Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Replacing the JBE on 2012 R56S

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 10:25 AM
iambazzy
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Replacing the JBE on 2012 R56S

Haven't posted here in ages, but feel this might help others in the future. My local Mini dealer replaced the HPFP under warranty, but said the car was still not running correctly. Code remaining was "2BF5 - Not present rail pressure sensor. Plausibility; Pressure too low before engine start." They said the LPFP and JBE would need to be replaced.

The LPFP is easy to change when it arrives, but i'm hoping the faulty JBE was misdiagnosed. It would be a massive pain to have it replaced at the dealer. Is there a definitive answer to finding a used JBE that will work without needing a recode? TIA

Old 12-14-2019, 06:11 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Sounds like it wasn't fully diagnosed if you were told you need both those things right off the bat. I've not seen a JBE cause issue with fuel pressure.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-15-2019, 08:41 AM
iambazzy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Sounds like it wasn't fully diagnosed if you were told you need both those things right off the bat. I've not seen a JBE cause issue with fuel pressure.
from my understanding, the LPFP relay is faulty, most likely from water damage from the moonroof drain piping. You can’t replace the relay, the whole assembly has to be swapped. I’m nearing 100k, and I hear the LPFP and fuel filter should be replaced anyhow. Hoping that will solve the issue

Old 12-15-2019, 02:39 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
Originally Posted by iambazzy
from my understanding, the LPFP relay is faulty, most likely from water damage from the moonroof drain piping. You can’t replace the relay, the whole assembly has to be swapped. I’m nearing 100k, and I hear the LPFP and fuel filter should be replaced anyhow. Hoping that will solve the issue
if that's the failure you can bypass the relay and if the pump works you only need the JBE and not a pump also.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-18-2019, 05:58 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
If the code says fuel rail pressure sensor not present, I would start there. Get the live data going when you start the car and while it is running (if it can run). I had two instances where the fuel rail pressure sensor went bad. regarding the JBE, you can %100 buy a used one with a matching part number. It is plug and play at least for what you're trying to do but it is recommended to program/code it. That can be done with cheap software available online.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:06 AM
iambazzy
2nd Gear
Well I did install a new LPFP and the car fired right up. Took it for a test drive around some twisties, stopped at a parts store to pick up a brake light bulb, and it died again. Sputtered a few times at first but now there is nothing but starter noises. I don't hear the pump prime when I open the door. I'm going off of what my dealer said, but I removed the JBE and took it apart.. It looks practically brand new, although I couldn't see where the relay is soldered on the second board. I haven't seen a used JBE with my numbering, but one has the last digit off. Does it ultimately matter which one I purchase, if I have to get it coded anyway? Should I just look for the same year, make, and model? I'll take it to Mini and have them code it to the car.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:18 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
One number off can be the difference between an S model and a non-S model. Realoem.com can give you cross reference to your part number. From what others experienced, the dealer won't code or program a module they didn't install, not sure.
I still think you should look at the live data for the fuel pressure before buying a JBE.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:44 PM
iambazzy
2nd Gear
Thanks for the advice. I talked to a buddy at my dealer and they said $450 for the part plus install. I'd still rather do the work myself and save hundreds on labor and towing, but I've searched high and low but i'm still just as confused as ever. I went to realoem.com and searched my car down to the manufacture date: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=61353457582

My part numbers just don't appear anywhere. When I search my part number online, nothing comes up. Am I missing something here? Surely I'm searching the wrong thing, right? Part number is 61.35 3456850-01 with a date of 27/12/11. Am I even searching the right numbers..?

Old 12-20-2019, 05:50 PM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
It happened to me few times. Your best bet is to look for fuse box from a similar car model with similar options. You can invest in winfkp and ncs expert for programming and coding. Check car-part.com for more options. When i get a chance, I'll look it up for you.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:58 PM
iambazzy
2nd Gear
I appreciate it. I forgot to search sold listings on eBay and it looks like i'm just searching for a really uncommon JBE. The seller mentions a little more info that will maybe help

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Cooper...MAAOSwUbZdf3rv

Old 12-21-2019, 04:53 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Originally Posted by iambazzy
Well I did install a new LPFP and the car fired right up. Took it for a test drive around some twisties, stopped at a parts store to pick up a brake light bulb, and it died again. Sputtered a few times at first but now there is nothing but starter noises. I don't hear the pump prime when I open the door. I'm going off of what my dealer said, but I removed the JBE and took it apart.. It looks practically brand new, although I couldn't see where the relay is soldered on the second board. I haven't seen a used JBE with my numbering, but one has the last digit off. Does it ultimately matter which one I purchase, if I have to get it coded anyway? Should I just look for the same year, make, and model? I'll take it to Mini and have them code it to the car.
Something interesting happened about the LPFP.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post4510362

Old 12-22-2019, 02:36 PM
iambazzy
2nd Gear
Hmm. So it's possible my new LPFP is faulty.. Is the best way to know by hooking up direct power to the pump and seeing it if primes? I read someone did that and fried it because it was constantly running, so maybe I could try to test the old one and see if it's still good first. Another possibility I think I read on here is a bad relay in the JBE caused my original LPFP to fry, and the new one worked until it was fried by the faulty JBE again.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:30 AM
WesG
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
If the code says fuel rail pressure sensor not present, I would start there. Get the live data going when you start the car and while it is running (if it can run). I had two instances where the fuel rail pressure sensor went bad. regarding the JBE, you can %100 buy a used one with a matching part number. It is plug and play at least for what you're trying to do but it is recommended to program/code it. That can be done with cheap software available online.
I am having the same situation with my Mini.

Do you know where I can buy a used JBE and program software.