Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

First month of ownership--very frustrated!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 11:41 AM
kellis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First month of ownership--very frustrated!

This is a very long story…I will try to keep it as short as possible but so much has happened in a short time! I’m a brand new MINI owner (picked up my car on 5/14/2005). I ordered it in April 2005, waited 5 weeks anticipating its arrival and finally drove it off the lot with a happy smile on my face…

Then, on 5/23, as I was pulling out from a stop sign, my MINI went into limp mode! Rough idle, virtually no response to gas pedal, EML light on, SES light on. I pulled into, of all places, a Ford dealer and called MINI roadside assistance. They told me my car wasn’t even in their system yet. I gave her my VIN number so she added it to their system. She told me it would be less than 75 minutes before the tow truck arrived. Meantime, I called my son in Germany (an engineer with BMW). He explained the limp mode to me and suggested I start it back up again. Power was back but EML light and SES light remained on. I had it flatbedded to the dealer. I was shocked and dismayed to be riding in the front seat of a tow truck with my brand new MINI on the back.

After talking to Germany and replicating the problem themselves, the dealer replaced the bypass valve to the supercharger and sent me on my way (4 days later).

One week to the day after picking up the car, my MINI reacted the exact same way! Went into limp mode. This time I was not quite as alarmed so I called service right away, restarted it, drove around a parking lot to see if I had power, drove it home without trusting it AT ALL and drove it to the dealer first thing Friday morning. Needless to say, I let them know how unhappy I was!

So, this time they found the same error codes, talked to Germany again and they were told to replace the EMK assembly plus two sensors. (Map and Tmap, I think).

OK, so I picked up the car 6 days later. Drove it for 2 ½ days, trying to trust it but not being very successful. The third day after I picked it up, I put the car in reverse in a parking lot and get an EP message.

I called the dealer (Saturday afternoon at 4:30—service closed!) and tell them I’ll be right there to drop this car off and to have a car ready for me. They did and I left the dealer so frustrated that I’m going through this with a brand new car!

This morning, 3 days later, I called service and was told that I had a transmission problem (duh!) and that they have the part from another MCS with CVT that had the same problem but was totaled. They were waiting to hear back from Germany and would let me know what’s happening. That was 6 hours ago and I have yet to hear back.

Any input that anyone has would be greatly appreciated. I left it squarely in the dealer’s hands to figure out what they’re going to do in this situation. Three times in less than 30 days for problems that definitely affect driveability!

By the way, I love the car but not the problems!

MCS Auto w/Steptronic paddles, HB/B, Sports, Premium, Cold weather, HK, Lapis Blue Leather

Last edited by kellis; 06-14-2005 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Get rid of all the formatting
Old 06-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Johnny L
4th Gear
Sorry to hear about all of this. Hand in there, make the dealer/MINI get your car right! Good luck! :smile:

Old 06-15-2005, 09:54 AM
YYC
4th Gear
kellis,

Have a look at this thread re: MCSa software problem...it may be relevant.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=41378

And here is the Service Bulletin:
http://www.gbmini.net/gallery/genera...measure?full=1

Old 06-15-2005, 10:07 AM
YYC
4th Gear
Another thought...

Also look at this thread:
Supercharger bypass valve and the following quote:

Originally Posted by CustomAV
The car is in limp mode....
....Had this problem and it was a faulty harness issue to the Throttle body.

My friend's mom has a new 05 and she has had the problem twice. First they replaced the bypass valve. The second time they replaced the throttle body and harness. Problem solved...

Old 06-15-2005, 10:21 AM
kellis
1st Gear
Thanks and an update

Originally Posted by YYC
Another thought...

Also look at this thread:
Supercharger bypass valve and the following quote:
So good to hear that someone had the same problem and it it fixed!

Talked to my SA this morning and they will be replacing the "coated control unit" for the transmission as soon as Germany gives them the OK. I may have the car back today.

My hope is that, with all these parts replaced, I won't have any more major problems and I can get on with enjoying this great car!

