R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Oil Change, Oil Light, you know where this is going

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 05:28 PM
SpyderCKE
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Change, Oil Light, you know where this is going

My girlfriend got her oil changed today, because we just don't have the time or resources at the moment to do it ourselves (new house-me). The oil light has since come on, and the dipstick is showing the oil a bit above the full mark. I can only imagine this is high pressure, and a little draining should solve the problem.

I am going to try solve this over lunch tomorrow, so is it safe to drive a few miles and take it real easy? The mini dealer is down the road a few blocks from the oil place, so I was thinking of having them drain some oil and check for the spring thing, then seeing if the light goes out. If it doesn't I'll run to the dealer and have them quote a repair and start something with the oil change place.

Does this seem wise? If not, I could drain some oil myself tomorrow night but my RX-8 can only take so much snow driving on summer tires while she drives my crown vic

Old 12-02-2007, 05:34 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm pretty sure the oil indicator light is only there to warn of *low* pressure, not high pressure. And being slightly overfilled shouldn't cause a problem.

There's a chance the oil change place might have broken off the bypass valve inside the oil filter housing. I wouldn't drive the car anywhere with the oil light on.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:36 PM
SpyderCKE
Neutral
Should I check for this by draining the oil or something, and taking of the filter?

How much responsibility does an oil change place have for f ups like this?

Old 12-02-2007, 05:47 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would loosen the oil filter canister a few turns and wait a few minutes to let the oil drain out of the canister (requires a pretty big socket for the canister - 36mm, I think). Once you have the canister off, look into the housing. If the bypass valve is broken off, it should be pretty obvious. Be careful when screwing the filter canister back on - it's easy to cross-thread it.

How long after leaving the oil change place did the light come on? The way the bypass valve breaks, you should get the light right away or not at all.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:49 PM
SpyderCKE
Neutral
I noticed it blip off as we pulled out, and didn't see it the rest of the ride home. I think it came on on a second trip this evening, as she was idling in the driveway unloading..

Old 12-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't drive your car with the oil light on! You could very well be doing damage to your engine.

I'd have the car flat bedded to the dealer for a repair & then have Iffy Lube pay the bill.

Being over filled a bit will not cause the low oil pressure light to come on.

Good luck.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
SpyderCKE
Neutral
After a day of running around and research, it seems there is a part that needs to be taken out of the old filter, and put back in with the new one. Is this true? I had the dude check for the little springy valve and he said he could still feel it and it would push in and out. The dealer said there is a particular part that mechanics regularly throw out at less than reputable shops because they aren't aware of it.

What exactly is this part?? I was told it is like a tube that goes inside the filter. Is it the plastic cage type part that is attached to the housing? It doesn't seem like that is something that could easily come off.

I haven't been able to find any DIY's that describe removing anything, so I'm kind of lost now..

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...61&postcount=1

http://www.lonestarminiclub.com/foru...read.php?t=411

I have also learned that the low oil pressure is only at idle, and picks up once the revs are raised. Obviously not a good practice for the long term, but as long as that light is out, the oil situation should be in check.. Could this be something else?

Old 12-03-2007, 04:25 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only the Cooper NON S has the plastic peice in the canister for the filter. If you have an S you won't have that peice.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:32 PM
planeguy
6th Gear
one other thing that has not been mentioned yet is that cheapie aftermarket filters will collapse on themselves especially when they are not installed properly!.

Just because the light goes out does not mean that there is not a problem. the "dummy light" aka "idiot light" comes on when there is less than say 5psi of pressure...engines are diffrent but usually run about 40psi I think...SO...you may have only say 7psi when you need 40 for proper lubrication....

TIME TO MAKE TIME and GET IT DONE RIGHT.....Call the dealer! Oil pressure is a serious issue man

Old 12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Originally Posted by planeguy
one other thing that has not been mentioned yet is that cheapie aftermarket filters will collapse on themselves especially when they are not installed properly!.

Just because the light goes out does not mean that there is not a problem. the "dummy light" aka "idiot light" comes on when there is less than say 5psi of pressure...engines are diffrent but usually run about 40psi I think...SO...you may have only say 7psi when you need 40 for proper lubrication....

TIME TO MAKE TIME and GET IT DONE RIGHT.....Call the dealer! Oil pressure is a serious issue man
+1

Old 12-03-2007, 04:41 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
I agree with the filter, I ONLY use OEM filters. But the most important that I haven't seen mentioned is, we need to know is it a Cooper or an S??????????

