Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

New key but car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 04:14 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New key but car wont start

Ive been reading up and Im thinking either my start stop switch isnt working or for some reason the new key i received today isnt right.

Back drop to the story

I bought a repo'd car from an auction with no key, I ordered the key and received it today but the car wont start. I bought a new battery, the radio comes on and the horn works also when i press the trip button the mileage pops up aside from that nada.

I checked the fuses none are blown. I fiddled around for a couple hours then called it quits removed the key and went in my house to do some research maybe 20 minutes later the horn came on and wouldnt stop one long beep. So i unplugged the battery and eventually found the horn fuse and removed it. The car still doesnt work.

I was reading about people testing the start stop switch but dont see any instructions as to how. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2014 Mini Cooper S convertible.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
First, most important question: From where did you acquire said key?
I'll not wait for an answer. If you got it from anywhere but a dealership, it won't work. You HAVE to get a key from a dealership because the key has to be coded to your VIN. To acquire a key from the dealership, they require the VIN, a copy of your DL and registration. After you get the key, there should be instructions for a process you have to follow to initialize the key.

Last edited by Fly'n Brick; 01-11-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:21 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Ordered from Mini Road side assistance, picked up at local dealership

Old 01-11-2018, 04:30 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
OK then. It may need to be initialized. Not sure about that process for a Gen 2. You might call the dealership and ask.
Oh, and welcome to the wonderful world of MINI topless motoring, the best kind of motoring.

Old 01-11-2018, 04:45 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
They told me to stick the key in car and press start.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:11 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
I'll bow out, this just went past me. My co-pilot has a '15 CM justa and I leave it completely alone.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:56 PM
AnOldBiker
4th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 145 Likes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

This I gotta here .. did it work ?

Old 01-11-2018, 06:08 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Funny Ive been a member for 7 years and thought i posted many years ago but the post counter is saying otherwise.

The car never started, ughhhh

and thx for the welcome

Old 01-12-2018, 06:01 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts
To continue the conversation here, the dealer must've charged you for the key, right? Give them a call and tell them that you bought the keyfob from them and you need it paired to the car and how much that would cost.

Andy will ask you send him the DME/ECU (this is the easiest) AND/OR the CAS (The hardest to get since it's under the dash and you have to unbolt a lot to get to it) then ask how much he will charge and see how is cheaper

Old 01-12-2018, 08:33 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Andy will ask you send him the DME/ECU (this is the easiest) AND/OR the CAS (The hardest to get since it's under the dash and you have to unbolt a lot to get to it) then ask how much he will charge and see how is cheaper
Who's Andy? Why would you blindly take the car apart and send off parts without knowing what the problem is? It could very well be some other issue. I would have the car towed to the dealer or a trustworthy shop.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 AM
iwashmycar
6th Gear
Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts
Weird. I had MINI send out a key for our '13 R60. Popped it in the slot, hit the start button and that's it....programmed.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:20 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Thats what the dealership told me should happen. Im now checking to see if the battery safety terminal is out. I tested the current from battery to the engine fuse box and everything seems normal but not sure if thats all I need to do. Car was hit lightly on side so dunno if the bst was activated.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:12 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
When I would open the door the door chime never went off but now its going off intermittently somewhere there may be a short of some kind.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:15 AM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Can someone point me in the direction of the junction box on a 2014 mini s conv

Old 01-13-2018, 11:31 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 427 Likes on 393 Posts

Passenger kick panel.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:04 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
I didnt realize the fuse box was the junction box. For some reason power is going in but maybe not coming out of it or the issue is with the CAS

Old 01-14-2018, 12:01 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kromerok
I didnt realize the fuse box was the junction box. For some reason power is going in but maybe not coming out of it or the issue is with the CAS
Depends on what you mean by "junction box". There is also a fuse box in the engine compartment.

Here's a functional description of the CAS: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...ctions/XdQEYVa
That website has wiring diagrams for the car if you want to try troubleshooting yourself.

Here are some threads you might want to look at:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-any-help.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-not-work.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-t-start.html
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...start-car.html

Old 01-14-2018, 12:54 AM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Sounds like most of my issues are stemming from the CAS. Steering wheel wont lock, windows wont move, car wont start. I wonder if water somehow got in it from the recent rains. '
Thx

Old 01-14-2018, 02:43 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Ok, I finally got my dashpad off and the CAS exposed. Im wondering if my car wont let the key go to the on position is there any way i can test the CAS and FRM to see if they are working?

Old 01-14-2018, 06:20 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by kromerok
Sounds like most of my issues are stemming from the CAS. Steering wheel wont lock, windows wont move, car wont start. I wonder if water somehow got in it from the recent rains.
The windows have nothing to do with the CAS. That would be a footwell module issue. The footwell module is on the drivers side and could cause problems if it gets wet. Does the car have a sunroof?

Old 01-14-2018, 07:19 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
You could have received a bad key fob which rarely happens. You could have a bad cas. You could have a car that had the cas and door locks changed and BMW doesn’t have a record for your vin. Did you supply the dealer your license and title or registration before ordering the key? I would contact the MINI dealer where you picked up the key and ask about a diagnosis appointment to have this resolved. If it’s found to be a bad key fob it will be replaced under warranty. The key fobs are programmed by BMW to your vin and requires starting the car for final initializing so the remote works to unlock the doors.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Its a convertible, the windows were down and the rains from about a week ago in LA killed it

Originally Posted by rkw
The windows have nothing to do with the CAS. That would be a footwell module issue. The footwell module is on the drivers side and could cause problems if it gets wet. Does the car have a sunroof?

Old 01-14-2018, 08:06 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
I ordered the key from Mini roadside assistance and yes i had to do the registration and id. Ive somewhat gutted the car today so it might be hard to get it into the dealership for a diagnostic appt. Unless i can take out the modules and have them test them directly. Most everythings exposed now.

Originally Posted by sgscomps
You could have received a bad key fob which rarely happens. You could have a bad cas. You could have a car that had the cas and door locks changed and BMW doesn’t have a record for your vin. Did you supply the dealer your license and title or registration before ordering the key? I would contact the MINI dealer where you picked up the key and ask about a diagnosis appointment to have this resolved. If it’s found to be a bad key fob it will be replaced under warranty. The key fobs are programmed by BMW to your vin and requires starting the car for final initializing so the remote works to unlock the doors.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:23 PM
sgscomps
4th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
The modules have to be installed in the car as testing is done through your obd port. If it was that wet you could have modules under the seats that are ruined and require replacing. They will probably have to pull your seats out to dry out the carpet too. There are drain plugs in the floor to get the excess water out

Old 01-15-2018, 06:47 PM
kromerok
2nd Gear
Ill be pulling out the seats this week, what modules are under the seats?

Quick Reply: New key but car wont start