Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

CAI - looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
daemon2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CAI - looking for recommendations

I browsed a bit for a thread on the preferred CAI (JCW, DINAN, K&N, Alta), I found some information on the noise from the Alta but no-one recommending one over the other.
Is the JCW CAI worth the money?

Old 02-21-2006, 08:29 PM
Morales
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hdi

The new HDI from Webb Motorsports looks pretty trick. I'll be selling my Rogue intake soon for this one.

Old 02-21-2006, 08:44 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
JCW is worth money, switched from ALTA, very happy

Old 02-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Gary Anderson
2nd Gear
"JCW is better than Alta"

Just out of curiousity, how can you tell that one is better than the other? What criteria and factors would you use to determine that?
Gary

Old 02-21-2006, 09:25 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
Just out of
curiousity, how can you tell that one is better than the other? What criteria and factors would you use to determine that?
Gary
Why, because that is what he has! I have a K&N in my MCc and it is way better than anything anyone else ever made ('cause that is where I spent my money).

Old 02-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Khodabear
3rd Gear
I'll second the Webb HDI
Solid stainless steel construction - very well designed - hardly louder than stock when cruising - I like it!
Photos can be seen here
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=61536

Peter
in Denver

Old 02-21-2006, 09:36 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
I think that the opinions are very subjective... unless someone is providing dyno numbers... I have the K&N CAI. I hear the ALTA has a nice sound to it. I am thinking about switching to the ALTA...

Old 02-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good numbers are hard to come by...

But the K&N is the only one with a CARB sticker, if that matters....

Oops! The JCW must have that too, as it's sold from the factory in CA as well...

I'm running a HAI, because it's cheap!

Matt

Old 02-21-2006, 09:51 PM
skuzy
5th Gear
got an alta, but in hindsight i woulda wnet HAi instead cuz its cheap n doez tthe same thing.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:03 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
if you asked me the question, please read my post one more time, i can't see such a statement, i like the JCW CAI over ALTA does not mean that JCW is better than ALTA.

But, are you asking me why i switched to JCW from ALTA?
1.I got a good deal on a package
2.Whistling sound is less attractive than my exhaust
3.JCW looks more refine and performs smoother.

Honestly I like the 4500+rpm JCW intake sound much better than screaming ALTA, very personal. both are nice, like i said personal choice.

Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
Just out of curiousity, how can you tell that one is better than the other? What criteria and factors would you use to determine that?
Gary

Old 02-22-2006, 11:35 AM
daemon2
4th Gear
Thanks!

I was looking for subjective feedback on how MCSers like the differend CAI. This is great stuff, thanks everyone!
I know my preferences, this is like a test drive without purchasing.

Keep it coming.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:43 AM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
It's funny to see all the different choices that people are making... This is an age old topic!

Old 02-22-2006, 12:19 PM
eVal
6th Gear
If you are interested in the JCW (which I have and enjoy, I don't want/need the low rpm hiss of a CAI drawing air and attention - been there done that ) be sure to contact Helix, a board vendor - they often have them on hand and sell them for a good price ($250 or so as I recall?).

Cheers

Old 02-22-2006, 12:40 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am using the Alta. It's been on for a few weeks now (about 400 miles) and so far so good. For me, I like decent power gains, a good fit & finish, good looking products that work well with the existing hardware and a decent price.

Based on the above, I probably would have gone with the JCW intake (which i do really like the factory look of) but the price was an issue, as was the price of replacement filters. I know that Helix offers them for cheaper often, but my CAI was on my christmas list, easier to say go to this www & order.... Mine was purchased from Coast to Coast in DE, and i will be shopping with them again...they made it very easy for my wife in a busy holiday season.

I received mine before the webb unit was out. I don't know if I would have picked the webb one or not. I know they all work *about* the same, I just don't love the looks of the webb one. (Plus, his does not offer the larger intake tube yet.) Don't really love the look of the big red Q-tip either, but i can't see it when i am driving.

I considered the HAI, it looks like a great bang-for-the-buck. However, I wasn't thrilled with the placement of the filter with regard to any incoming water. And, I really didn't want to half-a$$ anything. This is my first new car, and (thankfully!) I am in a position to do a few tasteful mods the right way. (I grew up DIY, did a DIY turbo miata, and i have learned that sometimes the hassle isn't worth the monetary 'savings')

Anyway....

