Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Ryephix2 Bypass Valve Spring Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Feeler: Ryephix2 Bypass Valve Spring Upgrade

As many of you are aware, some MCSs exhibit the yo-yo, a rythmic pulsation during acceleration between about 3,000 to 4,000 rpms. Ryan Malcolm (Ryephile) has been key in diagnosing this symptom for MINI and has determined that the problem is in sensor/controller software that is outside of the ECU mapping software domain. Thus, the yo-yo's cause can only be corrected by methods other than ECU mapping upgrades.

MINI have tried to "mask" the effect of the yo-yo with the v.38-v.39 software, and have had some success in lessening its intensity. However, Ryan has experimented with mechanical (i.e.; more effective) approaches to "masking" the yo-yo by two methods:
  1. Ryephix1 - Zip-tie the bypass valve closed. This produces acceptable masking results but will affect mpg somewhat. Anyone can do this phix and it is detailed in "The Yo-Yo Chronicles".
  2. Ryephix2 - A stiffer bypass valve diaphram return spring is installed to smooth out the oscillations. This produces acceptable results and should have a neglible effect on mpg. This is a more difficult phix and requires the fabrication of an new spring from larger diameter stock. Installation involves removing and disassembling the supercharger bypass valve to replace the spring.
Ryan has entertained the idea of offering a Ryephix2 Upgrade product. He is trying to find out how many "DIY" folks might be interested in the product before any futher effort is put into its creation. Initially, thoughs are that two versions of the upgrade would be offered as detailed below.

Please Note: This installation of this potential product is not sanctioned by MINI. You should be aware of any warranty implications that may arise from the installation/use of this product. I am sure we will be reminded of this in a post to this thread by MINI in the not too distant future!

Here is the latest list of those who have expressed an interest in the Ryephix2 Bypass Valve Spring Upgrade. Again, this upgrade is meant to more effectively mask the effects of the yo-yo problem found in some MCSs.

If you are considering this upgrade, please indicate your interest in one of the two potential Ryephix2 Upgrade packages:

1. the Upgrade Kit (you get a stiffer spring and instructions for a DIY installation -- requires mechanical aptitude).

2. the Upgrade Exchange (you send in your bypass valve and receive one with the stiffer spring installed -- also requires mechanical aptitude). Ryan -- we'll probably need some instructions for removal and installation.

Please note that we are trying to gauge interest in these products for Ryan. At this early stage, no product committments can be made. Obviously, I'm volunteering to maintain the list of interested parties.

Please let me know if you are interested, preferably via a PM. Periodically, I'll update the list via an edit to this first post.

UPGRADE KIT
  1. Theo
  2. bodinski
  3. ZAMIRZ
  4. CoryB
  5. Tuls
  6. dkblakey
  7. RadRodriguez
  8. BrianGoldbloom
  9. LeeL
  10. mtrspt5
  11. apexer
  12. wsmd
  13. ScottGBRG
  14. fuzzyface
  15. dominicminicoopers
  16. Greatbear
  17. Mike87
  18. Morefun
  19. Wesport
  20. BluMiniMe
  21. sanddan
  22. BigBrownDog
  23. ChiliBit
  24. drdave
  25. orthomini
  26. norm03s
  27. AlexN
  28. PMC
UPGRADE EXCHANGE
  1. TomAiello (preferred; Upgrade Kit if Exchange not available)
Regards,

Theo

Last edited by Koopah; 11-17-2004 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Added to list
Old 10-27-2004, 01:00 PM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Ryan agrees, I'm in!

Old 10-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Woah - I'm flattered

Before I make any promises, let me get the materials and make some springs first. We'll go from there.

Just so you know, very good dexerity and mechanical ability is needed to exchange the spring in the bypass valve. If you're up to it, it's highly worth it!

Old 10-27-2004, 07:11 PM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Is this also a place to voice questions and concerns? If so, I have a couple questions. Besides more effectively masking the yo-yo problem, what other effect on the car does this have (such as MPG...)? What level of apptitude would you say is required?

I am interested, but not sure if I have the appropriate skills needed.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:42 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
If you are hesitant in doing the conversion yourself - you may want to opt for an Upgrade Exchange.

MPG impact is approximately 9% reduction with the Ryephix #2 with the 1st gen spring. I plan on doing some slight tweaks to make the economy drop less. Compared to about a 22% MPG drop with the zip-tie.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:56 AM
Veni_Vidi_Vici
5th Gear
Could you (without commiting yourself, of course) give a general idea of how much the kit would cost and how many hours a competant mechanic would need to install the kit?

Thanks

Old 10-28-2004, 05:28 AM
Pebblecrusher
4th Gear
Thanks Ryphile. One last question. Would you suggest the M7 "device" not be used in conjunction with your fix?

Old 10-28-2004, 12:14 PM
discodan
5th Gear
what are the odds a dealer will recognize this mod when i go in for service if i choose to do this phix? how hard is it to notice, from a dealer standpoint?

Old 10-28-2004, 12:32 PM
ZAMIRZ
5th Gear
discodan, nearly impossible.

Ryan, I'm most likely going to opt for the kit. If you could just give a brief rundown of the major parts that need to come off the motor to be able to pull the bypass valve out, I'd appreciate it.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Instructions:
1) pull the intercooler
2) pull the airbox to throttle body tube, leave the PCV hose on and stretch it back behind the airbox (really, it'll work)
3) loosen the intercooler exit bullhorn
4) loosen the clamp for the bypass valve to the supercharger inlet tube
5) remove I/C exit bullhorn. muscles required
6) unbolt bypass valve from bullhorn
7) using 6 flathead screwdrivers simultaneously, pop the cap of the bypass valve return spring housing, being careful not to break anything!
8) exchange return spring with new, stiffer spring
9) pop the cap back on
10) installation is reverse of removal (sounds like the Service Manual, eh?!)

