Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

My mom ran my brand new MCS bone dry out of gas!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2003, 05:28 PM
itsthedirtybird
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much can this damage the engine management or anything else in the car? I want to know so I can either get really mad or just move on.

Old 01-22-2003, 05:34 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Look at the bright side - it's a MINI and easy to push to the gas station.

Old 01-22-2003, 05:37 PM
itsthedirtybird
3rd Gear
thanks luckily she was close to home and my dad rushed over a few gallons of Super 91 octane

Old 01-22-2003, 06:03 PM
Azwed
5th Gear
Shouldn't hurt it at all really.

Just make sure that you let the key sit in the 'on' position for a few seconds so that the fuel pump can represurazie the system.

Old 01-22-2003, 07:04 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's harder on a fuel pump when the tank is close to empty. Anything really less than 1/4 of a tank, and the pump works harder. When it's run dry, it's takes more of a beating still. I usually don't go anything less than a 1/4 of a tank. I don't exactly keep it full, due to adding too much weight. It's also a bit harder on the eninge to all of a sudden run dry and still want to move. I'd really try not to have this happen too often.
I'd say just 'move on' as you said this time, but with a warning for her not to do it on a regular basis. Ask to to at least leave a 1/4 of a tank in at all times. If she doesn't want to respect that, than no useage, right? I'd take the keys away from her for awhile to teach her a lesson in respect for cars.
Cheers,

Old 01-22-2003, 09:52 PM
Minimoto
2nd Gear
I'd say give her a "time-out!"
If she can't explain why her actions were cruel toward your MINI, then I'd suggest sending her to bed without dinner.
Parents just have to learn respect for others' playthings. ops:

Old 01-22-2003, 09:59 PM
itsthedirtybird
3rd Gear
I am over it now. I had a little chat with her and she did offer to give me back the key. But she did make one key comment that made me give it back to her, "We bought you the car. and it is under our names (father and mother)"

Old 01-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Minimoto
2nd Gear
D@mn,
She plays dirty. Just a little talking to, and she whipped the guilt "thing" right out? Wow, I don't want to play against her...ever! A guy could get hurt...

Old 01-23-2003, 06:43 AM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>I usually don't go anything less than a 1/4 of a tank. I don't exactly keep it full, due to adding too much weight.

Hmmm. So, it sounds like you try to keep it between 1/4 and 3/4 full, no? In other words, you only use about 1/2 of the gas tank. Jeeeshh! That's a lot of time at the gas station! Some of my regular (at least once a week) trips would require me to stop for gas 1/2 way there!

Sorry, sounds like to much of a pain in the a$$ for me. If Molly wasn't a daily driver, then maybe.

Old 01-23-2003, 06:47 AM
wwwebb
5th Gear
Mom and Dad own the car. That is too funny that they pulled that key comment out of their hat. If you are close to 18, pack it up and move out. You can get a lot in the mini. There is a whole thread on it. If you don't want to move out, get some piercings and go goth.!

Kidding, just tell em to put ef*#in gas in it. Pinheads.

Old 01-23-2003, 06:49 AM
jsun
6th Gear
I'm with Mini2Go... I drive the car daily and can't coordinate my driving to always be at a gas station before I go below a 1/4 tank. Yeah, maybe the pump would last longer if I didn't do that, but it's academic to me. I've always driven my cars below 1/4 tank and have never replaced a fuel pump due to wear (and I generally get 150K out of a car).

Old 01-23-2003, 06:55 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Everything will be fine. Trust me. How do I know it will be fine? Cause I've run out of gas TWICE in my MCS already!

DO NOT TRUST the "range" computer when it shows below 30 miles or when the needle is even close to touching the red mark. I've run out of gas with 17 and 24 miles on the "range", both times the needle wasn't even touching the red mark. I don't think I'd go so far as to say to run to a gas station when you have a quarter tank, but definitely do not let the range fall below 30 or risk running out of gas immediately.

R

Old 01-23-2003, 06:59 AM
kgladstone
3rd Gear
I haven't gotten my MINI yet. How big is the gas tank?

Old 01-23-2003, 07:10 AM
madpoet
1st Gear
The manual says don't let the range fall below 50 miles -- I've taken past that but I don't like it.

-Eric

Old 01-23-2003, 07:13 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
That range computer is a dirty lier. I know people that have gotten the computer down to 0...and then there's my computer that is actually at 0 when it's displaying around 20. Grrrrrrr

R

Old 01-23-2003, 11:47 AM
RandyBMC
Temporarily Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
itsthedirtybird,

It really isn't a problem at all for the computer, and the pump only ran dry for a couple of seconds before the motor shut off.

