R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Got a pre-purchase inspection on an 06 S, what am I in for? (details inside)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:38 AM
Etrain
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a pre-purchase inspection on an 06 S, what am I in for? (details inside)

I'm looking at an 06 S with 60K miles.
I had a mechanic do a PPI and he noted the following things:

-code was returned, a readiness code for the evaporative system (no engine light though)

-power steering fluid leak from on the hose between the reservoir to the pump, and possible oil pan gasket leak

-rear right emergency brake "hanging up slightly"

Other than this the car was great. We drove it, handles well, clutch is good, no issue with strut towers or mounts, everything else is nice.

But can someone with experience tell me a little more about the issues that were found, and realistically, what should I be expecting as far as (potential) repairs that should be made sooner rather than later?

Thanks!!

Old 08-15-2015, 03:47 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
-code was returned, a readiness code for the evaporative system (no engine light though)
Sounds like the code was just cleared...Maybe fixed, maybe not..warning...
it takes a few "drive cycles" for the system to test it self....
power steering fluid leak from on the hose between the reservoir to the pump, and possible oil pan gasket leak
Hose might be fixed with a clamp...maybe a new hose...
oil leak COULD be an oil pas gasket..maybe $600+ at a shop..BUT a leaking 10 cent CPS (Crank position sensor)drips down.....and can look like a leaking pan...
Bad leaks should be fixed...minor leaks can be MONITORED till they get worse (they will) then fixed..BUT CHECK THE OIL REGULARLY...

rear right emergency brake "hanging up slightly"
Cable might be bad..cheap...but likely the rear caliper is failing internally...so it will lily need to be replaced. a FULL REAR brake job would be done too...

Old 08-15-2015, 04:22 PM
slipmagt
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My advice, get a brake job, and throw the PS system away.

Old 08-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Etrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by slipmagt
My advice, get a brake job, and throw the PS system away.
I do know that all 4 rotors and calipers were replaced around 6K miles ago, not sure if that can be factored in here or indicated anything.

And what do you mean by PS system?

Old 08-15-2015, 04:51 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Etrain
I do know that all 4 rotors and calipers were replaced around 6K miles ago, not sure if that can be factored in here or indicated anything.

And what do you mean by PS system?
think you mean rotors and PADS...but if a pad is sticking..the pad is now worn unevenly, and the rotor is usually now junk.....it has been heated, and often has groves cut in it or is glazed...rears are pretty cheap though...
the calipers are quite a bit more $$$ and are good till they leak or stick...usually a lifetime part....only replaced when they fail.

PS=powersteering system...makes the car easier to turn and park..
removing it Might save some folks a couple $ initially, but it changes the character of the car at lower speeds, and can cause the HARD TO FIND universal joints on the steering wheel shaft to fail...so ultimately it will cost more $$.
Many cars have a FREE extended warranty on the PUMP (price has come down..now it is a sub $500 part, was once $1500), but not the hoses or rack from MINI.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 08-15-2015 at 08:56 PM. Reason: fixed auto correct
Old 08-15-2015, 05:26 PM
Etrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
think you mean rotors and PADS...but if a pad is sticking..the pad is now worn unevenly, and the rotor is usually now junk.....it has been heated, and often has groves cut in it or is glazed...rears are pretty cheap though...
the calipers are quite a bit more $$$ and are good till they leak or stick...usually a lifetime part....only replaced when they fail.

PS +overpowering system...makes the car easier to turn and park..
removing it Might save some folks a couple $ initially, but it changes the character of the car at lower speeds, and can cause the HARD TO FIND universal joints on the steering wheel shaft to fail...so ultimately it will cost more $$.
Many cars have a FREE extended warranty on the PUMP (price has come down..now it is a sub $500 part, was once $1500), but not the hoses or rack from MINI.
Any reason why you think this car has a PS system?

Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 PM
David.R53
5th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The emergency/parking brake cables go to the rear brakes and are known to corrode and jam. There are two.

Pretty easy DIY if you are so inclined. A two hour job and $100 in parts from ECS tuning. Probably three hours and $300 in parts at the stealership...

I wouldn't do a full brake job again unless you had other signs of brake problems.