Fit & finish are good to great. It took me about an hour to install (must add that i had all the tools and i am pretty good with them) The seal that alta supplies to go around the new box was a bit short, need to contact them to get me a new one. Other than that, no issues. All parts were there, easy install using randy's online instructions.

I find that the Alta makes the car feel like it's breathing easier (well no *****! Not a huge seat of the pants power booster by itself, but a little less restriction when you get on it. I will be adding a pulley in the next 3-6 months (most likely a 19%) and i think that the combo of the two will really help in the power department.

It does make a bit of noise, but nothing offensive to my ears. (My wife does not care for it as much, but that's why she has her own MINI!
There is some whistling on light throttle tip in, and there is a bit of a roar when you really get on it & the SC is really spinning. For me, I like it a lot, I came from a DIY turbo miata that you could hear everything in. While the MINI does offer a bit of mechanical noise, I like what the Alta adds to the table. Again, it won't be for everyone, but it works for me. It's something that can be covered by the stock HK sound system rather easily.

Overall I am satisfied with the Alta CAI and I would purchase it again.Now i just need to add a little more exhaust note to balance it out...

cheers!

-jac

Old 02-22-2006, 07:45 PM
daemon2
4th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...556#post831556

I saw this thread on the Alta today. I am leaning more toward the JCW, I like the factory look. I will be trying to contact Helix, $250 are you sure?

Old 02-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I went with an ALTA after reading all of the threads here I found it to be the best at the job of getting the most air to the engine which means, I have the largest HP and MPG gains possible with whats availible. Also there are many MINIs out there that have had an ALTA for well over 50k miles without issue which was important to be becuase it means that this is a very reliable intake on my ONLY means of transportation. I did the install myself in about 45 min. and I am very happy with the results. I'd check out thr WRR episode that covers this topic simply just to be more informed of , how they function and what many of the options out there are. Yes I did opt for the Silicone hose because my goal was efficeny in moving air in and it eliminated lots of turbulance on the way to the throttle body which in that location turbulance is usually not a good thing. I think just about anything you get will be better than stock and you have my endorsement for the ALTA. Also br sure to checkout Randy's (Webb Motorsports) How-to for the install, much better than the Alta instructions and very helpful with photos.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:39 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
pilo and alta both worked/works great for me.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:22 PM
DoubleNick
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a BMP/Promini and switched to Alta for more "noise". I am completely satisfied.

Old 02-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm happy you're happy but.....

Originally Posted by motor on
I have the largest HP and MPG gains possible with whats availible.
How do you know this?

Matt

Old 02-23-2006, 04:34 PM
OldRick
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the largest HP and MPG gains possible with whats availible.
Not now that Randy Webb has announced his newest variation on the CAI theme...

Old 02-23-2006, 07:56 PM
aa5ib
1st Gear
JCW - Helix

Originally Posted by daemon2
. I will be trying to contact Helix, $250 are you sure?
The JCW from Helix had been on backorder. They called me today to ask if I still wanted one. $250 plus UPS ground. It's on the way. Don't know if it's better or worse than some of the others, but it's the one I wanted and I think the price was right.

Randy

Old 02-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
How do they get the JCW so cheap? Does it come without the filter or something??

Old 02-25-2006, 10:35 AM
daemon2
4th Gear
Thanks Randy - Filter Cost?

Originally Posted by aa5ib
The JCW from Helix had been on backorder. They called me today to ask if I still wanted one. $250 plus UPS ground. It's on the way. Don't know if it's better or worse than some of the others, but it's the one I wanted and I think the price was right.

Randy
I will get in touch with Helix. Does anyone know the JCW filter replacement cost?

Old 02-25-2006, 10:56 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Drillslinger
How do they get the JCW so cheap? Does it come without the filter or something??

helix also sells the JCW injectors - i think they buy the sets & split them up....

-jac

Old 02-25-2006, 10:58 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
I think the replacement JCW filter is in the $90-100 range. I am not 100% sure on that, but IIRC when i was looking at them they were about that much. Once of the reasons i decided to go with the reusable ALTA.

Originally Posted by daemon2
I will get in touch with Helix. Does anyone know the JCW filter replacement cost?

Quick Reply: CAI - looking for recommendations