DC Metro MINIs (Archive) The old DC Metro MINIs club forum, now closed. Visit their new forums at www.dcmetrominis.org/forums

Cold Start Trouble: '05s

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 01:24 PM
corrupt52
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Start Trouble: '05s

I know there have been threads about Cold Start trouble before, but I specifically wanted to reach out to DCMMers with '05s as the tech at MoS i just spoke with said "the '05s don't have this problem."

Here is the issue: for the past two weeks I have had trouble starting our dear little Ruby (MCS). When i turn the key the engine cranks away, but never seems to catch. I fully turn the key ALL THE WAY off and then try to start it again (the tech made me clarify this point with him) and the same thing happens. I do this between 5-6 times and finally Ruby starts and she is fine for the rest of the day.

Today, I guess she finally had enough and I had to have her towed to MoS, as she would not start (the tow truck guy tried too, no luck).

My frustration is that I get a call from the tech at MoS and he tells me he turned it over on the 2nd try just fine and then explains to me how it was a problem on prior year's cars, but not on '05s. And I suggested he let it sit over night and try it tomorrow AM to see what happens.

If its not a problem with most '05s then great, but damn it, its a problem on my '05 and I'm tired of wondering if I will make it to work or not in the mornings... is any one else having this problem?

GGGRRRRRRR!!!!

Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be water in gas,where do you live.Does it sit for long periods with partially filled tank.Is it only on cold starts.Does it only happen in cold weather.Have you changed gas suppliers?These questions should help diagnose the problem.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:51 PM
corrupt52
2nd Gear
Live in Woodbridge, it is driven every day during the week (DC and Back) we have tried changing gas stations (but within the 2 weeks we have only filled up twice), happens only in cold weather, we leave at 5am in the morning so we are early commuters, so its pretty brisk outside...

Old 01-26-2006, 01:58 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
While I never had the problem this bad, I did have the cold start problem with my '05, and Sterling knew it. Tell Tradd to look up Mr. Babischkin's service record for the '05 MCS it was reported to them in one of the first two service tags on the car...

Old 01-26-2006, 02:23 PM
corrupt52
2nd Gear
Thanks Mr. Babischkin, this is the ammo I'm looking for

Old 01-26-2006, 02:36 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I had the cold start problem in my car in the summer months for about the first 2k miles. Since then its been fine. I never really heard a one fix fits all for this.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Sam
4th Gear
cold starts

I have never had a cold start problem on my '05mcs - starts first time every time. Starting on the second third fourth fith try - something is wrong. Water or sediment might be an issue particularly if you filled up with the tank dregs on the hi-test tank. I think jumping out you fuel system, replacing your inline fuel filter and fuel injection jet cleaning is in order - especially if they find a large amount of water in the view glass on the pump they use to empty your tank. Don't let them tell you they all do that. Tomarrow morning in sterling should be in the 20degree range - that should be challenging.

Good luck - and please post back with any thing you learn

Old 01-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Sam
4th Gear
trad is leaving

Originally Posted by mbabischkin
While I never had the problem this bad, I did have the cold start problem with my '05, and Sterling knew it. Tell Tradd to look up Mr. Babischkin's service record for the '05 MCS it was reported to them in one of the first two service tags on the car...
second hand information - something about his wife getting a new job and relocating

Old 01-27-2006, 04:12 AM
DaCrema
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
and.....
samiam01 said that, "second hand information - something about his wife getting a new job and relocating"
Agreed, can the data be used if the owners grab their kid and dog then just run off to CA at the smallist hint of a chill?

On a more serious note, Corrupt52 please let us know the out come.

Old 01-27-2006, 05:56 AM
JustDandy
4th Gear
I think he's talking about Tradd Dozier, the MoS service advisor, leaving (which we confirmed at the DCMM breakfast at MoS recently).

The new SA is David Rockweel, - 571-434-1944, from his business card. Email is david.rockwell@miniofsterling.com.

Also, we have two late year '05s with no cold start issues as of yet. (production months of June and August)

john

Old 01-27-2006, 06:45 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
In re-reading this however, you don't have the cold start problem that either I or the other people who complained about this issue in previous years. The issue everybody dealt with was that the car would start on the first try, but would caugh and almost stall... If you had slipped the car in gear already, then the car would stall.. When you told the tech you had the cold start problem that's probably what he thought of.

Oh and John !!!!!

Old 01-27-2006, 02:04 PM
corrupt52
2nd Gear
Update

Well.. MoS can't duplicate the problem, so they are keeping it until Monday to make sure all is well. They got it to start, ran diagnostics, nothing came up... the saga continues...

Total Score:
Gremlins: 1
MINI Owner: 0

Old 01-30-2006, 08:29 AM
corrupt52
2nd Gear
Just when I thought it was safe to pick up my MINI....

An Update to the Update for interested parties...

Went to MoS today to pick up our little Ruby. Well this morning they tried to start her up and could not get her to run, so the battle against the Gremlins is not over yet... as I thought it was!

