Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

trying to repair several issues on an 05

Old 07-19-2018, 11:44 AM
hotairgypsy
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
trying to repair several issues on an 05

i bought a 2005 MC non SC convertible a couple of weeks ago with issues. got it cheap enough knowing i had to fix some things. The top was not working but I bought a parts convertible and got to fixing the top...now all that is working great and I am off to the other issues i have discovered. The individual i bought it from told me the FOB didnt work so i did the typical assumption and assumed the battery in the remote was defective. I ordered and new one and soldered it in and I still could not get it to operate. I then assumed the remote receiver in the mirror had an issue so i got the mirror out of the parts car and swapped the receiver boards. The one i took out had visible damage...I think it got wet and shorted out so I know it had an issue. well the new board did not fix my issue it seems. I have other FOBs I could use to program to the car but non of them are programming so I assume I still have an issue. I have other known issues and I keep wondering in my head if they are all tied together in some way. so let me list all known issues and we can go from there

1. cannot get FOB to program to operate the doors and trunk
2. steering wheel controls for the stereo do not operate the stereo. the CC on the other side working fine.
3. Passenger air bag light up top on no matter if i have a passenger or not..i have read the sensor in the pass seat can have an effect on this.
4. airbag light in big round cluster is lit up
5. tpms is lit up but seller told me wheels do not have tpms sensors installed. he bought new wheels and tires and did not install tpms sensors so obviously the light will be on.
6. when i hook up my code scanner to the car there are no check engine lights on but the scanner is picking up a code.The fault code is P1661 which it seems has to do with the immobilizer. The car starts and operates fine with the one key i have for it. I do have a full set of lock cylinders and the immobilizer module from the parts car but no DME if that helps
7. I know if i put the key in the door and hold it in the unlock position or lock position nothing happens so i don't know if the features are turned on for the windows all to go up or the top to drop...I have read the driver door lock actuator can have an effect on this but I don't know how it could ...

any insight to help me fix any and all of this issues would be greatly appreciated. Loving this car but just trying to make it happier

Old 07-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Does the car have an alarm? I don't know where that's located in the convertible so my guess is it's also in the rear similar to the hardtops.

There's a harness in the rear view mirror that a plug goes to. Is that plugged in? If that's not connected, the FOB won't lock/unlock the doors. This also may help with your #3 too.

Steering wheel controls, is the radio factory or aftermarket? Need info.

There is only a primitive TPMS system in this car. No sensors in the rims. There's a button near the e-brake to reset the TPMS. Follow these instructions:

1. Locate the reset button positioned in front cabin on the emergency brake handle.
  2. Turn the ignition to position 2, press and hold the reset button until the yellow indicator on the dash lights up for a few seconds.

Originally Posted by hotairgypsy
i bought a 2005 MC non SC convertible a couple of weeks ago with issues. got it cheap enough knowing i had to fix some things. The top was not working but I bought a parts convertible and got to fixing the top...now all that is working great and I am off to the other issues i have discovered. The individual i bought it from told me the FOB didnt work so i did the typical assumption and assumed the battery in the remote was defective. I ordered and new one and soldered it in and I still could not get it to operate. I then assumed the remote receiver in the mirror had an issue so i got the mirror out of the parts car and swapped the receiver boards. The one i took out had visible damage...I think it got wet and shorted out so I know it had an issue. well the new board did not fix my issue it seems. I have other FOBs I could use to program to the car but non of them are programming so I assume I still have an issue. I have other known issues and I keep wondering in my head if they are all tied together in some way. so let me list all known issues and we can go from there

