North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   Diagnosing oil consumption (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/338219-diagnosing-oil-consumption.html)

ohhhh_schmidt 04-22-2019 11:37 AM

Diagnosing oil consumption

I know the PCV system is a big issue as well as seeing some references to valve seals. My question is more about how to tell which of those or anywhere else it's getting out.

I've put about 1100 miles on it since purchase and in that time I've had to add 2 quarts of oil, which seems about double what I expected from my reading.

My valve cover looks like it's been changed because it doesn't have the mini logo or the labels, but I don't know if the updated version is also prone to problems or if there were multiple updates done to it. I know a catch can would keep from burning it but it doesn't really keep it in the system, either since I'd just be emptying the can instead of blowing it out the exhaust.

I get an oil smell inside the car from time to time, but I haven't seen any blue smoke in the exhaust so far (though all I can see is at idle) and the smell reminds me more of fresh oil than burned.

DneprDave 04-22-2019 12:04 PM

I'd look for oil leaks first, if you are smelling oil. you will have to clean up the engine first. Just getting in there and cleaning will let you see about where it is leaking, then you can keep a close eye out for where exactly it is leaking.
If you see oil leaks at the crank seal, that could caused by a bad PCV valve. One test of the PCV valve is to see if you have pressure on the oil cap, or a strong vacuum. Normally, it should have a slight vacuum at the cap when the engine is running.

ohhhh_schmidt 04-22-2019 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DneprDave (Post 4465013)
I'd look for oil leaks first, if you are smelling oil. you will have to clean up the engine first. Just getting in there and cleaning will let you see about where it is leaking, then you can keep a close eye out for where exactly it is leaking.
If you see oil leaks at the crank seal, that could caused by a bad PCV valve. One test of the PCV valve is to see if you have pressure on the oil cap, or a strong vacuum. Normally, it should have a slight vacuum at the cap when the engine is running.

Thanks. I'll check the oil cap and look for oil. The dealer I bought it from did a pretty decent cleaning job so I shouldn't have much trouble finding a leak if it's there, but I have been paying attention to my parking spot in the garage and haven't seen a drop. Nor did I see any when I rolled under it trying to figure out the best way to get at that diabolical intake manifold bracket bolt. I initially thought my thermostat leak was oil because it had the golden colored Zerex g05 coolant in it but figured that out when the puddle evaporated overnight.

ohhhh_schmidt 05-03-2019 04:41 PM

One test of the PCV valve is to see if you have pressure on the oil cap, or a strong vacuum. Normally, it should have a slight vacuum at the cap when the engine is running.

I have slight vacuum on the oil cap. Also, when I took the oil cap off the engine idle speed started gradually increasing, which makes sense since it's pulling air through the cap into the manifold downstream of the throttle, and it also triggered a pending OBD2 code for exactly that. So I believe my PCV system is working correctly.

ohhhh_schmidt 05-07-2019 09:03 AM

The only leak I can find is at the hose connection for the PCV hose that runs to the intake tube at the turbo inlet. Also, I'm noticing that the oil smell I'm getting happens when the HVAC system has been off and I turn it on. Makes me think a normally imperceptible oil odor is collecting in the outside air inlet or the cabin filter housing.

I've got a generic catch can from amazon being delivered today that I'll install on the driver side hose, and I'm considering blocking the passenger with the Peugeot plugs or installing a second OCC. I've read a lot of your posts that seem to imply that the people that have problems after blocking off the passenger hose have existing PVC issues and that the blocking off isn't the root cause. Is that an accurate summary of your position?

DneprDave 05-07-2019 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ohhhh_schmidt (Post 4468163)
The only leak I can find is at the hose connection for the PCV hose that runs to the intake tube at the turbo inlet. Also, I'm noticing that the oil smell I'm getting happens when the HVAC system has been off and I turn it on. Makes me think a normally imperceptible oil odor is collecting in the outside air inlet or the cabin filter housing.

I've got a generic catch can from amazon being delivered today that I'll install on the driver side hose, and I'm considering blocking the passenger with the Peugeot plugs or installing a second OCC. I've read a lot of your posts that seem to imply that the people that have problems after blocking off the passenger hose have existing PVC issues and that the blocking off isn't the root cause. Is that an accurate summary of your position?

Yes, that is exactly right. I blocked off the passenger side PCV line with a BSH dual boost tap and installed a BSH oil catch can about nine years ago . I haven't had any problems with the PCV system.

The cabin air filter intake is just inboard of the battery, I suppose that it could draw oil fumes into the cabin, if there were a leak.

ohhhh_schmidt 05-07-2019 02:28 PM

nice, I think I'll try the blockoff caps first since they're relatively inexpensive, and if it doesn't work out I'll add the second catch can.

jjcsnlynn 06-02-2019 05:52 PM

How did that change your oil consumption? I had mine that way and was using lots of oil so I unblocked the pvc today.

I was having exactly the same issues as you.