Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Black brake fluid hose from brake fluid tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 05:26 PM
rory
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walked out this morning to get in the beast and noticed I had a couple of streams of fluid running from under the car. Popped the hood and found the problem. The black plastic hose coming from the fluid tank had a hole in it. I have no idea how that happened.

So here's the question, where does this hose go once it goes through the firewall into the cockpit? Yes, I tried to look, but had a hard time getting my 6' 3" body under the dash to look it over. Next question, what does it do? Some kind of sensor dohicky?

Thanks,

Rory

Old 03-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Mjolnir
5th Gear
>>Walked out this morning to get in the beast and noticed I had a couple of streams of fluid running from under the car. Popped the hood and found the problem. The black plastic hose coming from the fluid tank had a hole in it. I have no idea how that happened.
>>
>>So here's the question, where does this hose go once it goes through the firewall into the cockpit? Yes, I tried to look, but had a hard time getting my 6' 3" body under the dash to look it over. Next question, what does it do? Some kind of sensor dohicky?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Rory

Hmmm, I don't know for sure Rory but I wouldn't screw around with it if you suspect it's part of the braking system. Use that warranty!

-Jim

Old 03-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Zappa
5th Gear
Hey Rory! How's the motorcycles doing??

Let us know when you find the problem. I'll look at mine when I go to work tomorrow. (I'm short and it will be warmer tomorrow)
Cjes

Old 03-20-2003, 07:57 PM
rory
3rd Gear
The bikes are doing fine. The Amzoil seems to be working just fine. When I get a few more miles on this oil change, I'm going to be putting the Amzoil in the Mini. I didn't show in time for my appointment I had set up. No biggie.

Since there is no pressure on the line I cleaned it up and used some Loctite epoxy (the best stuff in the world) to seal up the hole until I can get it to a dealer. I've used the Loctite on my offroad car radiator during a desert race before and it held for over 100 miles of bouncing and stress. Should be ok on the hose unless the fluid attacks it.

Seems to be holding so far. Tomorrow will tell better.

Old 05-23-2003, 08:07 AM
sjbartnik
2nd Gear
Another way old thread (bored at work today) but that black hose from the reservoir through the firewall is the brake fluid supply hose to the clutch master cylinder.

Notice how the take-off point for the hose is higher than the bottom of the reservoir, so a leak in the supply line cannot drain enough fluid out of the reservoir to affect the operation of the brakes.