Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:36 AM
Schildknacker
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Light

Hello,

I bought my wife a 2003 mini cooper S last summer. She ran the oil down till the light went on. She was close to a filling station when it happened so she pulled over and they topped it off. We had the oil sensor changed, The oil Pump changed out. Oil filter body changed out. Ran the car after getting it back up and down the highway and also in town without an issue. Got back into the car a few hours later and now it is on again. Car is running great no noises smells etc... any clue as to why the oil light is coming on solid and staying on? Mechanic put in a heavier (but compliant) oil. Oil pressure is up at around 6lbs and still light is coming on.

HeLP!!

Old 06-26-2019, 07:51 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
Hi, It is tough to call without seeing the car up close, but it is very possible the cam bearing wore so much, or lifter retainers (plastic went away) and oil is rushing out of the head faster than the pump can maintain it. At higher RPMs, does the light go off?

Old 06-26-2019, 09:40 AM
Schildknacker
Neutral
No it stays on. Funny thing is I drove it for a while after picking it up and it was fine. Then I went over a speed bump and I saw the light flicker.. A few more miles down the road and It came back on and stayed on. Should I install a mechanical oil pressure gauge so that at least I can be sure that isn't it??

Old 06-26-2019, 02:05 PM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
In the good ol days, I would say the oil pump pick up came loose.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:50 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by LostbutFound
In the good ol days, I would say the oil pump pick up came loose.
This is quite possible, since the oil pump was replaced!
Good thought!

Old 07-01-2019, 09:43 AM
Schildknacker
Neutral
Looks like it was a frayed wire. The oil light came on and stayed on, it didn't blink, or pulse just a solid red light as if the engine had zero oil in it even while going 50 mph. Ran fine. sounded fine. oil fine. no chips. no overheating...Mechanic was dumfounded until he took a look at the wire harness and noticed a lot of exposed wire. He replaced what was damaged and rewrapped everything. He then ran a new wire from the oil sensor through the fire wall and straight to the instrument panel. He says problem solved. I'm going to go pick it up now and I'll let you know how it goes. Never would have guessed it was electrical...

Old 07-01-2019, 09:51 AM
LostbutFound
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Was it rats?

Old 07-01-2019, 12:17 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Schildknacker
Looks like it was a frayed wire. The oil light came on and stayed on, it didn't blink, or pulse just a solid red light as if the engine had zero oil in it even while going 50 mph. Ran fine. sounded fine. oil fine. no chips. no overheating...Mechanic was dumfounded until he took a look at the wire harness and noticed a lot of exposed wire. He replaced what was damaged and rewrapped everything. He then ran a new wire from the oil sensor through the fire wall and straight to the instrument panel. He says problem solved. I'm going to go pick it up now and I'll let you know how it goes. Never would have guessed it was electrical...
At the risk of being called a know it all I will try asking a few questions.

You said the light came on even with 6 PSI of pressure, can you be more specific on who and how this number was obtained. Odd that you specially said 6 PSI. What about say 15 or higher when you rev the engine? Had at any time the mechanic check the oil pressure with an old fashion mechanical oil pressure gauge? I am very surprised that the oil pump has been changed and so as the filter housing as well as the oil pressure switch, unless there is evidence that any one of these are bad.

If I were you I would insist in hooking up a real mechanical pressure (shop or otherwise) gauge to find out what the oil pressure is at idle as well as at higher RPM. Without this information you are likely to waste more money.

Also, if I haven't mistaken, the oil pressure switch signal does not go to the instrument panel. It goes to the ECU that is in the engine bay. May be the AngryScotsman can chime in and clarify with his Wunderbar OBD oil pressure reading and tell us mechanical oil pressure gauge is too overrated.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Schildknacker
Neutral
Oil light

It was 6lb at idle. I’m not a mini mechanic but I am mechanically inclined. I used to rebuild VW’s back in the mid 80’s so I’m not a complete noob when it comes to vehicle mechanics. The oil pump did solve the first issue which was caused by my wife running the oil down. The second issue was the 17 year old wiring harness. Everywhere it contacted the frame or sheet metal within the car 17 years of friction wore the outer sheathing off; and the actual sheathing off of the wires on the outside of the inner bundle. He could push it against the car and the oil light would come on. Just lucky that it happened right after getting it from the shop. If not I could have been away on business in Chicago and my wife finding herself on the side of RTE 495 with a fried wiring harness....We dodged a huge bullet there. I’d say anyone with a 2003,4,5,6 Mini should check the wiring to look for friction damage. This mini had been used as a race car a few years back and has many mods...so it may be a case of someone taking out the engine and messing about and then not properly securing things before/after removing/reinstalling the engine.

Either way I appreciate everyone’s input and I am sure this won’t be the last time I reach out for help!

cheers!

Schildknacker.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:06 PM
pnwR53S
Something does not pass logic or whatever you want to call it. If you ran the oil down so low the most likely damage would not be the oil pump, but the crank journals and bearings. Oil pump will likely merrily churning along until the engine seizes due to the crank bearings seize.

