Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Diagnosing oil consumption

Old 04-22-2019, 11:37 AM
ohhhh_schmidt
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Diagnosing oil consumption

I know the PCV system is a big issue as well as seeing some references to valve seals. My question is more about how to tell which of those or anywhere else it's getting out.

My 08 S has 100,500 miles. I've put about 1100 miles on it since purchase and in that time I've had to add 2 quarts of oil, which seems about double what I expected from my reading.

My valve cover looks like it's been changed because it doesn't have the mini logo or the labels, but I don't know if the updated version is also prone to problems or if there were multiple updates done to it. I know a catch can would keep from burning it but it doesn't really keep it in the system, either since I'd just be emptying the can instead of blowing it out the exhaust.

I get an oil smell inside the car from time to time, but I haven't seen any blue smoke in the exhaust so far (though all I can see is at idle) and the smell reminds me more of fresh oil than burned.

I have a 276A/P0420 for low catalyst efficiency but it doesn't turn on the CEL. Not sure what's going on there but I know oil contamination is a possible cause so I'm hesitant to dump a few hundred bucks on a cat if oil is going to ruin it again in short order.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:04 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
I'd look for oil leaks first, if you are smelling oil. you will have to clean up the engine first. Just getting in there and cleaning will let you see about where it is leaking, then you can keep a close eye out for where exactly it is leaking.
If you see oil leaks at the crank seal, that could caused by a bad PCV valve. One test of the PCV valve is to see if you have pressure on the oil cap, or a strong vacuum. Normally, it should have a slight vacuum at the cap when the engine is running.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:47 PM
ohhhh_schmidt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DneprDave View Post
I'd look for oil leaks first, if you are smelling oil. you will have to clean up the engine first. Just getting in there and cleaning will let you see about where it is leaking, then you can keep a close eye out for where exactly it is leaking.
If you see oil leaks at the crank seal, that could caused by a bad PCV valve. One test of the PCV valve is to see if you have pressure on the oil cap, or a strong vacuum. Normally, it should have a slight vacuum at the cap when the engine is running.
Thanks. I'll check the oil cap and look for oil. The dealer I bought it from did a pretty decent cleaning job so I shouldn't have much trouble finding a leak if it's there, but I have been paying attention to my parking spot in the garage and haven't seen a drop. Nor did I see any when I rolled under it trying to figure out the best way to get at that diabolical intake manifold bracket bolt. I initially thought my thermostat leak was oil because it had the golden colored Zerex g05 coolant in it but figured that out when the puddle evaporated overnight.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:41 PM
ohhhh_schmidt
1st Gear
One test of the PCV valve is to see if you have pressure on the oil cap, or a strong vacuum. Normally, it should have a slight vacuum at the cap when the engine is running.
I have slight vacuum on the oil cap. Also, when I took the oil cap off the engine idle speed started gradually increasing, which makes sense since it's pulling air through the cap into the manifold downstream of the throttle, and it also triggered a pending OBD2 code for exactly that. So I believe my PCV system is working correctly.

Last edited by ohhhh_schmidt; 05-07-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:03 AM
ohhhh_schmidt
1st Gear
The only leak I can find is at the hose connection for the PCV hose that runs to the intake tube at the turbo inlet. Also, I'm noticing that the oil smell I'm getting happens when the HVAC system has been off and I turn it on. Makes me think a normally imperceptible oil odor is collecting in the outside air inlet or the cabin filter housing.

I've got a generic catch can from amazon being delivered today that I'll install on the driver side hose, and I'm considering blocking the passenger with the Peugeot plugs or installing a second OCC. I've read a lot of your posts that seem to imply that the people that have problems after blocking off the passenger hose have existing PVC issues and that the blocking off isn't the root cause. Is that an accurate summary of your position?

Old 05-07-2019, 09:23 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by ohhhh_schmidt View Post
The only leak I can find is at the hose connection for the PCV hose that runs to the intake tube at the turbo inlet. Also, I'm noticing that the oil smell I'm getting happens when the HVAC system has been off and I turn it on. Makes me think a normally imperceptible oil odor is collecting in the outside air inlet or the cabin filter housing.

I've got a generic catch can from amazon being delivered today that I'll install on the driver side hose, and I'm considering blocking the passenger with the Peugeot plugs or installing a second OCC. I've read a lot of your posts that seem to imply that the people that have problems after blocking off the passenger hose have existing PVC issues and that the blocking off isn't the root cause. Is that an accurate summary of your position?
Yes, that is exactly right. I blocked off the passenger side PCV line with a BSH dual boost tap and installed a BSH oil catch can about nine years ago . I haven't had any problems with the PCV system.

The cabin air filter intake is just inboard of the battery, I suppose that it could draw oil fumes into the cabin, if there were a leak.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:28 PM
ohhhh_schmidt
1st Gear
nice, I think I'll try the blockoff caps first since they're relatively inexpensive, and if it doesn't work out I'll add the second catch can.