Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Oil change, oil light, Buyer Beware...

Old 07-29-2003, 05:23 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moral of the story: Don't let anyone else change your oil, AND RTFM.

Two thousand miles after my free 10k oil change the oil light came on. I checked it and it was a half-quart low. Sh*t. Add a half-quart.

A week later I get a glimmer of the oil light *again*. I didn't get a chance to check it right away, but when I do, it's full, so now I'm perplexed.

I finally crack the manual to check *exactly* when you're supposed to check the oiil. Check the oil when the engine's warm, five minutes after shutting it off. Thusly followed I find it another half-quart low.

Soooo....race fans, the level varies by a good bit depending upon how much time you give the oil to return to the pan. Actually it varies by a lot more than other cars I've owned, though I shouldn't be surprised.

(I usually check level after having oil changed but this time went straight to work after service & didn't do my normal routine.) I'm ticked. And if you're thinking that I've just burned through a quart in 2k miles I'd say no. Hasn't burned any in the last two oil changes.

Jeff out
ps: Last time a dealer changes my oil. Free or not.

Old 07-29-2003, 09:53 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
So what was the total you had to add?

Old 07-29-2003, 10:02 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you change your filter and oil, add 4.7 qts. for the MCS. 5W30 synthetic is recommended. Mobil 1 is my preferred brand.

Old 07-29-2003, 10:47 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
>>So what was the total you had to add?

One quart. At least I'm comforted that the idiot light worked. I am so pissed at myself for not double-checking their work I could spit.

>>When you change your filter and oil, add 4.7 qts. for the MCS. 5W30 synthetic is recommended. Mobil 1 is my preferred brand.

Yeah--I'd done two oil changes myself previous to my trip to the dealer for my "free" service. And of course when I did it myself I checked it immediately afterward.

I have yet to go to a car dealer--ever--who's done a good job. At anything.

Anyway, the point of the post was part vent and part to make sure that if you're checking your oil cold, or even after a half-hour or so, you'll get a different read than if you follow the manual.

Hope it helps someone, Jeff

ps: So what's the likelihood of f___ing up the engine when a qt. low?

Old 07-29-2003, 10:50 AM
Darxar
4th Gear
Jeff I assume you went to Global?

Old 07-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Wait a second. I thought that the oil light was the oil pressure light, and that it only came on when a car was quite low on oil....I'm confused by this whole post....

Old 07-29-2003, 08:50 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>Wait a second. I thought that the oil light was the oil pressure light, and that it only came on when a car was quite low on oil....I'm confused by this whole post....
That's an interesting observation. Also, remember that the oil filter will absorb and hold about 1/2 qt of oil, so that should explain the difference in your reading. But it perplexes me as to why the oil light came on. Let's say if it indicates a pressure loss, I would think that a half quart loss of oil shouldn't trigger this.

Old 07-29-2003, 08:50 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>Wait a second. I thought that the oil light was the oil pressure light, and that it only came on when a car was quite low on oil....I'm confused by this whole post....
That's an interesting observation. Also, remember that the oil filter will absorb and hold about 1/2 qt of oil, so that should explain the difference in your reading. But it perplexes me as to why the oil light came on. Let's say if it indicates a pressure loss, I would think that a half quart loss of oil shouldn't trigger this.

Old 07-30-2003, 01:54 PM
lectric bloo
3rd Gear
In my other car my oil pressure gauge has alerted me twice by reading lower pressure when the car needs oil. Its an MGB and at about 1/2 quart low the reading at idle can be 5-8 psi different than usual. Perhaps a lower reading of pressure because of lack of oil caused the idiot light to just flicker, which is actually good news as I have always enjoyed the reassuring presence of an oil pressure gauge.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:01 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Sorry I didn't make the post clear.

The dealership did my 10k oil change. I didn't double-check their work. About 1 month later, oil light comes on, and I check the oil and it reads 1/2 quart low. (Car had sat ~ 30-45 minutes.)

I add a half-quart and all's well (or so I think.)

