Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Upper Motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Upper Motor mount

So what is the real difference between the TSW and the Vibra-Technics upper motor mount. From all the images they look to be very similar in design on the outside. Price is also somewhat different. Any one know the differences? My upper mount died is spectacular fashion the other day - splatter marks all over the place... the last 3 OEM's just oozed.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:39 PM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Do you have a post 05? And you went thru 3 OEM in the span of how many miles?

I am under the impression post 05 Vibratechnics has fluid inside, and TSW not.

Old 11-09-2017, 04:52 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 489 Likes on 408 Posts
I don't think any of the VT mounts are fluid filled and the newly designed TSW mount is a recent release which looks like a clone of the VT mount. I went with the VT since the TSW wasn't out yet, and would still go with the VT over the TSW now. It's the original with great reviews, plus it's slightly cheaper than the TSW.

As far as the OEM mount, it seems to be hit and miss with how long they last. Mine started leaking at 17K, but age might have had something to do with it since the car was almost 8 years old at the time.

edit: I just saw your qusetion in the driving light thread... what prices are you seeing for the motor mounts? I see $275 for the VT and $299 for the TSW.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:52 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
So, we don't know the difference. Which is fine, I was just hoping someone would know - I'm looking at you vendors.

I will be going with the cheaper one as they very well may be very much the same things or nearly the same things.

I went to the VT web site, and on the 9th it was showing just under $250 (race) with the exchange rate. Today, its showing $322 (road) and $339 (race).

141K on the clock of a 3/2004 build Justa.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:08 PM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
So, we don't know the difference. Which is fine, I was just hoping someone would know - I'm looking at you vendors.
A quick search on Google discloses that the only vendor that stocks both of the mounts you're inferring about is not affiliated with this site, hence the lack of vendor comparison (from supporting vendors) between the two products that interest you...

Way Motor Works is affiliated with, and I believe to be the producer of the TSW mounts, so I'm sure he'd be biased towards it over the Vibra Technics.

If you can't find the vendor that has both, and who can probably give you a more unbiased opinion, PM me and I'll fill you in.

I'll venture a guess that they're both much stiffer than the stock mount, and will transfer much more in the way of vibrations through the chassis.

And you've had three other OEM mounts fail? Yikes!
How many miles on your MINI?

Old 11-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
yes this is the 3rd to fail. 141K.
So, I did a web search and went to the Vibra website with the .co.uk at the end and shipped it was $270.66 for the race version.

Trying to make my car as undriveable as a daily driver part by part...

Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM
pnwR53S
6th Gear - NAM Hall of Fame
Received 389 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Thought of a good one
yes this is the 3rd to fail. 141K.
So, I did a web search and went to the Vibra website with the .co.uk at the end and shipped it was $270.66 for the race version.

Trying to make my car as undriveable as a daily driver part by part...
Just want to say that NVH is additive with each piece of part that you change to stiffen things up and take out the damping, NVH increases. I have been keenly aware of each incremental increase of NVH along the way. The most surprising is the Milltek catback without resonator to the added vibration in addition to sound level. Fortunately it has not increase past the point that the interior plastic trims starting to rattle, which to me would be very unpleasant.

For me I would choose the VT. I would pick the normal one over the race version. But hay, I chose the black pill (race) when it comes to the Powerflex front control arm bushings.

The following users liked this post:
Thinker2112 (11-17-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:35 AM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
I am fully aware. I was also surprised with the NHV when I added my exhaust as well. It was strange for about 2 days. The only thing that still bothers me is the slight ticking sound from the sunroof when it is in the full open position. I expect that to increase with the new motor mount.

I ordered the part on Monday. Should be here by Saturday.