Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical No response to inserting the key in the dash => start button does not work

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:18 PM
liv_loud
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No response to inserting the key in the dash => start button does not work

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper S, manual transmission, that does not recognize the key when I insert it into the dash. Nothing on the dash lights up and there are no noises.

The start button lights up (when I open the door?) but does not respond when I press it. I can not start the car. It does nothing. It doesn't turn over and I can't hear any "click" from the starter motor/solenoid.

The windows moved down when I opened the door and now do not go back up after closing it. That stopped working after pulling and replacing each fuse one at a time.

The radio still plays
I can't operate the windows.

Both keys can still lock & unlock the doors. I did so with the key fob and the physical key, just in case that would trigger something.

So far I have
-tried both keys in the dash
-Checked all fuses and relays inside the car and under the hood
-removed charged and reinstalled the battery

Both the clutch and brake position sensor connectors are in place, but I don't know how to test them

I thought the Key holder was broken. I took it out of the dash and wanted to bring it to the dealer to see if they could test it. I was told there's no intelligence in the key holder, that it connects to the ECU, so there's nothing to test. He mentioned that it could be the driveway (drive away?) protection system (DWS), some call it an engine immobilizer? I already paid $150 to tow it to my house, I don't want to pay to tow it again. If it turns out to be the DWS, is that something only the MINI dealer can do?

What would cause/prevent the key holder from recognizing the key insertion?

If it is the engine immobilizer, do my symptoms match?

The following users liked this post:
Ste (04-17-2024)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds like the immoilizer kicked in and locked your MINI up so it won't run. Have you tried to push start it since you have a manual? If this does not work, the car will need to be towed to a BMW/MINI dealer so that the immobilizer can be recalibrated using a BMW scanner. There is no other way for you to reset this at home. This is intentional given the important safety / security role of the immobilizer. IMO you have no other options. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
avuton
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Braminator
Have you tried to push start it since you have a manual?
Could be wrong here, but I don't think that would ever work, as the start button is not only about starting, but also about electronic ignition. I would love to hear that I'm wrong though.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Stranger things have happened with MINI's LOL

Old 03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
liv_loud
Neutral
Last week I successfully push started the car. When I did that, the car was "on" when I popped the clutch. I did not press the button again. I wasn't sure if it would work either but it fired up and kept running. Be careful using high amp phone chargers and playing the radio.

I tried push starting it after this incident and it did nothing. Maybe b/c I couldn't turn the car on. The engine turned over but it did not fire.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Kirby11
5th Gear
Does your car still have its original battery? If it's from 2007 you'd be due for a new one and MINIs do all sorts of goofy things when the battery is on its last gasps. I see that you charged the battery but could you tell if it was holding the charge?

Hopefully there's an easy fix for you. Good luck!

Last edited by Kirby11; 03-12-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 PM
liv_loud
Neutral
I'm impressed the OEM battery has lasted this long. I'm guessing it's on it's way out. It charged to full capacity in an hour, maybe 1.5hrs on a 10amp charger. I didn't let it sit before installing it in the car again. I'd have to connect it to the charger again to tell. Unless there's another way. It's almost a block from my house as that's where there was space for the tow truck. It's heavy to carry the battery that far.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
liv_loud
Neutral
I gave in and had it towed to the dealer. Where of course the service rep drove it into the bay. I've tried both keys for multiple days and somehow he started it up on the first try. Go figure.

To close this "mystery to me", Kirby11 had it right. The service rep said it was a bad battery, that the electronic systems won't start up unless a minimum voltage is present. I'm still baffled by this considering I charged my battery to full charge, and the morning I started it before this happened, it was quick to start, with no indication of the battery being dead.

I could have saved a 2nd tow and bought a much more reasonably priced battery had I just tried replacing the battery first.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
So that you now have it back, and changed the battery, is everything back to normal?

Old 03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
liv_loud
Neutral
I won't get the car back till Monday, but I'll post the results and the included services they completed under the mini maintenance warranty. I bought the car used and I have to admit, their 100k maintenance warranty (that a previous owner bought) is pretty sweet.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
So have they said the battery so far solved your problems?

Old 01-04-2020, 03:25 PM
Harrysinghcheema
Neutral
Hi liv loud what was the problem coz I m facing the same problem i have 2008 mini cooper clubman diesal.
can you help i had Rac he connected battery booster and checked all fuses but nothing has happened not started the car.can you tell me what they told you at mini cooper or bmw guys what was the problem.thank you

The following users liked this post:
Tobi Cooper (04-02-2020)
Old 04-02-2020, 03:52 AM
Tobi Cooper
Same problem

Originally Posted by Harrysinghcheema
Hi liv loud what was the problem coz I m facing the same problem i have 2008 mini cooper clubman diesal.
can you help i had Rac he connected battery booster and checked all fuses but nothing has happened not started the car.can you tell me what they told you at mini cooper or bmw guys what was the problem.thank you
I had the same problem amusingly yesterday! Started fine the other day. Obviously given the lockdown atm its tricky to get it fixed! Please let me know if you find anything out!

I tried disconnecting the battery just now and i reconnected it, i heard the car do its usual fuel pump checks, then tried the fob again and the car still wouldnt respond!

im guessing the only thing your seeing also is maybe a steering wheel lock failure indicator and nothing else?

Interior lock, inicators and interior lights still work, but nothing else!

Ah pain in the ****!!!!

Old 04-02-2020, 03:55 AM
Tobi Cooper
same happened to me yesterday! Lemme know if you find anything, bit locked down atm lol

Old 04-02-2020, 10:38 AM
MrGrumpy
6th Gear
Received 241 Likes on 207 Posts
Have you tried multiple key fobs? I only had one at the time I had pretty much the same symptoms. The immobilizer chip in the fob quit working. Mine wasn’t the car battery, I knew because it was almost brand new at the time. I had to order a new fob for $350. Worked ever since.
Check your battery. The dealership can test the fob by trying to read it at the service desk...it would not recognize mine when it went out.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:28 PM
Taminator
Neutral
Same Problem-ish?

I fear that I may have the wrong thread, but just in case....
I have a 2006 R53 S series and I'm having a similar issue. I've tried to unlock with both fobs - nothing. used the key the old school way - in the lock - (my neighbors son thinks this is the neatest trick ever)
Tried both keys in the ignition - nothing. No click, no lights, nothing. It was a freebie from my older brother a few years ago. He said he's not had any issue, can't recall if he's ever changed the battery, though I would imagine so and will have a look to make sure. I've never had a problem or indication of a possible battery issue until today.

Also, the pushing part I can do, but I'm ignorant about how to start it with this paddle system. I'm an old school stick shift gal
I'm borrowing a charger from a friend, so hopefully that will at least get me to the shop for a new battery.
Thoughts?

Old 04-17-2024, 02:32 AM
Ste
Neutral
No ignition lights. 2007 mini 1.

Battery full.
no ignition lights.
Steering lock is on.
Lights. Indicators. Radio all working. Key working to open and lock.

Just nothing at all when I try to start it 🤔🤔🤔