A couple of days later it comes on *again*. I didn't have time to check it right then, but instead waited until that afternoon when I went to drive home. Checking the oil when cold, it reads full. Now I'm confused.

So I check the manual, find out you're supposed to check warm, after waiting five minutes. This time when I check it is again a half-quart low. I add oil and I'm fine.

So.... to sum it up you need to follow the manual closely when checking, because I got very different readings based upon how long I'd let it sit. The first time (after sitting 30-45 minutes it was a half-quart low.)

The second time when I checked it completely cold it looked full (recall--this is after adding a half-quart.)

The third time I checked it 5 minutes after shutting down and it was again a half-quart low.

I've had bikes where it was important to check it warm after a brief cooldown, but I've never encountered cars where this was that important.

Hope this doesn't confuse things further.

Jeff

Old 08-01-2003, 09:04 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Oh, and to answer the other question--you'll get a pressure drop if you're low. Presumably the idiot light'll tell you if you're low.

I'm more ticked at myself for not checking it earlier.

Jeff

ps: light only came on at idle, which makes sense.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:15 AM
LifeIsGood
2nd Gear
Was it a half a quart low of the max line or min line on the stick? If it was from the max line, then the half a quart should not make a difference. I'm wondering if there is something else happening.

Old 08-01-2003, 09:29 AM
minifinn
4th Gear
Had the same deal with the flickering oil light. Add 1 quart and no problem. It freaks me out to see flashing red lights. Dip stick always said I was full when warm. The dealer said it does that occaisally. I assume it is a very sensitive sensor? After my 1st oil change, no more lights, in the first 1300 miles anyway.

Old 08-03-2003, 11:50 AM
sonoma1100
1st Gear
I always check the oil level after returning home from an oil change. I purchased one of the first C-5 Vettes in the area and after returning home the from its' first service, the oil did not register on the dipstick. Since I was only 2 miles from the dealer and would hold them accountable for any problem, I immediately drove back and they confirmed it was low.
The service manager became very defensive and said they added exactly what was specified in the service manual. I asked for proofand they brought the manual to me: it was for the C-4 engine which required 1.5 quarts less oil. Not much was said, 2 quarts of oil appeared, they even let me keep the extra 1/2 quart, which I guess was supposed to make everything OK.

Gary
02 dk gy/blk MCS

Old 08-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Trippy
Banned
>>Oh, and to answer the other question--
>> you'll get a pressure drop if you're low.
>> Presumably the idiot light'll tell you if you're low.
>>
>>ps: light only came on at idle, which makes sense.

Welllllllll,

Why would you get low oil-pressure if you were a quart low?

The oil pickup is near the bottom of the oil pan, and unless it's sucking air,
it doesn't care a whip if there is 1 inch or 4 inches of oil covering it.

And at idle, there's (presumably) no acceleration-induced sloshing in the
pan.

So I'm doubtful that 1/2 or even 1 quart low could cause low oil-pressure.

Any opinions?

I've had cars with flickering oil-presussure lights at idle, and they
were all caused by worn-out engines or oil pumps.

Old 08-03-2003, 03:01 PM
jlm
6th Gear
sounds like a funky sensor

Old 08-04-2003, 09:44 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Let's hope so. It came on again while on a mountain run. No funky noises, and the light wasn't consistent (pull over, check oil, re-start car, light goes out.)

After some agony we left the car up there and I'm going back up tonight with MINI roadside to retrieve it.

At this point it's just a major headache, not knowing if it's a problem, what'll happen, etc.

Wish me luck, I'm hoping that it's just a loose wire and all's well.

Jeff

Old 08-05-2003, 10:05 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Follow-Up:

All's well. Got it checked this morning and apparently it was the sensor. I didn't get the complete report but he said it's something about an evaporative leak (air in the system tripped the sensor?)

I'll get the full story when I pick her up, but the short version is that I'll get it back today.

Jeff

Old 08-05-2003, 11:15 AM
Trippy
Banned
Oh, excellent.

I didn't like the low-oil theory anyway.

This is much more understandable.