Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Software upgraded to 39.2 issues on MCS

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 02:12 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had V39 done two weeks ago because my SES warning lit up and the engine started sputtering. I still wasn't happy, but after I reset the ECU this weekend things appeared to be fine. Unfortunately, the engine has begun sputtering again and I have an appointment on Monday to have it thoroughly checked out by one of their techs who is really super.....they're actually going to give me a loaner for the day! The tech told me that I'm their first V39 reflash to come back with a problem. I'm looking forward to their findings.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Minirox
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok here's the rest of the story: V39 corrects a fault code in the emmission program. It's supposed to be v38 with this correction.If you live in a state or city that has you emission test before registration renewal. You will need to get the up date or your car could fail.(Modern technology) they plug it in, if a fault code shows up you fail. Mini is coving there butt by the recall so you can't blame them if it fails. How many of you who are dissatisfied with the upgrade have after market software? Just a thought.

I live in an area where emission testing is not required. I also have aftermarket software and my car runs fine so I have no intention of upgrading.

If you live in an area like mine(emission testing not required) and you take your mini in for service and don't want the upgrade make sure the service manager knows you don't want it. So they don't just load it.

Old 11-23-2004, 02:59 PM
rajron
3rd Gear
I needed emissions testing to register the car in my city because I bought the car out of state, indecently the smog checks failed so the technicians just gave me my certificate anyway because they said it was a new car and they were not familiar with it. In two years I will have to go through the emission testing again and will need the ECU upgrade, hope it’s all resolved by then. Read in other thread, yo-yo, and a lot of the people there who had the V39 thought it was an improvement over the other ECU upgrades?

Old 11-23-2004, 03:10 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rajron
Read in other thread, yo-yo, and a lot of the people there who had the V39 thought it was an improvement over the other ECU upgrades?
I've had two other version of software on my MCS. v36 and one prior to that (don't remember the number--it was being put into Jan 03 build cars). Neither of these had the "herky-jerky" feeling, althought the first one did have the 1st Gear stumble. As a matter of fact they felt smooth as glass in most all throttle positions and deltas of throttle. Much like a BMW designed car should feel. However now with the herky-jerky feeling of 39.2, it feels much worse than the software on my wife's 2002 Neon. The Neon had been in 4 times for software related issues that they couldn't solve. But alas, that's another story. What really sucks is the Neon drives better than the MCS now... and that really sucks because it's a 9.9k car as compared to a 23k car! I'd like to get back to v36 as it was smooth as glass!

BTW, I do not have aftermarket software. Maybe aftermarket might "fix" the issue, but why spend $800 of my hard earned cash to fix MINI's mistake?

Old 11-24-2004, 09:43 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Can you reveal your source on this? It seems like a big step backwards for MINI as v.38 corrected - for the most part - many other problems (cruise control, yo-yo, etc.) So why would they backtrack to v.36 and it's known problem history?

Originally Posted by Minirox
Ok here's the rest of the story: V39 corrects a fault code in the emmission program. It's supposed to be v36 with this correction.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
This V39 and emissions control stuff is starting to get to me. After half a mile this morning, my SES light went on again and I had some serious sputtering and loss of power. I went straight to the dealer, fortunately only ten miniuites away, and had to leave it there. They may be able to start looking at it today, but probably not until Friday. No loaner this time.
Aahhhhhhh!!!!!

Old 11-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Minirox
3rd Gear
Ok here's the rest of the story: V39 corrects a fault code in the emmission program. It's supposed to be v36 with this correction.
__________________________________________________ _____________
posted by CoryB
Can you reveal your source on this? It seems like a big step backwards for MINI as v.38 corrected - for the most part - many other problems (cruise control, yo-yo, etc.) So why would they backtrack to v.36 and it's known problem history?

My Bad V 38 with changes. My info was from the teck at Mini. I have 36 which worked fine on my 03 MCS. Since then I've added Dinan s3 software. Im going to stick with what works.No 39 or 40 what ever else they come up with. Edited original post Thanks

Old 11-25-2004, 08:52 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
__________________________________________________ _____________
posted by CoryB

My Bad V 38 with changes. My info was from the teck at Mini. I have 36 which worked fine on my 03 MCS. Since then I've added Dinan s3 software. Im going to stick with what works.No 39 or 40 what ever else they come up with. Edited original post Thanks
Ah! Correction noted. Thanks!

Old 11-25-2004, 09:19 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Herby - stop being so nice to your MINI - next time it starts sputtering, cram the gas to the floor teach it a lesson!

Old 11-25-2004, 09:36 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Ryephile......I've tried that, but the car actually talks back and tells me that it's going to blow if I don't take my bleepin' foot off the pedal. I hope that the Mini tech is able to teach it some better manners! Will report back.