The power steering pumps are known trouble. Ignore the suggestion to delete the power steering unless you intend to primarily track the car. The pump is covered under an extended warranty. The hoses do go bad. The high pressure hose can be pricey. Hopefully the hose clamp will do it.

Last edited by David.R53; 08-15-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:28 PM
Etrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by David.R53
The emergency/parking brake cables go to the rear brakes and are known to corrode and jam. There are two.

Pretty easy DIY if you are so inclined. A two hour job and $100 in parts from ECS tuning. Probably three hours and $300 in parts at the stealership...

I wouldn't do a full brake job again unless you had other signs of brake problems.

The power steering pumps are known trouble. Ignore the suggestion to delete the power steering unless you intend to primarily track the car. The pump is covered under an extended warranty. The hoses do go bad. The high pressure hose can be pricey. Hopefully the hose clamp will do it.
OH, ps = power steering. He never mentioned that and from the way he was describing it, I thought it was some mod that I shouldn't have. hah

Old 08-15-2015, 08:58 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Etrain
Any reason why you think this car has a PS system?
LOL..fixed the auto correct...
believe me you want Powersteering...
on an 90's honda you could skip it...but the ratio of the "rack" really needs it...and the plastic U-Joints mean the system is engineered to use a pump..and the manual is a fallback emergency short term system....

Old 08-15-2015, 09:17 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unfortunately the power steering pump extended warranty doesn't cover a 2006, but it sounds like just a line is leaking and it hopefully it isn't the pump. The lines are not covered under the warranty either way.

If you get the car, definitely check the oil regularly. Leaks or not, these cars do seem go through some oil.

Like David said, good chance it's a parking brake cable sticking .

As far as other repairs, take some time and read the r53 forums to get an idea of what you might be in for. Some people have great luck and have few issues, others aren't so lucky. Being able to do some of the repairs yourself would be very beneficial. Have an 02 myself, but most people seem to say the best year is the 2006.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:06 PM
Etrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
Unfortunately the power steering pump extended warranty doesn't cover a 2006, but it sounds like just a line is leaking and it hopefully it isn't the pump. The lines are not covered under the warranty either way.

If you get the car, definitely check the oil regularly. Leaks or not, these cars do seem go through some oil.

Like David said, good chance it's a parking brake cable sticking .

As far as other repairs, take some time and read the r53 forums to get an idea of what you might be in for. Some people have great luck and have few issues, others aren't so lucky. Being able to do some of the repairs yourself would be very beneficial. Have an 02 myself, but most people seem to say the best year is the 2006.
And I hope it is because I bought it tonight!

How do you feel about these off-color panels (on both sides)? It's a vinyl wrap
http://imgur.com/vjRv7UV

I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:47 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Nice looking car... now that it is yours...

-code was returned, a readiness code for the evaporative system (no engine light though) This can be researched with a smoke test, a good tech can do this. Not that expensive.

-power steering fluid leak from on the hose between the reservoir to the pump, and possible oil pan gasket leak. I would think that this is just a hose, or possibly a loose connector. I have replaced hoses on my '04s. Not a big issue.

-rear right emergency brake "hanging up slightly" I would sort this out first, most likely the cable but I would pull the brake and inspect and clean it, make sure it has anti seize in all the right places. Test the cable, it more than likely is the problem just binding up. for the cost of a cable lube device and cleaner and lubricant, you should be able to just get cable and replace it if bad.

+1 on O-rings from MAP and T-MAP sensors.

Best of luck...

Motor on!

Old 08-20-2015, 05:42 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Congratulations. Our 06 R53 is a great MINI! If you don't have maintenance records I would start budgeting to change all fluids. It's a prudent preventative maintenance procedure that has been quite effective for us. Good luck

Old 08-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Zippy's first post was spot on. The one amendment I would make is that you'd be better off replacing both ebrake cables. Just get it done. You should expect some maintenance and repair dollars to be required over time, but you got a good car--enjoy it!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 AM
zenbuilder
1st Gear
When I bought my 06 R-53 , the PSP was noisy, I replaced it along with the reservoir, and hoses. You can get a new pump for $500.00 life time warranty. And it shouldn't cost more then 200.00 to install .