Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leaks r53

  #1  
Old 04-22-2019, 08:45 PM
yyj3869
yyj3869 is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Socal
Posts: 631
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oil leaks r53

Currently i had problem with coolant leak so i went to the shop and noticed that there was oil leak as well.
i replaced valeo clutch kit and rear main seal a month ago. Previous rear main seal did good job but i replaced it anyway.
i’ve also replaced oil pan gasket at the shop about 3 months ago. They sealed with silicone.. can anyone know where it leaks from?
i hope it’s not a rear main seal..

 
  #2  
Old 04-23-2019, 05:02 AM
cooper48's Avatar
cooper48
cooper48 is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 476
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
A rear main seal leak would cause clutch slippage that I'm assuming you don't have since you didn't mention it. Have you ever replaced the o-ring on the crank position sensor? That's on the front of the block but, when leaking, the oil can migrate down and back. What is your current oil usage/replacement interval?
 
  #3  
Old 04-23-2019, 07:14 AM
yyj3869
yyj3869 is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Socal
Posts: 631
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48 View Post
A rear main seal leak would cause clutch slippage that I'm assuming you don't have since you didn't mention it. Have you ever replaced the o-ring on the crank position sensor? That's on the front of the block but, when leaking, the oil can migrate down and back. What is your current oil usage/replacement interval?
i’ve replaced crank position sensor o ring as well. Yeah there is no slipping on clutch. I don’t really see dripping on the floor
 
  #4  
Old 04-23-2019, 07:23 AM
cooper48's Avatar
cooper48
cooper48 is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 476
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Wow! That's a tremendous amount of usage in only 2k miles. Given the amount I would suspect a leak at either the oil pan gasket (even though you just replaced it, you might try retorquing the pan bolts) and/or the oil drain plug. First though, I would clean the affected areas so that you can pinpoint the leak once you've driven it again.
 
  #5  
Old 04-23-2019, 09:04 AM
Stella11's Avatar
Stella11
Stella11 is offline
2nd Gear
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Near Watkins Glen International
Posts: 56
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I coolant leak may be your water pump or the seal behind it that the water pump connects to the block.
 
  #6  
Old 04-28-2019, 08:01 PM
Petr Studnička
Petr Studnička is offline
1st Gear
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yyj3869 View Post
Currently i had problem with coolant leak so i went to the shop and noticed that there was oil leak as well.
i replaced valeo clutch kit and rear main seal a month ago. Previous rear main seal did good job but i replaced it anyway.
i’ve also replaced oil pan gasket at the shop about 3 months ago. They sealed with silicone.. can anyone know where it leaks from?
i hope it’s not a rear main seal..
https://youtu.be/7fSWPz2wX2w

https://youtu.be/Rr7vPTEJDjE
Assuming we re looking at the back of your oil pan where the power steering pump sits... to me that looks like it could be your power steering hoses leaking it hard to tell from the video if what type of fluid exactly it is there also check the oil seperator they re prone to leak
ps: if it turns out to be p/s fluid it could be as simple as changing the reservoir cap o-ring
 

Last edited by Petr Studnička; 04-28-2019 at 09:01 PM.
  #7  
Old 05-07-2019, 04:55 PM
yyj3869
yyj3869 is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Socal
Posts: 631
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48 View Post
A rear main seal leak would cause clutch slippage that I'm assuming you don't have since you didn't mention it. Have you ever replaced the o-ring on the crank position sensor? That's on the front of the block but, when leaking, the oil can migrate down and back. What is your current oil usage/replacement interval?
If oil leaks from rear main seal, is clutch supposed to be slipping?
 
  #8  
Old 05-07-2019, 05:01 PM
yyj3869
yyj3869 is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Socal
Posts: 631
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
  #9  
Old 05-07-2019, 05:38 PM
cooper48's Avatar
cooper48
cooper48 is offline
4th Gear
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: DFW
Posts: 476
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
The rear main seal surrounds the crankshaft (inside the installed transmission). If it's leaking there, you'll soon have oil on the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc causing your clutch to slip.
 
  #10  
Old 05-07-2019, 06:36 PM
yyj3869
yyj3869 is offline
5th Gear
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Socal
Posts: 631
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cooper48 View Post
The rear main seal surrounds the crankshaft (inside the installed transmission). If it's leaking there, you'll soon have oil on the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc causing your clutch to slip.
It's already been over a month since I installed clutch and rear main seal however, clutch runs fine and i don't see any slipping. which means it is not rear main seal correct?
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
ladzio
Stock Problems/Issues
7
11-16-2015 03:32 AM
WhoHasGotTheBlueS
Stock Problems/Issues
9
09-23-2014 05:34 PM
ericscottf
R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006)
24
07-06-2011 07:54 PM
jckonrad
MINI5280
6
05-21-2010 01:47 PM
rynegold
R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006)
5
08-04-2008 08:34 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leaks r53


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.