Old 11-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Is your car still stock and/or warrantiable? If so, let it blow itself up! There is no good reason the ECU should let that happen, but if something is wrong with MINI's software, then it's totally their problem! That should give the [usually stupid] MINI techs something tangible to work with

Old 11-26-2004, 12:16 PM
tagger99
1st Gear
Exactly how do you do the reset?,after going thru the steps to "log i-on" and scrolling to number 21.0 do you hold the button for 3 seconds and that preforms the reset, is there a confirmation that the reset has taken place?

thanks
Tom

Old 11-26-2004, 04:26 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
lol - yea the gauges will reset (looks like they're freaking out), and ALL your lights will flash, and your trip odo will reset.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:15 PM
MINISPIDER
4th Gear
I took my car to the dealer for the recall letter i've got, and he advised me not to do it. He said it may mess up my current settings and just to leave it alone, since the recall is nothing serious and is just to make the techs life easier when diagnostic a problem.....He put my key in the key reader and told me I'm better off without it..so I took his advice and left running out of there. My car is been running great since the day I picked it up at the dealer, may be 'cause I have a JCW and the software is different?....no complains here ...(knocking on wood)

Old 11-27-2004, 02:21 PM
BSQ
2nd Gear
well, just figured I'd add my experience to this nightmare thread. I went in for my 10K service on Wednesday. I checked-in a perfectly running March 04 MCS, that has had not a single problem. NOT A SIGNLE ONE! I came home with an 04MCS that feels like it's gonna stall any time I've at a long signal. Within 3 hours I was back at the dealer listening to their reasons why I was experiencing this, and in no uncertain terms telling the service rep what he was telling me what a crock of you know what. What angers me most is I specifically told him I've had none of the issues most people report with my car ... and he found that incredibly hard to believe. READ MY LIPS!

Oh well, at least reading this thread gives me something to try and see if it helps ... otherwise, I do believe they will be hearing from me quite frequently.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Xman
3rd Gear
Anyone from MINIUSA would dare to comment on this issue.......PLEASE !!!!

Old 11-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Detroit Tuned
Vendor - 15 Years
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
so far i have not had to many problems with V39. the car feels like it has more power and i love the way the cruise control works now! (that was from the V38 fix that i never got) i do get a strange idel every now and then if i sit too long. it has never happened at a light yet. once it was in my drive way, and i just let it go to see if it would stall or be o.k. a few seconds of shutter and the car was able to catch up on it's own and smooth out. normally i jab the gas a bit and it's fine. i would say it's only happened 3 or 4 times since i have had V39. it's shouldn't be there, but over all it's not too bad to deal with. the last tank of gas came to be 26.79 miles per gal. i am normally up around 27 or 28. but it did seam like this tank was going to go up in miles per gal. i had 250 miles on it already before it hit the half way mark. maybe i had a bit of a hevy foot that day. i'll keep an eye on it and report back later.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:58 PM
mtrspt5
3rd Gear
Willi have to disconnect my Unichip first and then do the reset or can I do it with the Unichip in the system?

Old 11-27-2004, 04:19 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
So what's the biggest risk of having your emission warranty voided by not upgrading to V39? The loss of coverage for the catalytic converter?

Old 11-27-2004, 06:52 PM
Xman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mtrspt5
Willi have to disconnect my Unichip first and then do the reset or can I do it with the Unichip in the system?
mtrspt5,

I called Unichip to inquire about that exact same question, and they told me that we don't need to disconnect it before the Dealer flash the new software.

Old 11-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Aqualung
4th Gear
Like agokart, no probs (touch wood) since this past Tue. I just filled up and got 27.2 mpg, which is about 1-2 mpg higher than my running avg. I have only seen 28 mpg or so once since getting my car last spring.

And, have finally been able to use the cruise control, only seeing a 2-3mph variance, before it was totally useless. Still not as "tight" as my Honda CC, that barely moves on hills, etc.

Old 11-27-2004, 07:58 PM
1996 328ti
3rd Gear
I think I have v38 right now and the car is in the shop for the recalls, new sunroof, dash rattle, intermittent headlight module, runflat and DSC fault and I don't remember the other 1/2 dozen things. I assume I will be getting the latest version software. But I swear, the car always seems OK for a week or so then relearns its nasty habits.

Old 11-27-2004, 08:34 PM
mtrspt5
3rd Gear
Thanks

Originally Posted by Xman
mtrspt5,

I called Unichip to inquire about that exact same question, and they told me that we don't need to disconnect it before the Dealer flash the new softare.

Old 11-28-2004, 06:43 AM
Aqualung
4th Gear
plus, I'm chirping my wheels in 1st, w/ DSC on...didn't seem to do this as much before...will have to adjust my takeoff routine....

Old 11-29-2004, 05:58 AM
BSQ
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Aqualung
plus, I'm chirping my wheels in 1st, w/ DSC on...didn't seem to do this as much before...will have to adjust my takeoff routine....
I see to be doing that now too. I figured it was just my leadfoot. Okay, so now one complete tank of gas later, around town my MPG dropped from 26 to a dismal 22mpg. Highway driving still seems to be steady at about 33mpg. 500 miles later, and the car is still quite rough on idle. As others mentioned enough for passengers to comment "what's wrong with your car?"

Oh yeah, just for kicks, this morning I called Mini USA to see what they'd say about this little issue. Usually most helpful folks, it seemed like I interrupted the person I talked with from getting his morning coffee. With regard to the emissions recall work, I'm told they've not heard of a single problem.

My clock too, switched to 24 hour time. Oh how I hate having to think to tell time!

Quick Reply: Software upgraded to 39.2 issues on MCS