Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Software upgraded to 39.2 issues on MCS

Old 11-19-2004, 08:38 PM
SwingMCS03
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Herky-jerky

Mine is doing it, too. Stop and go traffic is a nightmare. At low speeds, what used to be a no-issues event has turned into like riding a bull. My v39.2 is the pits. I am going to have to try the ECU reset.

MINI USA: are you reading this???

Old 11-19-2004, 10:06 PM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sfjames2
Decided to get control arms first, should be here in a couple days. Then when the runflats are done, it's new rims and tires.
Sweet!

Old 11-19-2004, 11:06 PM
jmoser
4th Gear
Still waiting to hear from those of you who are just learning to reset the ECU--did it work? Did it "fix" your v39 update to work right?

if so, wonder why the dealers don't know to do it, followed by a quick drive to get it started off right?

I'm waiting for more good news before I'm off to get my mandatory update, from my "not-perfect" v36, but damn good enuff ...I'm due for service nearly immediately, so please someone who was having v39 headaches post how the ECU reset worked (or didn't ) for you!

Thanks...

Old 11-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
If I reset the ECU will it effect my GIAC re-mapping?

Old 11-20-2004, 09:21 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I theorize that, as AGOKART said, you have to reset the ECU [test 19, subtest 21] to make V39 run well, just like I discovered with V38. The car will run like CRAP until you reset the ECU. The was never an issue with earlier software versions, and I honetly can't say what the reset literally does, other than guess the reset "makes the code happy".
I'm headed out to the garage right now to test this out.

I've got a pulley and CAI on my MCS.

Is there anyone out there with a non-pullied MCS that is experiencing this?

Old 11-20-2004, 09:35 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
--->jmoser - when was the last time you ran across an intelligent dealership staff, seriously? Even if they knew to "reboot the computer", they would no doubt screw up the driving bed-in process.

--->Herby74 - I know you know better. I'll give you a hint; the answer starts with "N".

--->dominic - vehicle config usually has nothing to do with how crappy the ECU handles the car, or more specifically the e-gas. The e-gas has been the MINI's ECU programming nemesis for a long time. Remember that my car yo-yo'd all the way from bone stock to it's current state, regardless of engine mods or ECU mapping. It's the ECU algorithms that are written wrong.

Last edited by Ryephile; 11-20-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
Yeh, I do know better, Ryephile....just feeling very cautious. Despite my question, I used your directions for re-setting the ECU and things appear to be back to normal. I'm a happy camper once again. Your expertise is very much appreciated!!!

Old 11-20-2004, 10:24 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
OK, got back from a 20 mile drive. Drop 5 miles (city and hiway). Turned off car and restarted. Drove 5 miles hiway and found that the rev-limiter maxs out at 7K RPMs now. Turned off car and restarted and drove 10 miles back home. Not sure if this is enough time for the ECU to learn, but the car certainly "feels" better. There's still one thing I still felt in the first five miles. Cruising on the freeway (part constant throttle position) I can feel a "sputter" where it seems like the fuel is shut-off and picked up again quickly.

Like I said, the car certainly feels better on throttle pickup and throttle let-off. However, I'm wondering how much of a placebo effect it is, where my brain wants it to be better so it is better. So, on Monday, I'll ask my car-pool buddy if he notices any difference (but I won't tell him I reset the ECU). I'll keep you all posted.

I'm going to check my by-pass butterfly adjustment. Maybe I'm leaking some air and the ECU is trying to pick it up correctly.

I couldn't get into function 20 (MPG adjustment). Anyone know how?

Old 11-20-2004, 10:32 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Rant: Oh GREAT!!!! I'm so thrilled! I had the cold start, so I had the ECU upgraded to fix that, which gave me the stumble. Had the ECU upgraded to fix the stumble, wound up with a modified stumble and got the cold start problem back. NOW I have to have an upgrade to fix something I didn't even know was broken, and here it will further break my car.

I'M SICK OF THIS ****, MINIUSA!!!!! People ask how I like my car and I tell them; "I love it... BUT" YOU'RE GETTING BAD WORD-OF-MOUTH, MINIUSA!!! BAD, BAD, BAAAAAD!!! And don't think for one second that I will EVER "upgrade" to a 1 series when you finally make them available here: I'd just as soon run over my grandmother with a lurchy, twice-started, herky-jerky MINI (I do, by the way, have perpetual access to just such a car, thanks to you).

/RANT.

And now onto the question phase...

Ryephile, etc: is there any conceivable way that I could screw up my car attempting to reset the computer, since I'll apparently have to?

I'm horrifically whiny, but I've been putting off the recall work specifically to see if there were any issues... *grumble*

Old 11-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Toastie - I'm sure there's always a chance of botching up the job, but as long as you follow the directions near the bottom of Page 1 here, you'll be good to go.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:39 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
I'm sorry...reset or no reset...V38 SUCKS!!! My milage sucks at any speed over 75 in 6th gear and there is definitely a "dead" zone from -10 to 0 psi range...as if the engine is being retarded by the ECU. The problem is that's where 80mph and 6th gear fall into!!! At that speed/gear, I'm getting 19mph If I shift down to 5th at the same speed, my milage goes up to 26! WTF I too wish I could have my V36 back I'M SO PISSED OFF AT WHAT THEY'VE DONE

Old 11-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Xman
3rd Gear
Just curious to know why we haven't heard a word from MINIUSA about this
We all know they're reading those threads...

