Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

P0456 - Evaporative emission control (very small leak)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 06:24 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
P0456 - Evaporative emission control (very small leak)

Hi Motorers!

I've had a "Evaporative Emission Control (Very small leak)" code 3 days ago, and cleared it with my OBDII scanner... It came back this morning. (Code is P0456)

I've check my gas cap, and it's tightly closed.

Have anyone had this code before an got a solution? My MCS is out of warranty and Lauderale MINI dealer charges 120$ for a check up...

Any help or suggestion would be really appreciated! What should I check first? I've just spend 700$ on a defective radiator fans and I really don't feel like giving more money to MINI for some time lol

Thanks and happy motoring!

Old 04-18-2006, 06:08 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
bump!

If anyone had this problem, please post what your dealer did to solve it.

I'd really appreciate any help... My car runs good and everything seems fine...

Old 04-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
THis past weekend when I was installing rear suspension goodies on my car, I noticed that the evaporative emissions lines pass very close to the right rear trailing arm, to the point of almost touching. I shifted them around in the clips to move them away before the one would have worn through (there was the slightest of marks). The evap canister, the LDP and sensors are in the upper rear fender (above the plastic liner). I suggest a quick inspection of the nylon lines and rubber hoses that make up the system.

Old 04-19-2006, 07:39 AM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
THis past weekend when I was installing rear suspension goodies on my car, I noticed that the evaporative emissions lines pass very close to the right rear trailing arm, to the point of almost touching. I shifted them around in the clips to move them away before the one would have worn through (there was the slightest of marks). The evap canister, the LDP and sensors are in the upper rear fender (above the plastic liner). I suggest a quick inspection of the nylon lines and rubber hoses that make up the system.
Thanks! I'll sure check that!

Old 04-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think emmission stuff may have a longer warranty

also, there was an evap line recall on the 02s. Don't know whick one though.

Matt

Old 04-20-2006, 10:34 AM
chaincoopers
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 05 MCS has been doing this every other week pretty much since it was a month old. I just clear it and keep going, the gas cap is on, the car is fine otherwise. Two dealers have cleared the code a few times when I was in for other things and said nothing to worry about.

Old 04-20-2006, 07:39 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chaincoopers
My 05 MCS has been doing this every other week pretty much since it was a month old. I just clear it and keep going, the gas cap is on, the car is fine otherwise. Two dealers have cleared the code a few times when I was in for other things and said nothing to worry about.
Thanks!! I got the ECU codes cleared and the adaptive memory cleared too yesterday at the dealer... They also told me they suspected that the evap system had a defective part somewhere but since it's a small leak, I'll see if it comes back or not... Today I drove 1200km (Miami-Montreal) and it's all good for now...

Old 04-20-2006, 09:34 PM
Barnabas
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to know it's fixed for now.

Emissions related problems do carry a longer warranty (not sure but like 8yrs and 100k miles? or something like that).

chasing down small evap leaks are the worst...ugh. Large leaks are easy (gasp cap!)

Old 04-21-2006, 08:18 PM
DarkMiniCooperS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Barnabas
Good to know it's fixed for now.

Emissions related problems do carry a longer warranty (not sure but like 8yrs and 100k miles? or something like that).

chasing down small evap leaks are the worst...ugh. Large leaks are easy (gasp cap!)
If you are sure about that, I'll get my MINI in for a check up...

This morning, the CEL came up again for the same code...

You are sure that the Emission related problems are covered to 100k miles??

Thanks for any help!!

Old 04-21-2006, 08:26 PM
chaincoopers
4th Gear
I remember reading a thread where someone had this issue and it all turned out to be a small fitting or gasket on the filler neck to the gas tank. In his case, he could smell gas in the car though. Like I said, I keep getting this code, with no other indications. I'm sure its no big deal, it will be sorted when I go in next time.

Old 04-21-2006, 09:45 PM
FUEGO
4th Gear
I believe we had this very same codeon my wife's October '04 build MCC. Went to the dealer twice a year ago to try and find it. They cleared it but it came back again. What was strange was I started getting the code about three months after we got the car - following a driving school weekend. I cleared it twice and the dealer cleared it twice. They reported no problem found the second time it went to them and they cleared it. The code disappeared for 11 months.

It started coming back 11 months later - just after a another driving school (weird) when the car was driven pretty hard. The vapor recovery canister under the bonnet had a cracked (hose) fitting - probably from the factory that way. This time they traced out the vapor recovery system and found it. She's done several AX events since then and it hasn't come back. This might be worth mentioning to your SA.

Old 11-29-2013, 04:05 PM
jown.iv
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im having this problem, code P0441, which is "Evap System Incorrect Purge Flow". I have exactly 1 month to pass emissions. I have a ScanGauge2 plugged in at all times, and can clear the code, but after doing this, the car is "not emission test ready" because all of the monitors now have to re-record all of the data needed to plug into the emissions test. I have learned this takes "3 Hot Cycles", as in, I clear the code when the engine is cold, drive a bit til it reaches standard running temp, then cool down over night, drive to bring up to running temp, cool down over night, drive to bring up to running temp, cool down over night, and after doing this, once the car reaches running temp the 4th time, even during just idle, the light will come back on. Basically what I need to know and/or do, is figure out what needs to be fixed/replaced to get rid of this code, or figure out how to pass CT emissions testing after clearing the code. The car runs fine, at times has a rough idle, but that is due to some of the other mods I've done to the car. Anybody chime in on this with some help/advice?

Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM
haji3
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jown.iv
Im having this problem, code P0441, which is "Evap System Incorrect Purge Flow". I have exactly 1 month to pass emissions. I have a ScanGauge2 plugged in at all times, and can clear the code, but after doing this, the car is "not emission test ready" because all of the monitors now have to re-record all of the data needed to plug into the emissions test. I have learned this takes "3 Hot Cycles", as in, I clear the code when the engine is cold, drive a bit til it reaches standard running temp, then cool down over night, drive to bring up to running temp, cool down over night, drive to bring up to running temp, cool down over night, and after doing this, once the car reaches running temp the 4th time, even during just idle, the light will come back on. Basically what I need to know and/or do, is figure out what needs to be fixed/replaced to get rid of this code, or figure out how to pass CT emissions testing after clearing the code. The car runs fine, at times has a rough idle, but that is due to some of the other mods I've done to the car. Anybody chime in on this with some help/advice?
It is my guess you might try a new Purge Valve. I couldn't clear my code and then discovered I had unplugged it when installing a water pump. Unfortunately I had already ordered one. The Dealer is about 145 IIRC. I think Autozones generic is Delphi 1997278.for around $36 or something I have the one I purchased, I'll mail you mine for $25 if you can wait that long. Email me at clinehall@suddenlink.net if you want it.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Akumazeto
Banned
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Bump to this issue and my shrt term fuel trims are -30 at idle

Old 07-25-2021, 05:56 PM
ssoliman
5th Gear
Received 134 Likes on 119 Posts
Bumping this one...

I have:1089 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
and
Short term fuel trims at -30

Any resolution found?

Old 08-01-2022, 10:18 AM
MiniCoopAZ
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Found it!!!!! I think

From the first day I bought my 2012 Mini Cooper clubman s. I have had a check engine light caused by p0456. Small leak.
I tried a new gas cap. Nope
new gas cap seal old gas cap nope
new evaporation gas tank purge valve. Nope
did a smoke test. Nothing coming out of the emissions system.
I put a plastic sheet to seal in-between the cap and tank. But that only helped a little didn’t solve the problem.
Then after a few more weeks of thinking about it I realized that there was a recall for the high pressure fuel pump which work was performed on this car before I owned it. But maybe they messed with the low pressure fuel pump.
so I opened up the in tank fuel pump and all looked sealed.
then I went to the in tank fuel filter and that also looked good, but I couldn’t get the gasket to seat correctly in the tank to allow it the filter assembly to sit back down in the tank.
so for $12 I bought a new gasket from the dealer and after fitting it to the filter housing, the filter assembly just slipped right into place with very little effort. now I’m thinking that the old gasket was either worn or bad or not correct and that’s why I was getting the tank small leak codes. So far 3 days and no check engine light. Fingers crossed.

The following 3 users liked this post by MiniCoopAZ:
2005jcw (10-02-2023), JCxMINI (07-03-2023), miniminaj (10-03-2022)
Old 10-02-2023, 03:20 PM
2005jcw
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniCoopAZ
From the first day I bought my 2012 Mini Cooper clubman s. I have had a check engine light caused by p0456. Small leak.
I tried a new gas cap. Nope
new gas cap seal old gas cap nope
new evaporation gas tank purge valve. Nope
did a smoke test. Nothing coming out of the emissions system.
I put a plastic sheet to seal in-between the cap and tank. But that only helped a little didn’t solve the problem.
Then after a few more weeks of thinking about it I realized that there was a recall for the high pressure fuel pump which work was performed on this car before I owned it. But maybe they messed with the low pressure fuel pump.
so I opened up the in tank fuel pump and all looked sealed.
then I went to the in tank fuel filter and that also looked good, but I couldn’t get the gasket to seat correctly in the tank to allow it the filter assembly to sit back down in the tank.
so for $12 I bought a new gasket from the dealer and after fitting it to the filter housing, the filter assembly just slipped right into place with very little effort. now I’m thinking that the old gasket was either worn or bad or not correct and that’s why I was getting the tank small leak codes. So far 3 days and no check engine light. Fingers crossed.

I know that “no news is good news”, but did this fix the P0456 code for good?

Old 10-02-2023, 04:05 PM
MiniCoopAZ
Neutral
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2005jcw
I know that “no news is good news”, but did this fix the P0456 code for good?
took to a mechanic and they replaced the entire fuel filter assembly.

The following users liked this post:
2005jcw (10-02-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 04:31 PM
2005jcw
Neutral
Originally Posted by MiniCoopAZ
took to a mechanic and they replaced the entire fuel filter assembly.
Thanks for that information, and the quick reply!