Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Black soot all over back of car after stage 2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 03:30 PM
mationato
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Black soot all over back of car after stage 2?

I've noticed after going stage 2 with an Akrapovic DP I get a lot of this black stuff all over the rear end of my car after only a couple days of driving. Is this expected? It wipes off easily but I just want to make sure nothing's wrong.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:41 PM
Kevinp_27
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would assume since you are catless that it probably normal, but i could be wrong

Old 10-14-2018, 12:34 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
It looks kind of soot or carbon, did you get BBQ mode, or increased pops and burbles? I don’t know, it’s not something I’ve experienced on mine, other than the soot/carbon that coats the exhaust tips on all R60’s. I’m thinking it’s probably something similar to that. But I am fully catless with a tune and have not had that happen.

Old 10-14-2018, 04:34 AM
blue al
4th Gear
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Nothing on my car with same set-up, akropovic + jcw catback
but very low mileage and gp diffuser may also be factors

Old 10-14-2018, 11:15 AM
mationato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy
It looks kind of soot or carbon, did you get BBQ mode, or increased pops and burbles? I don’t know, it’s not something I’ve experienced on mine, other than the soot/carbon that coats the exhaust tips on all R60’s. I’m thinking it’s probably something similar to that. But I am fully catless with a tune and have not had that happen.
Interesting... I didn't get any options like that, but it does pop a lot more than it used to, and I pretty much always drive in sport mode.

Old 10-15-2018, 06:24 PM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mationato
Interesting... I didn't get any options like that, but it does pop a lot more than it used to, and I pretty much always drive in sport mode.
Then I’ll bet that’s what it is. When it’s in sport mode the ECU pumps more fuel in on the exhaust stroke to send unburnt fuel into the exhaust manifold to detonate there, that’s how they pop. I’d imagine that it’s just unburnt gasses or a bit of carbon soot.

Old 10-15-2018, 07:15 PM
RockC
5th Gear
Received 212 Likes on 178 Posts
Doubt it is soot unless when idling you see black exhaust wafting out and up from the exhaust outlets.

Had something similar show up on my Porsche 996 Turbo's rear bumper surfaces. It is tire dust.

You should have seen the amount of tire dust in my Boxster's engine air filter, an air filter I admittedly left in service too long -- lost track of miles -- to the point it was affecting the engine. Removed the filter element from the air box. Removed the foam layer. Turned the filter upside down and smacked it on the sidewalk. Every pleat left a black line of tire dust on the sidewalk. The engine perked up some after the new air filter was installed. The old air filter was getting full.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:13 AM
mationato
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MrGrumpy

Then I’ll bet that’s what it is. When it’s in sport mode the ECU pumps more fuel in on the exhaust stroke to send unburnt fuel into the exhaust manifold to detonate there, that’s how they pop. I’d imagine that it’s just unburnt gasses or a bit of carbon soot.
But if nobody else is experiencing the same thing? I just want to make sure this isn't some kind of early warning something is wrong with my car

Old 10-16-2018, 10:48 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
You never know, it may be worth looking into for piece of mind if nothing else. Tire dust, I don’t know, it’s possible. Could just be something that was on the road surface as well. But I still think it may just be unburnt fuel or something like that. But seeing as how nobody else is really experiencing this, you may want to get an opinion from the dealer or a good Mini tech.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:26 AM
cornjuice
Banned
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
drive it hard .. like track hard for an hour or so.. change the oil after. *You are 'cleaning' out..mine spit a bit for the first week or two. Not noticeable any more.