MoS made it right by giving me a loaner car, although I bought my car at another dealer, which they do not normally do apparently... and I thank them very much for it, and they will continue working on the problem. Once they figure it out I'll post the problem/solution should anyone else have the same issue I'm having.

Total Score:
MINI Owner: 1

Old 01-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Sam
4th Gear
Originally Posted by corrupt52
An Update to the Update for interested parties...

Went to MoS today to pick up our little Ruby. Well this morning they tried to start her up and could not get her to run, so the battle against the Gremlins is not over yet... as I thought it was!

MoS made it right by giving me a loaner car, although I bought my car at another dealer, which they do not normally do apparently... and I thank them very much for it, and they will continue working on the problem. Once they figure it out I'll post the problem/solution should anyone else have the same issue I'm having.

Total Score:
MINI Owner: 1
Murphy's Law - so frustrating.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:32 PM
corrupt52
2nd Gear
And the Final Word is.....

Well, I don't know how to take the news... after MoS had trouble starting the car on Mon/Tues.... the next 2 days it fired right up... so they gave back to me not being able to diagnose the problem.

So I'm armed with the video camera now and if it happens again will have it documented on tape... not that it will help them in anyway, but at least I'll have proof that its a chronic problem....

Then again with my luck it may never happen again! Damn Gremlins...

Attached Thumbnails Cold Start Trouble: '05s-bugs-n-gremlin.jpg  
Old 02-02-2006, 05:38 PM
pooch1
5th Gear
Try some gas line antifreeze it may help get rid of problem.In the meanwhile change gas station for a couple of weeks.

Old 02-02-2006, 06:32 PM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JustDandy
I think he's talking about Tradd Dozier, the MoS service advisor, leaving (which we confirmed at the DCMM breakfast at MoS recently).

The new SA is David Rockweel, - 571-434-1944, from his business card. Email is david.rockwell@miniofsterling.com.

Also, we have two late year '05s with no cold start issues as of yet. (production months of June and August)

john
So Tradd Dozier is no longer there? Cause I have been trying to call him and the operator connects me to his phone but no one picks up or responds to my messages.

Old 02-02-2006, 09:04 PM
justbob
2nd Gear
2004 MCS MC40

Never had this problem.

Old 02-03-2006, 12:49 AM
Sam
4th Gear
tradd

Originally Posted by MNEEME
So Tradd Dozier is no longer there? Cause I have been trying to call him and the operator connects me to his phone but no one picks up or responds to my messages.
That would be business as usual

Old 02-03-2006, 01:49 AM
corrupt52
2nd Gear
Tradd

I never saw Tradd the 3 times I was at MoS. The new MSA helping me was named Dave Rockwell... nice guy... his extension is x1208... I know it by heart unfortunately...

Old 02-03-2006, 04:13 AM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Thanks! I will be contacting Dave Rockwell now. Funny I had to find out through here and not MoS especially when I call them and I ask for him and they connect me. Oh Well, atleast I know now.

Edit:
There webpage hasn't been updated either. Tradd is still on there and Dave is not.

Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 AM
MNEEME
5th Gear
Ok I got a hold of Dave Rockwell and am going in on Thursday for service and my airbag light. After reaching him I got home and check the answer machine and had a message from Kerri Brown. So someone is getting around to Tradd's messages but they seem to be taking awhile. Atleast they got back to me. Thanks again for the help though!

Old 02-07-2006, 10:27 AM
JNT
2nd Gear
I had a problem at the Dragon last year. I pulled over to throw up, and when I got back in the car a few minutes later, she cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. Weird...the only time it's happened tho. Last night she got a software update that is supposed help hesitation and "cold start problems." Time will tell.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:23 AM
corrupt52
2nd Gear
The Gremlin is BACK!

Yesterday:
5:30AM, 28 degrees outside.... Car just CRANKS away but will not start.

Me:
5:30AM Taking video of this while my wife tries to start the car, burned it to a CD to give to the SA at MoS.

6:00AM Left a message on SA's phone at MoS and said I would wait until it got warmer to try to start the car and drive it in, instead of having it towed to see if it really is a problem starting inthe cold. But was not happy about having to see them again so soon.

10:15 AM Tow truck is called after trying to start car all morning, but notice temp is about 40 degrees when I turn the key (sun is finally hitting car), I give it one more try and she starts right up. Tow truck cancelled and I drive it in and give the SA the CD.

MoS:
Out another loaner because they hope they can "duplicate the problem this AM." Well this is strike 2 and documented very well now. When the "ice" warning sound goes off, she just does not want to start...

Gremlins:
Must be from the arctic regions, why they have chosen me is unknown.

Attached Thumbnails Cold Start Trouble: '05s-enloslimitesdelarealidaddvd13.jpg  
Old 02-08-2006, 03:38 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Weird...I'd figure by now they would be swapping every part that handles the ignition system

Quick Reply: Cold Start Trouble: '05s