1. cannot get FOB to program to operate the doors and trunk
2. steering wheel controls for the stereo do not operate the stereo. the CC on the other side working fine.
3. Passenger air bag light up top on no matter if i have a passenger or not..i have read the sensor in the pass seat can have an effect on this.
4. airbag light in big round cluster is lit up
5. tpms is lit up but seller told me wheels do not have tpms sensors installed. he bought new wheels and tires and did not install tpms sensors so obviously the light will be on.
6. when i hook up my code scanner to the car there are no check engine lights on but the scanner is picking up a code.The fault code is P1661 which it seems has to do with the immobilizer. The car starts and operates fine with the one key i have for it. I do have a full set of lock cylinders and the immobilizer module from the parts car but no DME if that helps
7. I know if i put the key in the door and hold it in the unlock position or lock position nothing happens so i don't know if the features are turned on for the windows all to go up or the top to drop...I have read the driver door lock actuator can have an effect on this but I don't know how it could ...

any insight to help me fix any and all of this issues would be greatly appreciated. Loving this car but just trying to make it happier

Old 07-19-2018, 04:29 PM
hotairgypsy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Zsm
Does the car have an alarm? I don't know where that's located in the convertible so my guess is it's also in the rear similar to the hardtops.

There's a harness in the rear view mirror that a plug goes to. Is that plugged in? If that's not connected, the FOB won't lock/unlock the doors. This also may help with your #3 too.

Steering wheel controls, is the radio factory or aftermarket? Need info.

There is only a primitive TPMS system in this car. No sensors in the rims. There's a button near the e-brake to reset the TPMS. Follow these instructions:
  1. Locate the reset button positioned in front cabin on the emergency brake handle.
  2. Turn the ignition to position 2, press and hold the reset button until the yellow indicator on the dash lights up for a few seconds.
i am not aware of any alarm in the car...i did use to do alarm installations professionally in a past life so i am leaning towards no...i will need to confirm at one point though

when i took the mirror apart and replaced the board i did reconnect the harness...i know it is all connected

factory stereo is in the car

as for primitive TPMS educate me on this...I would assume each tire has a sensor...but tell me how all this works..

Old 07-19-2018, 04:40 PM
Zsm
4th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Old 07-19-2018, 04:41 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
1. Did you try this to register your remotes with the reciever?

3. The passenger occupancy sensor might br causing your airbag light. Check to see if your car is part of the recall for replacing the sensor in the lower seat cushion.

4. Might be related to 3.

5. Set all of your tire pressures, then reset the system. The system uses the wheel speed sensors for traction control and ABS. When reset the system assumes all of the tires are properly inflated at the same pressure and the tire sizes are the same. If any of the tires get low, the rolling radius will be smaller and that tire will rotate more than the others and set off the light.

As posted above it's a primitive system and the owner's manual states that if all of the tires lose pressure at the same rate it won't set off the warning.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:12 PM
hotairgypsy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
1. Did you try this to register your remotes with the reciever?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8DfDqqzKwk

3. The passenger occupancy sensor might br causing your airbag light. Check to see if your car is part of the recall for replacing the sensor in the lower seat cushion.

4. Might be related to 3.

5. Set all of your tire pressures, then reset the system. The system uses the wheel speed sensors for traction control and ABS. When reset the system assumes all of the tires are properly inflated at the same pressure and the tire sizes are the same. If any of the tires get low, the rolling radius will be smaller and that tire will rotate more than the others and set off the light.

As posted above it's a primitive system and the owner's manual states that if all of the tires lose pressure at the same rate it won't set off the warning.
1. I had done those steps after i had replaced the board in the mirror and it didnt work. I just tried it exactly like the video showed and it did not work so still a no go.

3. I just looked up my vin and it shows that recall so i just setup the appt for tomorrow so hopefully by tomorrow night all that is solved...great info ..thanks for that

5. Thank you for the insight on the TPMS If i had known that it works that way I would have been searching big time on it. I will work on getting the TPMS programmed and see if the system is working properly. Thanks again for the info on this system..

Last edited by hotairgypsy; 07-19-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:15 PM
hotairgypsy
2nd Gear
update:
1 airbag lights all fixed. The car was under the recall and mini fixed it all this afternoon so no issues there

2. TPMS programmed as per the instructions listed above.

nice to have them fixed and set...now back to the other things i am sorting thru..