When I have it back, I'll get some photos and post them. What a fun car to drive...that was the criteria for a new car and why I picked a MINI since I've been driving Miatas for the past 12 years (4 different ones)!

Old 06-15-2005, 10:23 AM
kaelaria
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, hang in there, it IS worth it! I feel for you, having such depressing issues when all you want to do is go have fun with your awesome new ride. Have faith that things will be worked out - but as I'm sure you're already doing, keep an eye on the dealer, don't fall for and BS, and remain firm. The factory does everything it can to prevent things like this, but the dealer is supposed to be there when they do happen. If things don't start improving, consider the lemon laws in your state, and make sure the dealer is aware of your intentions. You are fully entitled to the product you paid for and there are laws to protect that.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:34 AM
kellis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kaelaria
Yes, hang in there, it IS worth it! I feel for you, having such depressing issues when all you want to do is go have fun with your awesome new ride. Have faith that things will be worked out - but as I'm sure you're already doing, keep an eye on the dealer, don't fall for and BS, and remain firm. The factory does everything it can to prevent things like this, but the dealer is supposed to be there when they do happen. If things don't start improving, consider the lemon laws in your state, and make sure the dealer is aware of your intentions. You are fully entitled to the product you paid for and there are laws to protect that.
I am definitely staying on top of the dealer. They admitted yesterday that I should not have had my new MINI in for service 3 times in 30 days. Since the 2nd time, I have talked to them about buy-backs because it is so time-consuming and frustrating. My SA told me this morning that the process of buying-back is very complicated, blah, blah, blah. I asked if he was trying to discourage me. But really, all I want is my car fixed and for it to gain my confidence back by not quitting on me!

So, after they replace the "coated control unit" for the transmission (supposedly the fix for the EP light), we'll see.

Old 06-15-2005, 10:35 AM
kellis
1st Gear
YYC,

The post you quoted from CustomAV was actually referring to my car!

We'll see if it really is fixed.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:42 AM
YYC
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kellis
YYC,

The post you quoted from CustomAV was actually referring to my car!

We'll see if it really is fixed.
Yes, there was a ring of similarity!! Sorry about that! :smile:

Old 06-15-2005, 11:59 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can tell by the first 'solution' to the problem that they are not approaching the problem correctly. If the supercharger bypass valve were to have failed (meaning: stuck open) the symptoms would not have been a stumbling car with absolutely no power and the check engine light on. This problem manifests itself as lowering of power due to little or no boost (basically your car changes from a MCS to a MC ).

Failure to arrive at a proper diagnosis and repair comes from dealer service techs being unfamiliar with the car's systems. Some are guilty of performing the same repair as they did in the last car that had similar problems or the 'most common solution' rather than drilling down the diagnosis on that particular car.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:51 PM
kellis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
I can tell by the first 'solution' to the problem that they are not approaching the problem correctly. If the supercharger bypass valve were to have failed (meaning: stuck open) the symptoms would not have been a stumbling car with absolutely no power and the check engine light on. This problem manifests itself as lowering of power due to little or no boost (basically your car changes from a MCS to a MC ).

Failure to arrive at a proper diagnosis and repair comes from dealer service techs being unfamiliar with the car's systems. Some are guilty of performing the same repair as they did in the last car that had similar problems or the 'most common solution' rather than drilling down the diagnosis on that particular car.
Thanks for your comment...sure doesn't boost my confidence in the techs. So far, I know that everything they do has to be reviewed and authorized by Germany. The 2nd service visit, I asked for copies of the correspondence and got it!

Right now, they tell me that Germany told them to hook my MINI up to a cable that connects to the wiring harness to do some diagnostics.

We'll wait and see! BTW, will be off line for a few days but keep the replies coming!

Old 06-15-2005, 01:58 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Am I the only one who finds it odd that they would tell you that you're getting a used part from a totalled car instead of a new one? I'm sure it saves some time, but how can you really know that it's a flawless piece?