There is something extraordinary with your harness. There is no reason to think the 17 years old harness had deteriorated to cause the problem you experience if not mistreated. It could be someone didn't reroute the harness properly after pulling the drivetrain to do whatever.

Old 07-01-2019, 05:03 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
I would consider getting a new bypass valve found in the oil filter housing.....there's a member here that makes new ones

Bryan

Old 07-01-2019, 09:01 PM
pnwR53S
OP signaled the case closed.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:05 AM
Schildknacker
Neutral
OK, So here's my take on what reality was here. Wife drove oil down. Car started having oil light issues. Mechanic changed out oil sensor..Oil light came back on shortly after. Mechanic thought oil pump was the issue..changed out pump..Nope, still had problems...Changed out the filter housing..light came back on a day later..but this time it was solid and only came on after going over a speed bump and the light didn't flicker or pulse..even if the engine was revved. He pulled the pan checked crank bearings and all looked good including no metal dust or chips in oil. So he decided to check wiring and found the wiring issue.

Oil pump was most likely not the real problem. I believe that the actual issue was a combination of the filter housing and the wiring.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:13 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 323 Likes on 224 Posts
I had changed my oil on my 04 r50 a while back. The oil light started to pop on at idle. Then go away while driving. I used an stp oil filter. Changed filter to oem. Never came back on

Old 07-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
Hi, It is tough to call without seeing the car up close, but it is very possible the cam bearing wore so much, or lifter retainers (plastic went away) and oil is rushing out of the head faster than the pump can maintain it. At higher RPMs, does the light go off?
Hey so I was reading through the oil issues and your comment stuck out to me. I've got an oil light on and the level is fine and there is no bad sounds or anything like that. But if I get to about 3000 rpms it'll go off but as soon as it drops back down it'll come on again. I'm gonna buy a new sensor and replace it and see if that fixes it but I've never seen anything like this before. Any ideas? Or things to try? It's an 02 MCs with 68,000 miles and it sat for about 8 or 10 years because my cousin BLEW UP the clutch. Sorry for hijacking the thread😬

Old 07-04-2019, 07:06 PM
shrevemini
6th Gear
Received 323 Likes on 224 Posts
Check oil filter.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by shrevemini
Check oil filter.
I did. I changed the oil when I first got her back running and then I switched filters about a week ago. I had an STP filter in there. And when I pulled it out it wasn't even really holding on to the cap. So I switched it out with a different filter. From O'Reilly's. But I think I may still buy an OEM filter.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:08 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Chey Horton
Hey so I was reading through the oil issues and your comment stuck out to me. I've got an oil light on and the level is fine and there is no bad sounds or anything like that. But if I get to about 3000 rpms it'll go off but as soon as it drops back down it'll come on again. I'm gonna buy a new sensor and replace it and see if that fixes it but I've never seen anything like this before. Any ideas? Or things to try? It's an 02 MCs with 68,000 miles and it sat for about 8 or 10 years because my cousin BLEW UP the clutch. Sorry for hijacking the thread��
There are two spring valves in the oil filter housing and if either are open, oil pressure can be low enough for the light to come on. It is a known failure area in gen 1 Mini's. Often you can remove the filter and see that the valves are closed or not. (but not always)
https://www.outmotoring.com/oil-filt...rep_12345.html
This is a pic of the valve inside the housing.

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 07-04-2019 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling again! Grrrr
Old 07-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
There are two spring valves in the oil filter housing and if either are open, oil pressure can be low enough for the light to come on. It is a know failure area in gen 1 Mini's. Often you can remove the filter and see that the valves are closed or not. (but not always)
https://www.outmotoring.com/oil-filt...rep_12345.html
This is a pic of the valve inside the housing.
The picture are they open or closed? And if this is so would the RPMs around 3,000 clothes the spring valves causing the light to turn off? And how easy of a fix is this? Could I do it myself? Considering I replace the clutch myself

Old 07-04-2019, 08:20 PM
ItsmeWayne
Originally Posted by Chey Horton
The picture are they open or closed? And if this is so would the RPMs around 3,000 clothes the spring valves causing the light to turn off? And how easy of a fix is this? Could I do it myself? Considering I replace the clutch myself
No, most likely not closed, just more rpms = more pressure.
It is not a difficult job, but finding the part may be tough, as I don't think Out Motoring has it anymore, but there is a guy on our site that makes them. You will need to search for it here.
You don't want to know how much a new housing costs!

Old 07-04-2019, 08:25 PM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
It is not a difficult job, but finding the part may be tough, as I don't think Out Motoring has it anymore, but there is a guy on our site that makes them. You will need to search for it here.
Oh man definitely not. I wanna do it as cheap as possible. Considering I've got a lot of other things to fix. Lol.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:42 PM
A383Wing
6th Gear
Received 246 Likes on 202 Posts
New reproduction valves are here in this thread

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight=oil+valve

Bryan

Old 07-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Chey Horton
2nd Gear
That was my problem!! I'd been trying to figure it out for the last month and that tiny piece was my problem. I ordered it off of outmotoring and it should be in Monday! I'll keep y'all updated 😁

Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Most of the time its that check valve, we carry it here also.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-dorman-p...e/904-261~dor/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172