Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2006 Mini Cooper S 6 speed Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 07:08 AM
jspriggs
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mini Cooper S 6 speed Transmission issue

I have an 06 Mini, has about 107k miles, I bought it last month used. Very fun little car to drive. A couple of days ago it got harder to get the stick into gear. I drove it about 30 miles Monday and when I left my house it was feeling fine, by the end of the drive it was nearly impossible to get into gear. Same problem on the way home, I'd have to turn off the car at times put it into first and turn it back on to just get the car into gear. From there I could shift up, but it was rough and a lot of resistance.

I dropped it off at my local mechanic, he says the whole clutch needs replaced, about $1650 for parts and labor. I read up a bit more about mini and transmission issues though, and here are a few questions I'd like to find answers to prior to talking to my mechanic again.

1) Could this just be an issue with the Master and Slave cylinders in the clutch? I understand those wouldn't probably be covered under an extended warranty I purchased on the car when I bought it, but still cheaper than a new clutch altogether.

2) Would replacing the clutch altogether mean they are also replacing those master and slave cylinders?

3) Could I have ruined the clutch driving it back home those 30 miles when it was so difficult to get the car into gear in the first place?

4) Are there any big clues that would stand out to say the issue was a cylinder vs the clutch? They seem like a reputable shop, but I just like to double check before committing to a huge repair.

Thanks to anyone able to help me out with this, I really appreciate the advice before I have to see about a minor loan to deal with a clutch repair bill.

Old 04-07-2018, 02:05 PM
disgruntledcow
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The clutch on these cars is a common failure, my pressure plate actually split into 3 pieces, I was unable to get it in to gear at all. If you replace the clutch, I suggest you get the entire flywheel and clutch combo, the better single mass flywheel conversion.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-valeo-pa.../52151203~val/

If your transmission is out of the car, and your car is not equipped with a LSD, I highly suggest you get one for your car, it makes a dramatic difference in handling and grip. I personally have a wavetrac in my car. Worth every penny.

It would be good to replace the slave cylinder, though they are notoriously difficult to bleed, its a vehicle specific bleed procedure.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:25 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
1) Could this just be an issue with the Master and Slave cylinders in the clutch? I understand those wouldn't probably be covered under an extended warranty I purchased on the car when I bought it, but still cheaper than a new clutch altogether.
It is possible that either the master or slave cylinder fail you can have this symptom. So too if the clutch failed inside the bell housing. A competent home or shop mechanic can isolate this.

2) Would replacing the clutch altogether mean they are also replacing those master and slave cylinders?
Likely not since your mechanical didn't specifically mention they need replacing. A good shop will itemize and tell you if they replace the master or slave cylinder. Master is above the foot well, and the slave is outside the clutch housing.

3) Could I have ruined the clutch driving it back home those 30 miles when it was so difficult to get the car into gear in the first place?
The concern with your symptoms is damaging the gearbox but not the clutch driving home. To force into 1st gear with a failed clutch is hard for the syncromesh inside. They are quite tough so your few shifts should not cause permanent damage.

4) Are there any big clues that would stand out to say the issue was a cylinder vs the clutch? They seem like a reputable shop, but I just like to double check before committing to a huge repair.
If you know how to look, with a helper you can see if the clutch lever arm moves (adequately) when the clutch pedal is exercise.

Lastly, assuming his cost of the clutch/flywheel kit is ~$300. The labor should not be more than $1000.

Mini's clutch is not more prone to fail than the most reliable clutches.