As far as not running less than 1/4 of a tank - BAH! The fuel pump works just as hard when the tank is full as it does with 1/8th of a tank. As long as there is fuel over the pick-up point in the tank, the pump is lubricated and there are no problems. The pump is delivering the same psi no matter what the tank level is.

This used to be conventional wisdom to prevent sediment form getting into the system, but there are several safegaurds that make this a non-issue now - raised fuel pick-ups, fuel filters, and better fuel quality and storage tank cleanliness.

I am usually at 1/4 or so, to avoid the weight.

I actually ran mine bone dry when it was new - I actually thought the trip computer worked! It still said I had thirty plus miles left. I haven't had any issues since - just don't trust that computer!

Randy

Old 01-23-2003, 12:02 PM
sirron
5th Gear

Give your mum a fake key.

I guess I should be glad I didn't pay for a computer.

It seems like a fair percentage of MINI owners are paranoid about weight. Weight of gas, weight of seats, weight of wheels and on and on and on. I wonder what the average weight of MINI owners is?

Old 01-23-2003, 05:55 PM
Meenee.Coopah
4th Gear
>>
>>
>>
>>Give your mum a fake key.
>>
>>I guess I should be glad I didn't pay for a computer.
>>
>>It seems like a fair percentage of MINI owners are paranoid about weight. Weight of gas, weight of seats, weight of wheels and on and on and on. I wonder what the average weight of MINI owners is?
>>
>>

TOO funny! heheheh I don't even want to think about my weight, let alone how much "rides in each corner". Maybe Meenee could use a Subway diet?!?!?

Old 01-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Pebbles
6th Gear
OH, If the car's in your Mom and Dad's name, then I know your Dad has already made your Mom feel bad for running out of gas! She probably loves that little car as much as you do!! :smile:

Old 01-23-2003, 07:11 PM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear
>>>>I usually don't go anything less than a 1/4 of a tank. I don't exactly keep it full, due to adding too much weight.
>>
>>Hmmm. So, it sounds like you try to keep it between 1/4 and 3/4 full, no? In other words, you only use about 1/2 of the gas tank. Jeeeshh! That's a lot of time at the gas station! Some of my regular (at least once a week) trips would require me to stop for gas 1/2 way there!
>>
>>Sorry, sounds like to much of a pain in the a$$ for me. If Molly wasn't a daily driver, then maybe.
I really like to *drive* my car. The least amount the weight being hauled around, the better. Makes for a happier experience.
Cheers,

Old 01-23-2003, 08:28 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I won't disagree that you are going to get better performance with less weight - and that more gas is more weight. All true.

I'm just saying that I'm more than willing to trade off that wee bit of performance gain during my every day driving on regular roads to not have to stop at the gas station every other day. (With the mileage I typically drive, it might even be every day.) Even if it's only 5 minutes per stop, times 7 days that's over a 1/2 hour of my week wasted at the pump. I'd rather be MOTORING!

Old 01-24-2003, 09:02 PM
itsthedirtybird
3rd Gear
>>I haven't gotten my MINI yet. How big is the gas tank?

12.3 gallons.

by the way gas weighs right around 8 pounds per gallon so you are saving 40-50 pounds leaving it at half a tank

Old 01-24-2003, 09:16 PM
MiniCD
5th Gear
>>>>I haven't gotten my MINI yet. How big is the gas tank?
>>
>>
>>12.3 gallons.

You were cheated! My tank is 13.2.
>>
>>by the way gas weighs right around 8 pounds per gallon so you are saving 40-50 pounds leaving it at half a tank

Water is 8 pounds per gallon, gas is 6.

Old 01-28-2003, 08:34 PM
bbmykal
4th Gear
>>That range computer is a dirty lier.<<

I have the NAV and try to fill'er up as soon as the last one comes on, that usually leaves me around the 60 miles left on the "range computer. 1/4 tank is always good to have as a minimum especially in the winter.

Old 01-29-2003, 04:50 AM
MINI-MadMan
6th Gear

>>As far as not running less than 1/4 of a tank - BAH! The fuel pump works just as hard when the tank is full as it does with 1/8th of a tank. As long as there is fuel over the pick-up point in the tank, the pump is lubricated and there are no problems. The pump is delivering the same psi no matter what the tank level is.

The problem I've seen when that low (1/8-1/4 tank) is when hard cornering, aggresive driving, hill climbing or atuo-X, that little amount of fuel that is in the car, shifts around. I've had friends stall out because of this, and wonder why. Make the pump run dry enough times, and I'm sure it'll create a problem somewhere down the line. Just my opinion.
Cheers,

Quick Reply: My mom ran my brand new MCS bone dry out of gas!!