F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 No cold start when cold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:07 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
No cold start when cold?

Anyone have this issue?

This past year I moved to a very cold climate. I noticed my car would cold start often as it should. But if it’s very cold like 30 degrees or under, the car will not cold start and just start up normally. Yes even after a long 12 hour shift at work.

Car is on the stock software, no tuning.

Anyone experience this?

Old 12-04-2018, 08:25 PM
ranger052
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Hi there,

Sorry but what do you mean with cold start often as it should? is that a feature where the car turns on by itself or something?

Thanks

Old 12-05-2018, 01:57 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
It cold starts normally if its over like 30 degrees or so. But if its very cold like 18 degrees or 20 degrees, the car would not cold start at all. Even after not driving it for 12+ hours sitting in this cold weather. Very weird. Will see if dealer has ECU update.

Old 12-05-2018, 07:20 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts
How do you tell the difference between a cold start and a regular start?

Old 12-06-2018, 12:22 PM
G26okie
2nd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by chrunck
How do you tell the difference between a cold start and a regular start?
I'm guessing higher idle that slowly drops down to normal, vs the initial high start rev and immediately dropping to normal idle.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:45 AM
isugoo
3rd Gear
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I recently read very interesting article:

Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Warm Up Your Car In The Winter

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/ownership/here's-why-you-shouldn't-warm-up-your-car-in-the-winter/ar-BBQdbev?ocid=spartandhp

And bonus, how to defrost your windshield in seconds:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/autom...ow-in-seconds/

if you want to keep your car for a long time, do not warm up your car. =)

Old 12-09-2018, 11:47 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by isugoo
I recently read very interesting article:Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Warm Up Your Car In The Winter

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/owne...cid=spartandhp

And bonus, how to defrost your windshield in seconds:
https://www.familyhandyman.com/autom...ow-in-seconds/

if you want to keep your car for a long time, do not warm up your car. =)
I’m not sure how many people actually read them these days, and also a lot of used cars are missing the owners manual, but in mine it specifically states the fact about not letting it warm up the way we used to with older cars. It basically states that as soon as the idle drops you are ready to go, as the engine warms up faster and safer under varying light load, than simply sitting with no load. You are just supposed to drive it reasonably and stay out boost as much as possible until it reaches operating temps.
I try to follow this religiously, but when the windows are frozen you can’t immediately take off.....until now? I’m off to read that link real quick!

Interesting! I’m not sure about the kitty litter in a sock, but I don’t have an issue with ice inside the car. I would think rice would do the same thing as it is a desiccant.
But the water/alcohol mix to spray on the ice to melt it sounds just about right for me! For those that don’t read it, put one part water and two parts rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, and use it to melt the ice on your windshield!

Good info for all of us about warming up the car! Thumbs up!

Last edited by MrGrumpy; 12-09-2018 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:32 PM
PrivateHudson
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

I’m not sure how many people actually read them these days, and also a lot of used cars are missing the owners manual, but in mine it specifically states the fact about not letting it warm up the way we used to with older cars. It basically states that as soon as the idle drops you are ready to go, as the engine warms up faster and safer under varying light load, than simply sitting with no load. You are just supposed to drive it reasonably and stay out boost as much as possible until it reaches operating temps.
I try to follow this religiously, but when the windows are frozen you can’t immediately take off.....until now? I’m off to read that link real quick!

Interesting! I’m not sure about the kitty litter in a sock, but I don’t have an issue with ice inside the car. I would think rice would do the same thing as it is a desiccant.
But the water/alcohol mix to spray on the ice to melt it sounds just about right for me! For those that don’t read it, put one part water and two parts rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, and use it to melt the ice on your windshield!

Good info for all of us about warming up the car! Thumbs up!
Or it could be that you are wasting fuel warming your car up and if you add up all the fuel wasted it's significant so the govt pressured manufacturers to change their advice regarding warming up. Seems to me if the engine oil is cold that it will not lubricate as well and if you put strain on the engine driving that it will wear the engine out a bit faster. I guess I don't care because I never keep my cars more than 5 or 6 years and always less than 100K miles.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:35 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
I guess to clarify, I do not immediately put in gear and start going, I do wait for about half a minute to a minute or so, until the high idle from the cold start drops to normal, then I go reasonably until it’s fully warmed up. The government angle is one I had not considered. But I am seeing this more and more in cars, especially ones with direct injection.