Old 06-15-2005, 02:18 PM
haskindmh
2nd Gear
This dealer is stacking BS so high it is liable to fall on him! I doubt very seriously that they are calling germany to find out how to fix your car. If they are that is a sign that they are clueless. They need to diagnose the problem with your car and your car is sitting in their service bay. It is not in Germany! They need to stop "throwing parts at the problem" and do the diagnostics. Engineers in Germany cannot do that for them. It is called being a mechanic, not a parts replacer. It would be different if this was an intermitent problem. I sympathize with a technician that is trying to fix a problem that does not exist while he has the car in his stall, but this is ridiculous. The car is broken; there are only so many things that can cause it, get off the phone and diagnose the problem! Jeesh!

Old 06-15-2005, 05:38 PM
MiniMaxx
5th Gear
I know you are trying to be nice and really just want your car back in proper working order. I don't know what state you are in but if you were in Wisconsin you would be very close to your car qualifying as a "lemon". Laws of the different states vary and may be technical with deadlines and specific forms or procedures that must be followed exactly. Any mistep on your part may cause you to lose your rights. It is hard to be objective in your position. The new car smell(which I think is secretly formulated to be instantly addictive...lol), the driving excitement and the whole "new car aura" form the "perfect storm" which Auto dealers and manufacturers rely on to keep their lemon law responsibility to a minimum. They know you "just want your car back" and some may just string you along until it is to late. Don't worry about being nice to a multi billion dollar corporation. They'll be ok. There is too much "wrong" with your new car to worry about making waves. We have 2 Minis that have been trouble free since day one and so do thousands of others. You deserve a Mini which is trouble free from day one too. If you feel confident in your resolve and your ability to go "toe to toe" with the manufacturer (who is who you will be dealing with, not the dealer) then document EVERYTHING, familiarize yourself with the laws of your state and demand a new car. If not, talk to a lawyer. Many specalize in "lemon law" cases. Sometimes all it takes is a letter from a lawyer and suddenly the "complicated" business of getting a new(most likely trouble free) car becomes easy and much less expensive than you think. Don't be a . You spent too much $$$ for a car that from day one they don't have a clue what's wrong. Be a until you get your new "new" car. then you'll be a :smile: .
MiniMaxx

Old 06-15-2005, 05:56 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
kellis, what state are you in? I really agree with those suggesting you research lemon laws. You may be able to get a new MINI from all your troubles. And since when do the US techs talk to Germany? I thought they spoke with MINIUSA techs!!???

I am so sorry this has happened to you...how awful to have your new MINI experience so tainted. Hope they make it right for you ASAP!! :smile:

Clover

Old 06-15-2005, 06:18 PM
Dr Evil
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
kellis, what state are you in? I really agree with those suggesting you research lemon laws. You may be able to get a new MINI from all your troubles. And since when do the US techs talk to Germany? I thought they spoke with MINIUSA techs!!???

I am so sorry this has happened to you...how awful to have your new MINI experience so tainted. Hope they make it right for you ASAP!! :smile:

Clover
I second this..

Old 06-15-2005, 06:46 PM
kellis
1st Gear
Here's the latest

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm in South Carolina and have already done my research on the lemon law. The SC law states that they have a "reasonable" opportunity to fix the problem (3x with the same problem--I have had 2 tries on the EML/limp mode problem) OR they have to have the car a cumulative total of 30 days within the warranty period. So, I'm not quite there yet but I am definitely counting the days!!!

But, I finally got some definitive information from MINI service. They did hook the car up to the diagnostics and they are going to replace the DME.

Talking to my son (BMW engineer), he believes this is a good step in the right direction.

Anyone else out there been through having the DME replaced?

I'm supposed to have my car back on Friday!

