Classic Mini Talk Interested in the Classic Mini? Discuss the Classic and its variants here!

Looking for a Fuel Tank sending unit leak solution

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:50 PM
Mochaman
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a Fuel Tank sending unit leak solution

First off, I am new to the group. I own a British spec Mini for past 8 years. Bought from a friend stationed in England.

My issue is the Fuel Sending unit gasket started leaking out when the car sat for some time. Fixed it, rebuilt fuel system, just finished rebuilding the carb.

Changed the Fuel Sending gasket and it sat for one week with fuel in it. I was waiting on final parts to come in. Started pissing fuel again.

I don't think the gaskets that Minimania sell can handle the ethanol in our fuel.
Has anyone used an O-ring or another brand that works better in this location?

Mochaman

Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
a light coating of Permatex Gasket-Cinch might insulate it from the ethanol, or even a light coat of RTV.....

That said, mine doesn't leak - it's just a factory style cork gasket.

Old 12-16-2015, 11:07 AM
Mochaman
Neutral
I don't have a Cork gasket, mine was originally a rubber gasket. Although I may have to try out the cork gasket.
I did find a rubber gasket made by Viton that says it won't be ruined by ethanol. I found this when doing some in depth Google Searches, found a website discussion with MG vehicles. Someone in the discussion said this particular size made by Viton will fit in Mini gas tank. I ordered the gasket and should see it by next week. Will let the group know if this is correct size and the actual part number when it comes in.

Old 12-16-2015, 12:14 PM
DaGriz
3rd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ethanol is the devil.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
if the gasket that leaks in intact you have a template

go to any autopart store and buy a sheet of a good gasket material of choice ... one suitable for a fuel application of course. Should cost only a few dollars.

Get your pen out and trace ... then get the scissors and exacto knife out. I've done this several times .... works just fine if you are good at arts and crafts . . .

I would not try for a head gasket obviously, but fuel pump (original on the block), thermostat .... easy!

Last edited by Capt_bj; 12-19-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:39 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I would normally agree with Capt BJ, but cutting those tiny screw holes out in a cork gasket with an Xacto knife would be really tough. Viton would be easier, but what I do to make the holes is make a punch - get a scrap piece of brake line and sharpen the end then punch the holes out. Works a treat

Old 12-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Mochaman
Neutral
My fuel sender gasket does not have the holes, it is just a solid piece of rubber. So much easier to cut out.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
wanna just try a different vendor?

I use these guys a bit ... no complaints

http://www.7ent.com/products/rubber-...t-ara1502.html

Old 12-21-2015, 05:29 AM
Mochaman
Neutral
I was able to find one from a website called Little British Car Company. Horrible website to maneuver on, but they did state the rubber seal was ethanol resistant.
I have the new seal now, wanted to go find a sheet of rubber gasket material to be able to make my own if needed. Nothing at Oriely's even came close to the thickness of this seal.
Will have this installed over the Christmas holidays and hopefully get the Carb tuned up since I rebuilt it.
I also bought the Marine version of Stabil. It is supposed to work better for open vent gas tanks. It is specific to ethanol and the issues with water absorption.
Trying to find non Ethanol gas in my area of Dallas.

Old 12-21-2015, 05:45 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
be careful with eth' free vendors, I had a bad experience.

around here the guys who sell e-free are all small

I tried a tankful of 'premium' and my car ran like crap ... same way it did the one time I put in mid-grade.

I went back to Shell premium and everything returned to normal

sounds to me like the e-free guy was low balling the octane content .... which does not matter in a weed eater or lawn mower.

p.s. I have not replaced a single line gasket or seal in 10 years due to ethanol damage. When replacing a part, yes ... but not due to deterioration. I remember to toss in a treatment I get from Eastwood about 1 fill in 3.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:34 AM
Mochaman
Neutral
I have owned my car for 8 1/2 years and have never had issue with it until recently. It has sat for months at a time when I went to Afghanistan several times. Not one issue. Then suddenly the Tank seal turns to mush and pisses gas out. Changed it, same thing. Carb varnishes up and quits working.

Bad gas at a Shell station?

Old 12-21-2015, 10:56 AM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
can you give details of year and model as If a Van/estate or saloon the saloon sender is held tight by a twist lock system the van/estate uses a bolt system the cork gasket is for bolt system the rubber is for twist system on saloons

Old 12-21-2015, 12:07 PM
Mochaman
Neutral
Mini 1000 Saloon. It is the twist lock type with the rubber gasket.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
with the twist on

it would probably be a good idea to lube the gasket so it slides during the tightening.

A little silicone lube for o-rings would be what I'd try ..... Just like the o-ring on the MINI oil filter, failure to lube it can result in a crack or break you can't see until you remove the entire unit .... AFTER it spews all over your engine bay! or in this case ... the boot

Old 02-18-2016, 03:11 PM
mikeyr
1st Gear
Old thread I know but I am the new guy and I just went through this in the last 2 weeks.

I bought a mini that the previous owner used RTV to put the sending unit on, he put too much and ended up with RTV in the fuel tank. I would drive down the freeway and car would stall as if fuel starved, a few minutes later would run fine, tried a new fuel pump and still no go.

Finally found the RTV in the tank and cleaned it out, went to Moss (they are local to me) and bought a cork gasket, no issues with it and no leaks.

Here is what I found in the gas tanks, so my point is you use RTV, use it sparingly, dont use too much.

Last edited by mikeyr; 02-18-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-18-2016, 03:26 PM
mk1leg
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
never use a sealant as it might get sucked into pipe and block it and then you will need to renew pipe from front to rear....