installed my M7 SRP's on my three week old MCS. I was hesitent about doing so because of what my dealer told me about any type of strut reinforcement. They told me that the SRP's will ultimatly put more pressure on the strut mounts causing them to crack easier. Also a cracked trut mount is NOT covered under warranty, which is rediculous because I NEVER mushroomed or cracked a strut on any of my 16 cars that I have owned through out my life. So if a strut mount is not covered under warranty, what the hell SRP's went on.
You're dealer's right. The SRP's do nothing to prevent the upper strut mount cracking. By reinforcing the strut towers you are making the towers capabile of sustaining higher loads without deformation, and therefore the upper strut mounts may be subject to higher loading *because* the strut towers no longer mushroom.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:30 AM
minimk3
3rd Gear
I would assume that the JCW strut bar when installed adds reinforcement to the towers as well. So hypothetically, you can also suffer strut mount cracking even though you have an approved OEM accessory. Will the dealer replace the mounts if you have the JCW strut bars installed instead of the the SRP or do they simply classify it as not covered by warranty?

Reason I asked is because I just installed the SRP last weekend on my 2 month old MCS. I initially thought of installing the JCW strut bar but I read here that it doesn't help prevent mushrooming. I guess I have to worry about cracking the mounts this time.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:36 PM
shanes
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minimk3
I would assume that the JCW strut bar when installed adds reinforcement to the towers as well. So hypothetically, you can also suffer strut mount cracking even though you have an approved OEM accessory. Will the dealer replace the mounts if you have the JCW strut bars installed instead of the the SRP or do they simply classify it as not covered by warranty?

Reason I asked is because I just installed the SRP last weekend on my 2 month old MCS. I initially thought of installing the JCW strut bar but I read here that it doesn't help prevent mushrooming. I guess I have to worry about cracking the mounts this time.
The otherday while at the dealer, I inquired about the SRP's and the JCW bar that was on display. The SA told me that either way the strut mounts would not be under warranty if cracked.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
minimk3
3rd Gear
The otherday while at the dealer, I inquired about the SRP's and the JCW bar that was on display. The SA told me that either way the strut mounts would not be under warranty if cracked.
Shanes, Thanks for the input. I was going to ask the same question from my dealer.

I guess we just have to steer away from those nasty potholes and bad roads here in NJ.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:21 PM
e_flat_d
Neutral
Strut Tower Reinforcement Plates

Seems like BMW is really inconsistent with all this... anyone out there have any info on TSB's relating to this? Or even detailed service info from repairs done by BMW under warranty?

Last edited by e_flat_d; 02-16-2007 at 08:50 PM. Reason: most info covered by previous posts
Old 03-20-2007, 01:54 PM
supercliff
2nd Gear
Does anyone know if you have use the M7 Strut Tower Brace and still use an aftermarket intake?

I'm considering either a JCW, Helix, or Dinan intake, but wanted to know if I can use the Strut tower brace. If I can't I'll just get the plates.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:48 AM
ckaminsk
2nd Gear
67k miles on my '04 COOPER... broken right-side STB after hitting a pothole. Stock suspension on 16" runflat tires. Going to get new suspension installed this month anyways, but I really hope I don't have mushrooming too!!

With as many times I've heard of shock tower deformation under normal "Lets Motor" driving conditions... this really ought to be a Class-Action Suit against BMW/MINI. Seriously, one good *whack* and your car could be dangerous to drive if outside its allignment specs. MINI ought to at least cover it under warranty (even it that means simply providing service to smack them flat with a mallet and 2x4). Otherwise develop a $50 plate themselves; even to prevent just 80% of mushrooming cases.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Roops
Neutral
Madness Plates and M7 Strut Tower Brace

Hi,

2years late to post here but what the heck.

Anyone had any success installing the M7 strut tower brace together with the Madness under strut plates on a MCS?

Am wondering if the strut tower bolts are long enough, and if they're not where does one find longer bolts?

Appreciate the help
Thanks,
Roops