Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Claim that not going to v39 may void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 05:13 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Claim that not going to v39 may void warranty?

I called up Mini USA to inquire about the recall notice I got in the mail (mistake #1). They said I will need the "updated" version of the ECU software (ie. v39). What shocked me, tho, is that they said if I don't bring in the car in a "Reasonable" period for the upgrade- I am at risk for voiding the warranty??? I find this hard to believe. I should be up for service #1 around May "ish".

I'm not about to take her out of the garage after tech-waxing, and lexoling the interior! She's hibernating for till March! Additionally, v38 introduced the cold start issue and my idle get's lumpy sometimes- but the yo-yo is minimal, traction control works proper, cruise control is sharp and no stumble... Fuel econ remains at 32MPG highway too...

Old 12-15-2004, 05:39 AM
countrym
6th Gear
If you go in for service, they'll reflash your software, whether you want it or not. So if you are still under warranty, you have to get dealer service, and if you have to get dealer service, you have to get the reflash.

FWIW, I just had it done on Monday, and I only have good things to say about it so far. It eliminated my yo-yo.

My theory is that if your MINI already runs well, the reflash won't hurt it. If you have issues, it won't neccesarily correct them.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:10 AM
grnmene
1st Gear
You're wrong about the cold-start issue. I still have the original s/w ('03 MCS, Nov. 02 build) and have had the cold start problem since new (no yo-yo though). I just told the dealer to leave the s/w alone when I took it in for service, and they were very understanding about it.

However, the recall changes all of that, since now the dealers must update the s/w. Hopefully ver. 39 or whatever the latest is won't be as bad as some of the previous versions.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:24 AM
zfxr
5th Gear
Actually v38 introduced the cold-start issue. The idle was always a little but lumpy, not sure if v38 made it worse or now. I'm just hoping that v39 doesn't solve some problem and create another

Old 12-15-2004, 08:35 AM
jinubob81
4th Gear
weird...

v38 eliminated my cold start issue.

it seems like if bmw/mini actually wants to fix anything, they might just want to custom map all the problem cars.

which... will never happen.

we're all screwed.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:05 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zfxr
What shocked me, tho, is that they said if I don't bring in the car in a "Reasonable" period for the upgrade- I am at risk for voiding the warranty???
A logical person would extend "reasonable period of time" to mean actual miles driven rather than days on a calendar. If you're not going to be driving the car until March, it seems rather foolish to worry about the recall until then. But, that's just one man's opinion.

Old 12-15-2004, 11:51 AM
aminicooper
4th Gear
For my MCS I had the cold start issue and was flashed with v32 or v34 (I dont remember) this caused the 1st gear stumble. The stumble went away with v36. Just got v39, which didnt induce anything new (just rolled 200 miles with the new flash) it appears that the car feels better with v39 than with v36. Its still too early to tell... need to put on some more miles to see if things revert back to a off and on sluggish state.

Old 12-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
wait till may. you should not have any problems. i have 39 and have not had any problems. they should let winter storage be a good reason.

Old 12-16-2004, 11:35 PM
plugot
2nd Gear
Idle Issues

I've been running v39 for a little over 6 weeks and it's mostly been an improvement. Generally the car is just overall smoother. However, it has now developed an occassional lumpiness at idle. Previously the car's idle, regardless of temperature, was consistent. It reminds me of my old 67 MGB that would idle roughly if the carb was out of adjustment. I don't know what the dealer can or will do except reflash it. I assume I'm runninng 39.2, but maybe it's 39.1. Anybody know the difference?

Old 12-17-2004, 08:59 PM
gomezmgg
3rd Gear
Greetings from Nevada!

Yesterday I got my 04 MCS back from the dealer. I had an alarm installed and an early oil change (4400 miles) and since I was on the recall list they flashed me with the new software. I was skeptical, but my Service Advisor promised it would be an improvement. I'm one of the fortunate ones, my car has only had a minor case of the yo-yo's since I got it in January 04 (build date is October 03) and I've pretty much leaned to drive around it and enjoy the car anyway. Well as soon as I drove off it seemed like the car had lost some midrange punch (of course it was cold too). I got on the beltway and freeway and put about 50 "brisk" (85-90mph) miles on the car. Finally I had to get back to work and as I drove the surface streets back to my office it did seem to drive better; smoother and with no yo-yo! My wife crashed her Acura on Monday so I've been using the MINI as my daily driver and I do believe it drives much better. I've even tried to make it yo-yo, and I can only get a hint of it if I really try.

BTW for those of you that have read my scathing report on the sales staff at Desert MINI here in Las Vegas, I have to say the service staff is much better. My driving cap is off to Dario for the great service I recieved during this visit.................mgg