Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Is this the cold start problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 05:45 AM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Don't get me wrong, it probably is the HPFP. It usually is. However, step 1 is replace the fuel filter because you definitely don't want to put a brand new HPFP in without doing that. Once you see your fuel filter, you will see why your HPFP failed in the first place.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:18 PM
david_foster
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mini-is-for-me
Don't get me wrong, it probably is the HPFP. It usually is. However, step 1 is replace the fuel filter because you definitely don't want to put a brand new HPFP in without doing that. Once you see your fuel filter, you will see why your HPFP failed in the first place.
Added an edit above after my trip to MINI. MINI read the codes on the misfire and diagnosed that the coils were bad. Apparently the lower octane gas is more likely to induce a misfire (their words not mine) and the raw gas helped. It passed state inspection in MA.

I specifically asked a number of times about the HPFP, and the service advisor went out to ask the tech to make sure there were no codes for it. (At least that's what he told me.) Apparently there were none, and according to them it wasn't part of the misfire. They offered their coils at $95 each, but I declined and will be ordering them online, probably from ECS.

Definitely changing all the filters and oil now (fuel, air, cabin, oil). Thanks for the help!

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:02 PM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Originally Posted by david_foster
Added an edit above after my trip to MINI. MINI read the codes on the misfire and diagnosed that the coils were bad. Apparently the lower octane gas is more likely to induce a misfire (their words not mine) and the raw gas helped. It passed state inspection in MA.

I specifically asked a number of times about the HPFP, and the service advisor went out to ask the tech to make sure there were no codes for it. (At least that's what he told me.) Apparently there were none, and according to them it wasn't part of the misfire. They offered their coils at $95 each, but I declined and will be ordering them online, probably from ECS.

Definitely changing all the filters and oil now (fuel, air, cabin, oil). Thanks for the help!
Yeah, my car has the HPFP code and it also has the misfires and raw exhaust gas.
Mini Service is a bit of a scam to say the least.
So you had to drop $100+ for that code read right? It would have been cheap to buy a code reader.

Anyway, I'm going to service to get my HPFP replaced. However, I'm going in there with a new fuel filter, new plugs, and new coils. So when they spew that garbage, I will be able to throw it back in their face.

You said in earlier in your thread that the coils were already replaced. That is the first thing to suspect with a misfire.

Old 10-03-2019, 01:40 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Mine didn't throw me a code until it finally wouldn't start at all. It didn't do the code the 6-7 times it sputtered and finally started up. (I didn't have a code reader, it finally showed the code on the gauge in front of me).

Old 10-03-2019, 02:48 PM
david_foster
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mini-is-for-me
Yeah, my car has the HPFP code and it also has the misfires and raw exhaust gas.
Mini Service is a bit of a scam to say the least.
So you had to drop $100+ for that code read right? It would have been cheap to buy a code reader.

Anyway, I'm going to service to get my HPFP replaced. However, I'm going in there with a new fuel filter, new plugs, and new coils. So when they spew that garbage, I will be able to throw it back in their face.

You said in earlier in your thread that the coils were already replaced. That is the first thing to suspect with a misfire.

Yes, I paid for the diagnostic for two reasons - one is the FRM was fried and covered under warranty and we wanted to get that replaced. The other reason is that the engine was misfiring, throwing a P300 code, and we needed an "official" diagnosis to go back to the PO who delivered us the car a week ago. No independent shop would do, I'm afraid, and the reader I used was not MINI specific.

Turns out there were three different models/brands of coils in the car, and the PO said that his mechanic (who moonlights on the side as a mechanic) had done the work.

I put new Bosch coils in this afternoon, and the car started perfectly and the engine light went out after a little while. I'll know more in a few days if that sorts it out. I'm also changing filters this weekend (including fuel) which should also help.

I think if my car had the HPFP code, I'd replace it right away - one person wrote to me to say he's had good luck with the off-brand and rebuilt pumps that are far less expensive. Seems like a straightforward install.

Old 10-03-2019, 02:49 PM
david_foster
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Mine didn't throw me a code until it finally wouldn't start at all. It didn't do the code the 6-7 times it sputtered and finally started up. (I didn't have a code reader, it finally showed the code on the gauge in front of me).
Good to know your experience, thank you. I'm crossing my fingers that (for now) the misfire was 87 gas and a couple of cheap coils plus an old one. We'll see . . . .

Old 10-03-2019, 05:05 PM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
I already have the HPFP off ebay for $150. However, MINIUSA replaces it for free so you can't beat free. If the HPFP is acting up, you will likely see the engine misfiring or barely running.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:52 PM
mini-is-for-me
4th Gear
Originally Posted by david_foster
I put new Bosch coils in this afternoon, and the car started perfectly and the engine light went out after a little while. I'll know more in a few days if that sorts it out. I'm also changing filters this weekend (including fuel) which should also help.
I'm going to replace my coil packs with Delphi. They have metal on top which I'm guessing will lead to longer life. They seem to have a better reputation on forums.
https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34534

Also, you should be able to mix and match coil packs. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ent-coil-packs I will save mine for spares although cylinder 1 and 4 are the most problematic according to my reader so I may toss those.