Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

2005 Mini puddle lights not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:07 PM
Markemark
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mini puddle lights not working

All of the other interior lights are working, thought these would be on the same circuit. Bulbs look ok, could the bcm have been changed with one that did not come with that option?

Old 05-21-2017, 01:12 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Markemark
could the bcm have been changed with one that did not come with that option?
You mean with a BCM from an earlier year? If that were the case, a lot of other things would also stop working. Did you actually test or replace the bulbs?

Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
2005 is GEN1 ......

a 2005 has puddle lights?

Old 05-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Markemark
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
You mean with a BCM from an earlier year? If that were the case, a lot of other things would also stop working. Did you actually test or replace the bulbs?
Yes, the bulbs are OK and everything else in the car is functional that I've tested so far. I just got this Mini and it's my first.

Capt_bj

The lights on the bottom of the doors, I believe they are referred to as puddle
lights or courtesy lights, it is a 2005. My first post and I did not see in the edit how to move my post to Gen1, sorry maybe the moderators can move it.
Thanks!!

Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
hmmmmm, must be different from the GEN2 and later puddle lights as the maker of the 'projection' replacements says they only fit Gen2 and later .... I don't remember any in my 2002 but there were MANY things added over the years after 2002 .... Haynes for GEN1 doesn't mention 'em either and they don't appear in any wiring diagram in the Haynes .... is it possible these were not activated on US models but existed for EU sales only?

https://www.gobadges.com/led-door-li...door-light.htm

p.s. no apology necessary, but you'll probably gen better replies if asked in the correct part of the site ... I've asked mod's to move it (you can do this {ask} by clicking the triangle with the ! in it next to the message count top right of a post)

Last edited by Capt_bj; 05-21-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Markemark
Neutral
Would you know the next voltage point I could check, hoping its a short maybe water got into the doors, but then why would all the other interior lights, door chime, key chime, etc be ok. Am I wrong thinking these would all
be on the same circuit?

Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I don't remember any in my 2002 but there were MANY things added over the years after 2002
Puddle lights were part of the 2005 refresh. My 2006 R52 had them and I replaced the bulbs with brighter 194 LED flank bulbs (also in the footwells).

@Markemark, what is the build date of your car (on the VIN tag at the door)? Some of the changes for 2005 model year didn't fully get in until 1/2005. If you have an early build of 2005 model year (built in late 2004), this is a possible reason for not being functional in your car.

I just discovered that wiring diagrams and service info are back online after being unavailable for a few years (BMW had ordered a takedown of their copyrighted material): https://www.newtis.info. Enjoy it while you can, because BMW might take it down again.

Here is the wiring diagram for the puddle lights: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...lights/q5ypMyT
Here is the full lighting wiring in the doors: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/r...lights/qDBJ5pT
  • The puddle lights ("door entrance light") are on a separate circuit from other lights — originating from pin 17 of connector X254 of the BCM
  • Unfortunately it doesn't show where connector X13580 is. It is probably a splitter close to the BCM that splits the signal to left and right doors.
  • This image shows the wiring behind the door panel. E113 is the puddle light.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Markemark
Neutral
Thank you for all this info rkw, I see the lighting for the door handle in these pictures and those are working too, small orange light stays on with the parking/headlights. I'm stumped because I don't see a separate fuse for them either. Going to pull all fuses before I open the door panel. Could this be a programming/memory issue? Like Daytime Running lamps being set to off.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Markemark
Neutral
Production Date 2005-05-06

Old 05-21-2017, 08:37 PM
Markemark
Neutral
So I checked my fuse box and all the extra's are missing and a lot of fuses
were upside down, so I'm guessing this Mini had some major electrical problem
at one time and blew a lot of fuses.
I get to fuse f41 and it is blown!! Don't have any 5 amp fuses and assuming it will blow again I don't want to pull one from everything else
that works fine.
Also this fuse has a indication of a parking sensor which I don't have any
sensors on the rear bumper.

@rkw Could Mini have used this fuse just for those lights? seems they would
come on with the other interiors when you open the door.

I know, just replace the damn fuse Mark and see what happens
ps. this car has a lot of 5 amp fuses

Old 05-21-2017, 09:34 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
In addition to the optional parking sensors, Fuse F41 is also for the fan of the power steering pump. This fan is a fairly common failure and you should check that it spins freely and still works. It's a big topic on this forum: https://www.google.com/search?q=powe...anmotoring.com

If a light is directly connected through a fuse, the wiring diagrams would show it. Actually almost all lighting is directly connected to the BCM. The BCM is connected to a lot of fuses. However, in the wiring diagrams the BCM is mostly a black box and little of its internal wiring is shown. The diagrams mostly don't show what function is associated with a fuse connected to the BCM.

Old 05-21-2017, 10:01 PM
Markemark
Neutral
Would have been nice to have those lights come on rkw but now I have to
seriously check my steering pump fan
Since most people are not mentioning losing there puddle lights due to
this fuse (only there back up sensors, and steering pump fan) I'm going to
assume and say it was a easy fix pipe dream. Its looking more like you said
the BCM was replaced with one that was for a 2005 but before they added the puddle lights.