Re: M7 "device". I still don't know what it's supposed to be, or do. Therefore I can't give you a good answer.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:59 AM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Instructions:
<snip>
7) using 6 flathead screwdrivers simultaneously, pop the cap of the bypass valve return spring housing, being careful not to break anything!
This is the only part I see as a potential problem. Let's see, 2 hands, 2 feet, 1 mouth...hmmm, gonna have to find a creative way to hold that last screwdriver.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:33 AM
Koopah
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Butterfly Valve Adjustment

Ryan,

As was mentioned in "The Yo-Yo Chronicles", when you removed your SC bypass valve, you noticed that it required some adjustment as installed by the factory. With the butterfly in the "closed" position (SC boost), it did not quite shut all the way; this let some air in even in the "closed" position. Adjustment via a set screw (I believe) to fully closed was a easy task with the bypass valve removed.

So, my question is whether the Upgrade Exchange will include not only the new diaphram spring, but will also ensure that the butterfly valve has been accurately adjusted to the closed position? Also, for those who opt for the Upgrade Kit, will instructions be provided to adjust the butterfly valve or is this self-evident?

Thanks,

Theo

Old 10-29-2004, 06:59 PM
DDTUNG
2nd Gear
There's an after market unit available from Gennex in Taiwan. From the description on their website it is made of aluminium alloy and is adjustable to suit cars with various pulley reductions.

http://www.gennexmotorsport.com/main.php?car=1&id=179

DDTUNG

Old 10-30-2004, 01:00 PM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Unfortunately I don't have the proper character set installed to view the Gennex site. Even if I did, I couldn't read it.

So how much are these adjustable bypass valves? I saw $8800 but somehow that seems a bit much...

Old 10-30-2004, 03:12 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
that was Taiwan Dollar
hope this could help

SymbolTaiwan DollarExchange
Rate
U.S. DollarBidAskTWDUSD=X8800Oct 290.02991263.197230.029910.02991

Old 10-30-2004, 05:36 PM
CoryB
3rd Gear
Thanks for the link. I was hoping that wasn't the real price.

$263.20 ???

A bit rich for me, considering a MINI replacement online is around $49 or so.

Originally Posted by chrisfb1
that was Taiwan Dollar
hope this could help

SymbolTaiwan DollarExchange
RateU.S. DollarBidAskTWDUSD=X8800Oct 290.02991263.197230.029910.02991

Old 10-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Yea, the stock OEM part from Classic MINI is about $50 plus shipping.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:23 AM
4GAZM
5th Gear
well i know this has nothing to do with what is being covered her but as some of the people here know, my car did not have the yo yo, then after 50,000 miles then it suddenly got it, then magically after 70,000 miles the yo yo is nothing but the past she runs smoother now than ever, it very strange so thats why i really dont understand it, and makes me think its still software related since my recent runin with the yoyo on my car particularly

also note the onley time i got the yo yo and cold start problems was after i got a computer upgrade, mines a first gen 02 and never had an issue, then after the upgrades all hell broke loose now it seems to be back to normal yay!!!

Old 10-31-2004, 05:23 PM
SpiderX
6th Gear
If you are hesitant in doing the conversion yourself - you may want to opt for an Upgrade Exchange.

MPG impact is approximately 9% reduction with the Ryephix #2 with the 1st gen spring. I plan on doing some slight tweaks to make the economy drop less. Compared to about a 22% MPG drop with the zip-tie.
A friend of mine told me about the "tie wrap" and did it to my car today. I definately smoothed out the engine. 22% is a lot of mpg difference. It also seems that the engine does not wind up as fast,.......could that be true?

Old 10-31-2004, 06:34 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
not wind up as quick - not likely, as now you generate boost and thus power quicker. Then again I can't say if your adaptic logic is being fussy either (typical, narf)

So I stopped at my spring source today - they only had stock enough for 4 springs. So the question is; who wants the ryephix2 the most? I need to ask for a few bucks to cover materials and my time and shipping though.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:17 PM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
spring Kit

DIY here, count me in!
Is the 9% mileage loss for real? hope that get's addressed before the kit's made available.
Of course I want my cake and eat it too.

Old 10-31-2004, 09:19 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
yes ~9% drop - the cake must be decided upon This is the nature of the 'phix, which I would tend to call a more performance-oriented item rather than a drivability correction, due to the ability to make boost quicker.

Old 11-01-2004, 05:38 AM
BluMiniMe
4th Gear
So I stopped at my spring source today - they only had stock enough for 4 springs. So the question is; who wants the ryephix2 the most? I need to ask for a few bucks to cover materials and my time and shipping though.
I for one don't have a problem paying for this... but I'd bet all of us on the list feel the same way. If Ryan is amenable to doing a 2nd production run, I'd volunteer to wait for it... if not, I'd like to be one of the lucky 4.... and may I suggest a lottery for the 4?
Ciao Miniacs!

Old 11-01-2004, 06:45 AM
LeeL
5th Gear
I'm willing to pay for a spring (though it will be a few weeks before I have time to do the install), and I have no problem taking things off the car. (With some help from a few other MINI owners, I did my pulley myself.) but the needing 6 screwdriers thing is a little worrisome. Is it not something where you can get one wedged in and work your way around?

Old 11-01-2004, 07:20 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
well, the 6 screwdrivers was kind-of a joke, but not really. I usually end up using two little flatheads, lots of cursing, and some bruised fingernails. It's not impossible, just tough.

only 3, maybe 2 springs left - PM me if you're serious!
Ryan

Quick Reply: Ryephix2 Bypass Valve Spring Upgrade