Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Issue with the supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 03:59 AM
Stergios Sotiriou
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue with the supercharger

Hello everyone, So here i am again, needing your expert opinions on this one

So i have a R53 with 135k km on it, Bought it like a year ago having an issue with the SC
the most common one i guess, never serviced before so its sounding really bad to be honest.
I live in Greece, on a city named Chalkida like an a hour from Athens( Capital ).
My main problem is that nobody in my city can fix a SC from a Mini cooper, neither change oils.
I called BMW and they told me they dont fix the SC and a new one costs 4,500e ( As much as i bought my mini :O ).
So, what am i going to do in my situation?
Best bet i guess is to find a used one and just replace it, but how do i know if a SC is in a good condition?
Any other opinions on making my SC sound like normal and not like that bad?

Edit: Its sounds in the video that the ticking sound is big but actually its not that big of a noise, Dont know why in the video the ticking sound is huge

Youtube video

Last edited by Stergios Sotiriou; 05-06-2019 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:53 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 549 Likes on 446 Posts
Stergios, if your supercharger has never been serviced it is certainly time for that to happen. There are two small oil reservoirs on the supercharger that supply lubrication for the supercharger shaft/gears. However, I believe that sound you provided is related to your timing chain not your supercharger. It could be as easy as only replacing your timing chain tensioner. You can find all the help you need on this Forum.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:56 AM
Stergios Sotiriou
1st Gear
You mean the ticking sound i have could be from Timing chain tensioner ? As far as i remember that an easy fix and i hope thats the cause.
As you said, il start from the tension and then finding someone that can replace oils on this SC.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:03 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Yes, it COULD be the tensioner. Replacing that part is easily the least expensive fix and the first thing that I would try. Given the high number of miles on your R53, that sound could also mean that the timing chain/guides need to be replaced. The supercharger is bulletproof because it has so few moving parts but it does require the correct amount of supercharger oil to work properly. For instance, I serviced the supercharger on my R53 at 125,000 miles and one of the oil reservoirs was almost completely empty. It's likely that your supercharger is in the same shape and should be looked at/serviced. Good luck.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Stergios Sotiriou
1st Gear
Even if its timing chain guides or a whole SC rebuild, both gonna cost a fortune, So i guess im in a fate where i have to pay a huge load of cash to have my cooper with no major issues ? ^^

Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 PM
Tgriffithjr
5th Gear
Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
Do you have a place to work on your car? Do you have tools? Both can be done with a moderate amount of skill.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:24 AM
JKo
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Sounds like a timing chain related noise to me too. Or could be the belt tensioner too..?

Replacing the chaing guides is a lot simpler and cheaper job than replacing the supercharger. But I'd start with the chain tensioner like cooper48 suggested. Part costs about 50€ and changing is simpler than changing your oil. Only the location is a bit awkward.

Old 05-07-2019, 05:36 AM
Stergios Sotiriou
1st Gear
Lets hope so, i guess.
Il go with a tensioner first when il visit a mechanic, already have a spare new tensioner. Not gonna try by myself to be honest.

as much as i love my cooper, i hate it when something sounds bad and you dont know where it coming from ^^

Old 05-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Stergios Sotiriou
1st Gear
So, im back with a few news.
I went to service my car, Changed a few things like crankshaft pulley, timing tensioner, the belt and a few other things.
Im almost sure that the ticking fom tensioner is fixed, also a pulley doing a sound too is fixed.

Im really sure now that my SC is bad and needs rebuild, because i tried putting oil in one side ( the one that i can reach without putting it down ) but still the sound is bad.

Im in a dillema now, Fix my SC or buy a used one.?
I found a rebuilld ( and never used again ) one for 350euros. Is it worth it? Or i can repair mine with less money?

Old 05-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Altecfenix
2nd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Stergios Sotiriou
So, im back with a few news.
I went to service my car, Changed a few things like crankshaft pulley, timing tensioner, the belt and a few other things.
Im almost sure that the ticking fom tensioner is fixed, also a pulley doing a sound too is fixed.

Im really sure now that my SC is bad and needs rebuild, because i tried putting oil in one side ( the one that i can reach without putting it down ) but still the sound is bad.

Im in a dillema now, Fix my SC or buy a used one.?
I found a rebuilld ( and never used again ) one for 350euros. Is it worth it? Or i can repair mine with less money?
Well, that's not a terrible price at all! I'm sure they require the old one as a core charge?

Old 05-25-2019, 02:03 AM
Stergios Sotiriou
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Altecfenix
Well, that's not a terrible price at all! I'm sure they require the old one as a core charge?
Its from a guy, he said it got rebuild in england, and he doesnt ask for anything else except 350e
How hard is to replace the Sc pulley?

Old 05-25-2019, 08:54 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
The SC pulley is easy to replace, particularly if you have the SC off the car. If you buy the pulley from MiniMania they will provide a puller at no cost (core charge that's returned when you mail it back to them). It's what I did to my R53 and it worked out beautifully.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:07 AM
Stergios Sotiriou
1st Gear
So im back, after spending about 1,5k euros on my Cooper
Replaced the SC with a rebuild one, water pump and many other things that my car needed.
Car is doing a lot better now i think, i feel like i got some power( HP ) back with that SC, as my old one was really bad for sure.
But..
i feel like the SC is having a loud sound, is it that SC are having that sound and i dont mean the whine.
I can hear clearly and a lot louder the whine from the SC when accelerating now too.
Heres a video of the car running on idle.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:41 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
That is not normal.

The following users liked this post:
Altecfenix (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:02 AM
Altecfenix
2nd Gear
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB 67
That is not normal.
No it's for sure not normal.
That sounds like air escaping one way or the other, unless it sounds more mechanical in person.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Stergios Sotiriou
1st Gear
To be honest, after the new rebuild one SC, the car sounds a lot better, still having a loud sound but not from grinding gears or anything from the SC.
Im sure the SC is having a bigger sound than a new/normal one would have, but im pretty sure i got rid of the problem my old one had ( a sound like grinding gears or something like that ) .
With that rebuild one SC and a new water pump ( oem one ) i fixed my issue for sure but car still sounding weird. ( note: on the video it sounds a lot more that in real time tbh )
So was thinking, Is it something else or is it that the new(rebuilt) SC is gonna go bad really fast?

Old 06-12-2019, 12:52 PM
cooper48
6th Gear
Stergios, buy an automotive stethoscope (eBay for 5 Euro). That will help you narrow down the location of the noise.