Old 06-15-2005, 06:50 PM
gmcdonnell
4th Gear
I'm not terribly bright. What's the DME? /gary

Old 06-15-2005, 06:51 PM
kellis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniMaxx
I know you are trying to be nice and really just want your car back in proper working order. I don't know what state you are in but if you were in Wisconsin you would be very close to your car qualifying as a "lemon". Laws of the different states vary and may be technical with deadlines and specific forms or procedures that must be followed exactly. Any mistep on your part may cause you to lose your rights. It is hard to be objective in your position. The new car smell(which I think is secretly formulated to be instantly addictive...lol), the driving excitement and the whole "new car aura" form the "perfect storm" which Auto dealers and manufacturers rely on to keep their lemon law responsibility to a minimum. They know you "just want your car back" and some may just string you along until it is to late. Don't worry about being nice to a multi billion dollar corporation. They'll be ok. There is too much "wrong" with your new car to worry about making waves. We have 2 Minis that have been trouble free since day one and so do thousands of others. You deserve a Mini which is trouble free from day one too. If you feel confident in your resolve and your ability to go "toe to toe" with the manufacturer (who is who you will be dealing with, not the dealer) then document EVERYTHING, familiarize yourself with the laws of your state and demand a new car. If not, talk to a lawyer. Many specalize in "lemon law" cases. Sometimes all it takes is a letter from a lawyer and suddenly the "complicated" business of getting a new(most likely trouble free) car becomes easy and much less expensive than you think. Don't be a . You spent too much $$$ for a car that from day one they don't have a clue what's wrong. Be a until you get your new "new" car. then you'll be a :smile: .
MiniMaxx
I hear you but have also read many posts of people having these and other problems! Based on what I'm seeing, I'm part of a group of people having problems with their MINIs that do not seem to be resolved easily!

We'll see what the new DME will do and go from there. I have not ruled out pursuing a new car but really don't feel much like going through the battle if I don't have to...

Old 06-15-2005, 06:54 PM
kellis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gmcdonnell
I'm not terribly bright. What's the DME? /gary
It's the module that controls all of the electronics...apparently the EP light indicating the transmission problem was due to a brake sensor that was not working right so the transmission didn't get the message from the brake sensor that the brakes were being applied and the transmission thought it was slowing down with braking and therefore the error light. So I'm told.

I'm told this is a pretty costly part that they don't replace lightly.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:56 PM
kellis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chrisnl
Am I the only one who finds it odd that they would tell you that you're getting a used part from a totalled car instead of a new one? I'm sure it saves some time, but how can you really know that it's a flawless piece?
Maybe I was unclear. It was not a part taken out of a totalled car but rather a part ordered for a car that was totalled before the part was installed.

Anyhow, they didn't end up proceeding in that direction!

Old 06-15-2005, 07:12 PM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
Have they given you a MCSa loaner while you wait on yours?

Old 06-15-2005, 07:15 PM
kellis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MINIMAXXNC
Have they given you a MCSa loaner while you wait on yours?
I've had 3 loaners now. 2 manuals trans, current on is a MCa. I want my car back! Tired of loaners.

Old 06-28-2005, 10:53 AM
kellis
1st Gear
DME replaced...

Just wanted to let everyone know that my car is back (I've been driving it for 4 days now) after having the DME replaced. So far, so good.

I'll keep you posted! Hopefully, I can get on with enjoying my MINI!

Old 06-28-2005, 11:24 AM
Goose
3rd Gear
First of all, glad to hear that MINI finally took care of things (knock wood).

This kind of post makes me nervous, as my "local" dealer is about 100 miles away. While I realize that a car with as much character as the MINI can be cut a little slack, such things can be annoying at the very least.

Sometime ago, I had a somewhat unreliable VW product for a little over year -- getting rid of it after suffering through several well-documented problems. Even though the problems were well-known to VW, they were slow in providing replacement parts and unapologetic about the delays.

Despite being gun-shy after my VW fiasco, the pleasure of driving is outweighing the desire for bullet-proof reliability. I'm worried that German-engineered cars are becoming increasingly unreliable relative to other options. Without very tight quality control of subassemblies, highly complex electronics can easily cripple an otherwise well-designed car; I'm afraid that BMW/MINI may be failing in this department.

My hope is that a well-cared for MINI, in an unmodified state, should be very reliable. Sorry, just voicing my concerns...

Quick Reply: First month of ownership--very frustrated!