Start to wonder if there's a possible legal route MCS owners could take to solve this issue, especially in Califronia where they will not re-register the car if we haven't done the upgrade

Old 11-21-2004, 12:27 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Sid - The best tank I've had is 34.5 MPG with V38+UNIchip+Ryephix2, which was en-route to The Dragon this July. Now that I've switched to the Kumho MX's, my best tank has been 29.2 MPG with the same setup and route. BIG delta with the only change being tires! I know you're running these tires too, so keep my observations in-mind.

Old 11-21-2004, 03:50 AM
jinubob81
4th Gear
i have this sneaking suspicion that mini/bmw wants to test just how much utter CRAP new car buyers will take if they inject enough enthusiasm into a brand.

Windshield. Coolant tank. Power steering fan. ECU. Rattles. And for me specifically, the limp home mode activation.

Don't give me that "it's only a 20k car..." divide 20k by the number of chipotle burritos you can buy! That's roughly 3750-4000 burritos! DELICIOUS DOWN THE DRAIN!

FIX OUR CARS PLEASE. You're already on your 4th set. What else can you screw up? Honestly.

Old 11-21-2004, 05:54 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Questions

Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I'm sorry...reset or no reset...V38 SUCKS!!! My milage sucks at any speed over 75 in 6th gear and there is definitely a "dead" zone from -10 to 0 psi range...as if the engine is being retarded by the ECU. The problem is that's where 80mph and 6th gear fall into!!! At that speed/gear, I'm getting 19mph If I shift down to 5th at the same speed, my milage goes up to 26! WTF I too wish I could have my V36 back I'M SO PISSED OFF AT WHAT THEY'VE DONE
MSFITOY, Are you going to have Ver. 39.xx installed and reset the ECU?
Ryephile, what size Kumho MX's I have been considering them.
Does anyone actually know if this is 39.1 or 39.2??
In the How to on computer's "back door" can someone explain 20.0 Correction factor's for fuel consumption.

Old 11-21-2004, 06:48 AM
El Diablito Rojo-N20Mini
Banned
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
great job BMW...... I know the feeling

it even made me more pissed off after getting a ride home from Steve's last night from Dave and his lovely wife. His car with the new JCW05 software drove wonderful compared to the chugging crap that I have. It was a pleasure to ride in a car that didn't bog or chug . I want to thank Dave and his wife for their hospitality again. It truly separates the Mini community from the rest. Can't wait to do some motoring next month with them after the TWINCHARGE is done.

Old 11-21-2004, 07:13 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
I bet that the EPA would be interested to know that cars sold at one mileage rating were effectively being converted to a much lower MPG.

When I was upgraded some months ago to v3?? I saw a consumption increase and drivability decrease.

I have a new absolute rule about car-buying: I won't own another car with Siemans software.

Jeff

Old 11-21-2004, 07:26 AM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Mine is Jan 04 built and I schedule for the recal this monday. Should I do or don't do it? If I'm not doing it now will they do it when my first severvice is up?

Old 11-21-2004, 07:39 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Sid - The best tank I've had is 34.5 MPG with V38+UNIchip+Ryephix2, which was en-route to The Dragon this July. Now that I've switched to the Kumho MX's, my best tank has been 29.2 MPG with the same setup and route. BIG delta with the only change being tires! I know you're running these tires too, so keep my observations in-mind.
I have no doubt you're right about the tire difference but I think my problems are of a different nature to loose 10mpg As soon as I get the Auterra scanner on, I'll report back. I'm certain that V38 is doing some strange adjustments to the timing at my reported dead spot

Old 11-21-2004, 08:07 AM
Herby74
5th Gear
After resetting the ECU and going for a drive yesterday, I too was a little concerned that I could be experiencing a placebo effect. However, after taking another whirl this morning I'm convinced that this fix is the real deal.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:14 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
Remember that your computer mpg is only an estimate, and your actual mpg may be different. The new ECU programming could have some affect on the computer readings, but possibly none or little on the actual mpg. I don't believe any computer's mpg. When I want to measure mpg I do it the old fashioned way: when you fill up, set your trip mileage to zero (or write down the full mileage), then when you fill up again, write down the new mileage and subtract it from the earlier mileage. Then divide that by the gallons it took to fill your tank this time. Bwala -- your actual mpg. :smile:

Old 11-21-2004, 08:21 AM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by jazmini
Remember that your computer mpg is only an estimate, and your actual mpg may be different. The new ECU programming could have some affect on the computer readings, but possibly none or little on the actual mpg. I don't believe any computer's mpg. When I want to measure mpg I do it the old fashioned way: when you fill up, set your trip mileage to zero (or write down the full mileage), then when you fill up again, write down the new mileage and subtract it from the earlier mileage. Then divide that by the gallons it took to fill your tank this time. Bwala -- your actual mpg. :smile:
Yes..yes yes yes...done that a million times. It only proves that my computer gives pretty damn good estimates. When my OBC shows 19mph...that what I get

Old 11-21-2004, 08:45 AM
jazmini
4th Gear
ok. :smile:

Old 11-21-2004, 08:56 AM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dominicminicoopers
Not sure if this is enough time for the ECU to learn, but the car certainly "feels" better.
We'll after another spin in the car, it certainly was a placebo effect. The 21 reset of the ECU did not make my car any better after all.

Anyone know how to get into setting 20? When I cycle thru the numbers, 20 is missing.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:17 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Yes 20 is missing - there's nothing you can do about it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Software upgraded to 39.2 issues on MCS