Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Low Speed Turning Drive-train Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 01:04 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Low Speed Turning Drive-train Noise

I have an '05 MCS. All is great with it although I have one concern....

When just starting to move forward, only while turning, I hear drive-train noise that sounds a bit loud to me. It sounds like a non-lubricated rubbing. I can also keep the sound happening if I do donuts at a slow, slow speed in a parking lot or the such.

Has anyone experienced this and/or know what the problem might be or if it is a problem at all?

Thanks for testing and replying!

PS I have 5300 miles on our MCS and it is a manual trans w/ LSD and sport package.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:15 PM
minimort
5th Gear
It's the Electronic power steering

Old 04-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
If you got your '10 motoring idiocyncracies' or something like that (mine was folded up in the glovebox), it talks about the 'noisy' power steering and how it's perfectly normal.

<joke>
That or it's your tranny. Come on over to my house and I'll make an even swap out - my NOISE FREE '04 6 speed for your revised ratio gearbox with LSD. </joke>

Old 04-15-2005, 01:45 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Isn't the power steering sound more of an electrical motor sound instead of a non-lubricated rubbing sound?

Old 04-15-2005, 01:56 PM
kapps
6th Gear
The power steering motor is a high pitched whine (kinda like the supercharger whine at very high rpm's). It gets louder the harder you turn (or the slower your going when you turn).

Old 04-15-2005, 02:07 PM
cincymcs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have an '05 with the LSD, and hear the same noise, and I've been told that the noise is simply the LSD getting ready to do its job, and is nothing to worry about.

Old 04-15-2005, 02:15 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by cincymcs
I also have an '05 with the LSD, and hear the same noise, and I've been told that the noise is simply the LSD getting ready to do its job, and is nothing to worry about.
Ahh...thank you. Thank you all! Of course, if it isn't any of these things...it is still under warranty!

Old 04-15-2005, 02:20 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Did you get this info from the dealer?

Old 04-19-2005, 10:43 PM
andromcs
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by andromcs
Did you get this info from the dealer?
BUMP!!

CincyMCS....please tell us where you got your info as we are worried about this sound and want to be sure that it is normal.

Many thanks.

Old 04-19-2005, 11:00 PM
JeffS
5th Gear
If the lsd is a clutch-pack as I've been hearing, then some noise during low-speed turning should be expected.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:40 AM
cincymcs
2nd Gear
The LSD is a clutch-pack.

As far as who told me that this was normal.........it was a friend of mine who used to work in the automotive field, but he does not work for a dealer. To be sure about this, it wouldn't hurt to ask your dealer.

Old 04-20-2005, 05:42 AM
Wiggles
4th Gear
Yeah, I've got the same noise on my MCSwLSD. It's the LSD. I had a similar noise on my Torsen LSD equipped Miata. Not to worry, unless you stop hearing it.

CB

Old 05-16-2005, 08:22 AM
cooperSharon
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have the noise in my January build S. No suspension mods with stock 16" rims. What bothers me is that I didn't notice it until recently (just hit 4200 miles). If is a characteristic of the LSD, why didn't it do it all along? I haven't brought this up to my dealer yet.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:41 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
HAHAHAHA...who said that?

Old 07-06-2005, 07:49 PM
aquaanox
2nd Gear
i have the same noise on a 05 mcsa without LSD.. slight rubbing/grinding noise (very very low noise) while making a slow turn. Can hear/feel it at night in a parking lot. Hard to believe its the power steering since its not a whine.

Old 08-26-2005, 12:56 PM
WhatUglyBrutes
2nd Gear
My MCS with LSD is making the same noise. I began hearing the moaning noise around 2000 miles and I'm just over 3000 now. My dealership doesn't know where the noise is coming from but they acknowledge that it doesn't sound right.

Old 08-26-2005, 01:01 PM
aquaanox
2nd Gear
i took mine in to the dealer, and they swear its the directional non-runflat tires. I even heard it on another mini with LSD and run-flats. They checked the strut mounts and everything was fine, wheel bearings were fine as well....

Old 08-27-2005, 09:28 PM
GrilleGuy
2nd Gear
I was wondering about this too. I have an MCSC w/ LSD. I checked underneath tonight (while I had the front bumper removed to make up a grille) as I thought something was rubbing. I was also thinking tranny or wheel bearings. Never thought about the LSD. I only hear is like in parking lots or etc. and don't recall it the first 1000 or so miles and I am pretty **** about this car.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:29 AM
sodly
1st Gear
same noise and... what would you do?

