Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Bad fuel level sending unit?

Old 07-07-2019, 11:57 AM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Bad fuel level sending unit?

So I've got an '02 MCS. And even though I've got about four or five gallons in the tank my fuel gauge reads empty. And it's red empty pretty much since I got her back and running. I replaced the filter a week or two ago. And it was really black! I've only got about 68,000 miles on this and she's sat for a number of years not being driven. when I pulled the sending unit out slightly to replace the filter I got a look inside and around it. And it was pretty corroded and green and just nasty looking around the metal bits. And the wires down in there pretty much didn't have a protective case around them anymore it had just been eaten away and falling off. I figure this is my problem. But I do also have a little bit of wiring issues. I don't have the ability to take her to a shop so I was wondering what y'alls input is?

Old 07-07-2019, 12:31 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
no photos no comment as it is a waste of my time

Old 07-07-2019, 07:57 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
There is a a common problem with the fuel pump electrical plug, to have corrosion on the plug connecting to the fuel pump/and fuel sender. Unplug it, spray contact cleaner on both ends, brush it and plug it back in. If you have fuel indicated, that is the fix. If not , then the sender may be shot, or other wiring to the gauge.

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 07-08-2019 at 11:16 PM. Reason: I guess the mods thought I was cursing, too weird!
Old 07-08-2019, 10:00 PM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
It isa a common problem with the R%#, to have corrosion on the plug connecting to the fuel pump/and fuel sender. Unplug it, spray contact cleaner on both ends, brush it and plug it back in. If you have fuel indicated, that is the fix. If not , then the sender may be shot, or other wiring to the gauge.
I tried that to no avail there's a wiring thing I'm gonna try next but I may just buy the fuel filter assembly either way. Because I think it needs to be replaced in it's current condition. I can't seem to find one for r53. I don't know if they're all the same or not.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:19 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
There is also a bunch of brown wires under the carpet, near the tunnel, that is a master ground. That may be corroded also and will mess with the gauges and computer in the gauge pod.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:34 PM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
There is also a bunch of brown wires under the carpet, near the tunnel, that is a master ground. That may be corroded also and will mess with the gauges and computer in the gauge pod.
I know exactly the ones you're talking about. I had some major wiring issues a while back where none of my gauges or anything would turn on so I dismantled the entire interior and went through the wires. If I'm correct. I've got those 3 brown wires Jerry rigged up with and alligator clip connected to a ground plate. And that turns my gauges on. If it slips off the gauges don't turn on or work in any way. And I have no idea how to fix or trouble shoot any of this because I'm not a electrical or wiring guy. It was a bit of luck I even figured out if I grounded them the gauges turn on.