Old 12-03-2007, 04:55 PM
SpyderCKE
Neutral
Its an 03 non S..

Old 12-03-2007, 05:05 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
That's what I thought.

Give him the fix Way.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:29 PM
chpsk8
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpyderCKE
... The mini dealer is down the road a few blocks from the oil place, ...
I know the dealer is more than Iffy Lube for oil changes, but this is a good reason to rethink the "cost/risk" factor.

Don't let the monkey at Iffy Lube minimize this repair. I'm betting they had a hard time with the filter and may have removed the spring to make it easier to install.

Last edited by chpsk8; 12-03-2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:02 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Well since you have a Cooper pull out the oil filter. I'd bet the plastic peice out of the Cartridge is missing. I've seen this happen so many times. You can only buy the entire cartridge lid with the plastic peice, can't buy the plastic peice by itself.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:23 PM
SpyderCKE
Neutral
ok, I picked up the metal housing with the black plastic cage in it. I'm just lost how the black cage could come loose since it felt like it was molded in with the metal housing. If I removed the metal housing (with the large socket) put a new filter on my new housing, will that likely solve the problem?

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row here

Old 12-03-2007, 07:08 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"iffy lube" LOL!

some people were crying that the OE filter's o-rings break.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
Yes that should solve the problem. You'll know when you remove it from the car. You'll be able to pull the filter out of the cap with little effort. The filter will need to slide down on the plastic cage on the new one.

The reason it is offen thrown away is the center of the filter fits so tight on the plastic cage when you pull the filter out the cage will stay in the filter. To the tech that hasn't changed oil on a Cooper before it looks like part of the filter and gets thrown out with the filter.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 PM
SpyderCKE
Neutral
Just gotta give my thanks to everyone here. I went to the shop and they wouldn't change out the new cage because a manager wasn't there. Told me to come back Thursday. I about threw the kid into the pit when I told him to just pretend your doing an oil change and I'll just pass this new part down to you, and he said "No! I'm not going to PRETEND to do an oil change!" Instead I just laughed and got contact info for the district manager so I can call him later and get some reimbursement.

Almost on sheer pent up anger, I took a few minutes during Grandmas birthday party and swapped it out myself. Lo and behold, no plastic cage, and the filter was even in upside down. Last time I don't do the oil myself, what an amazingly easy thing to do.

Thanks again to everyone here, my girlfriend is driving her oil light-less Mini, and I have my winter tank back (Police Interceptor with 200lbs of sand in the trunk).

Cheers, I'll drink one for ya.

Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
MINIGURU@WAY MOTOR WORKS
Vendor
I'm really glad I could help. And that you posted this. It kinda goes back to the old "You get what you pay for thing." I've had several people complain about what I charge for an oil change, $25+parts, but it's a small price to pay to get it done right the first time. And a heck of a deal over the dealer $105 oil change.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:36 PM
remotecontrol
2nd Gear
I think i have da same problem...

I had my oil change by some garage last time, run for around 400 miles and the oil light came out, i checked oil level ok, i than turn off the ignition and the oil light went off, i than drive for another 15 miles to the dealer and they said the valve is missing...

Why is the oil light only come out 400 miles after?
Will there be any possible damage to the engine with this 400 miles done on the car?

Cheers.....
R

Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 AM
navycav3
3rd Gear
what valve is missing?!

to be honest, dont take it to a dealer, dont take it to jiffy lube

take it to your garage and do it yourself

you can use better products for less than the dealer will charge you, plus you know exactly what has been done to the car

if you are saying that its too complicated and that i dont have the time, think again

its a very simple procedure that takes in most cases less than half an hour

you unscrew one bolt, unscrew one oil canister, let oil drain, replace drain plug, replace filter canister with new filter and new O ring, fill with oil

anyone can do it

Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 AM
thecigarman
4th Gear
Remotecontrol,

I have an '02 justacooper and when I bought it used from a Honda dealer a month ago the oil light came on and then would go off, then on again. It turned out that what MINI referred to as a "spring" in the oil filter was missing from the oil change and that was kicking off the light.

Apparently if you turn the ignition and wait a bit before you start the cat, the light resets; then the car senses the oil filter is not correctly installed and it goes off again. It is a false sensing that the filter is not correct because that component is not present and so does no harm as I was told.

Last edited by thecigarman; 08-19-2008 at 05:58 AM.