I have the same issue on my '05 JCW. Just started at 1800 miles. Sort of a rubbing/binding sound from left front wheel. Notice it mostly when going slow, in and out of the garage, in parking lots, etc. upon tight left turns. Wasn't there until recently. I have the LSD, but I don't buy the clutch pack explanation. It only does in in one direction. Took it to the dealer and they found a loose tie rod bolt (how encouraging on a brand new car!!!) and thought the problem was resolved. Brought it home and the noise was still there, only more muted. Took it back to the dealer and they now claim to have replaced every left front wheel part but can't seem to eliminate the noise. At first it sounded more like a CV joint binding up on each turn of the wheel but now it has devolved into more of a rubbing sound, as you've described. I wonder if we're hearing the same thing. They've called a Mini PUMA (whatever that is) and the regional rep is supposed to be coming out to diagnose the issue soon. It has been over 2 weeks without the car now and still no answers.

Even worse yet... they damaged my brand new car while they had it. Put a huge gouge (down to the primer) and two small dings in my door. Likely done by a lawn mower at the dealership (the scratches have grass green rubbed into them). Of course, they're offering to repaint the area, but to me a repainted car is damaged goods because the re-paint will never be as good or long-lasting as the hi temp, baked on factory finish. That's assuming they can even get a good match on Electric Blue so you can't see where it was re-sprayed. Am I being paranoid? Too picky? What would you ask for in compensation? This is our second JCW Mini purchased from this dealership, but this experience has been a complete nightmare (trust me, there's even more to the story that I'm not telling here). I'd like to know what you'd do if they gouged your near-new $35K Mini while it was in for service 200 miles from home.

Old 10-26-2005, 09:09 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, you are being paranoid--but for all the right reasons! You remind me of me...sad, really. This happened to me once with an Acura--the chains broke as they were pulling the chassis after an accident. They never got the chassis right, then clear coated primer overspray on a white car...Aargh, the memory send chills up my spine. Anyway, I traded that car after 3 months because the joojoo was so bad. I hope you can get over it, as I couldn't.

btw, isn't $35k a little too much to pay for a JCW? I have $30K in my 05 MCS and it blows a JCW away at the dyno and the track... And it sounds like the factory warranty is the *worst* thing you could have if the dealers are this incompetent. Every time I take my car in they just say "it's supposed to do that..."

Good luck,
cheers,

Old 10-28-2005, 04:25 PM
sodly
1st Gear
update

The dealer flew in one of two top Mini techs to look at and listen to my noise. They say I need a new transmission now. That means I will be without the car for over three weeks, all told. Not to mention a trip to the body shop to repaint my new car because the let it get damaged while in their care. Are tranny replacements that unusual these days? Seems I've heard of others getting new trannys. Wow-- this car's starting to strike me as a lemon! What a mess!

Old 10-29-2005, 06:19 PM
btal40
2nd Gear
mine was doing the exact same thing - they are putting in my tranny as we speak

Old 11-07-2005, 09:02 AM
LordOfTheFlies
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine does the same thing. I hope my dealer will replace my tranny.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:09 AM
dragonwang
3rd Gear
My car recently started having that same non-lubricating rubber sound coming from the bottom. My car does not have LSD so I know that factor is out the door. We've pinpointed the noise coming from the rubber boot that's underneath the steering column near the gas pedal.

Old 11-07-2005, 09:21 AM
lsd05jcw
3rd Gear
yucks

My 2005 with 7500 miles makes the same minor sound at very low speed, kinda sounds like the differential lube is getting warmed up and the gears/clutch plates are getting warmed up, then the sound goes away after a minute or so... The car performs flawlessly, with 5 track days thus far, and hopefully many many more... I will mention to my dealer but really didn't feel this was a big deal...

How was the conclusion of a defective transmission arrived at? Also, by the way, my 2005 with lsd, xenons, JCW tuning and suspension came at 30k...

Not to highjack this thread, but anyone have problems with a crack in their brake caliper piston dust boot. Mine is small, less than a 1/4 inch, but none-the-less annoying... I will replace (as it surfaced post a 2 day track event) or ask the dealer if I can't easily do it...

Quick Reply: Low Speed Turning Drive-train Noise