Battery Swap Now Windows and Turn Signals Do Not Work - North American Motoring

Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Battery Swap Now Windows and Turn Signals Do Not Work

Old 02-13-2018, 02:36 PM
Neutral

Battery Swap Now Windows and Turn Signals Do Not Work

As the title says, windows and turn signals do not work. I did not have a battery tender for the swap. I do not have an IBS (battery sensor) so I figured I could reset. The fuses for the windows are okay, I even checked them with a meter. Tried disconnecting the ground wire for two hours. Still no change. Any thoughts? I would like to avoid the dealer if possible. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:29 PM
1st Gear

Any chance your interior lighting also isn't working?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 PM
Neutral

Did not notice in the daytime but the interior lights are not working.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

Ah, sounds like your Footwell Module has died. It's a fairly common issue. Mini did extend the warranty on affected modules to 125k miles so I'd recommend calling up your nearest dealer and seeing if you're covered. I've been holding off doing any coding on mine as it looks like it has an issue with the boot sector as well.

Basically the issue is that on the eeprom chip on the board there's a boot sector that fails, which is the first part that's read when the unit is powered on. The rest of the chip seems to be fine, so as long as it's left on no worries. But if you completely power cycle, reset for coding, disconnect the battery or if the battery goes dead it fails to boot due to the bad sector.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

Same thing happened to my 2011 mini, "footwell module" went bad. Replaced under extended warranty.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:35 PM
Vendor

We see footwell modules die all the time when disconnecting the battery.

Call your local dealer and give them your vin as there has been an extended warranty on them just for this reason so maybe you'll get lucky.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:59 AM
Neutral

Results of Dealer Visit

The dealer replaced the footwell module under warrenty, BUT I was told that because I did not buy a BMW battery, if the footwell module goes again BMW will not cover the module under warranty. A new module costs $735 (Can). These cars are sensitive. Thanks for the help.