Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Need O2 sensor for '06

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:40 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need O2 sensor for '06

Check engine light came on in my '06. Plugged in my OBDC-II reader and the code is for the O2 sensor. A little checking tells me it should not be overly difficult to replace the sensor.

There are two, right? Should I replace both? Is it worth a DIY repair? I enjoy doing these things, but if I'm not really saving money over bringing it to my local garage, I kind of have a lot on my plate these days. They've quoted me over the phone as this repair costing, at most, somewhere in the $400 range - half that if it's the lessor of the two sensors that need replacing. (I forget if it's pre or post.)

Where is a good place to get this part?

Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 AM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
There are a lot of good threads on the O2 Sensors...from what I've read the majority fo the problems are with the pre-cat sensor. Most folks seem to recommend the NTK O2 sensors. I got mine on Amazon but haven't changed it yet...mine has been a bear to get off and I'm waiting to change it by removing the exhaust manifold...when you do that though they recommend new bolts and of course a new gasket.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:21 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear
How much of a problem is it to continue driving once the car's OBDC says there's a problem with the O2 sensor? My preference of course is to get it fixed right away - I just want to know how much leeway I have.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Cenla Mini
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I reset the warning on my wife's and it showed back up a few months after...to be honest I haven't seen any problems with it...it's just annoying but I'll get it changed eventually.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:32 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by audiodef
Check engine light came on in my '06. Plugged in my OBDC-II reader and the code is for the O2 sensor. A little checking tells me it should not be overly difficult to replace the sensor.

There are two, right? Should I replace both? Is it worth a DIY repair? I enjoy doing these things, but if I'm not really saving money over bringing it to my local garage, I kind of have a lot on my plate these days. They've quoted me over the phone as this repair costing, at most, somewhere in the $400 range - half that if it's the lessor of the two sensors that need replacing. (I forget if it's pre or post.)

Where is a good place to get this part?
Just for ha-ha's, ( get your mileage ) call your MINI dealer, ask for service department and see if they are covered. In some cases, they have extended the warranty on these for the 06 models....also seen issues with a re-occurring CEL for this issue which has yet to be resolved even after new manifold installed, but in that particular case it was bank 2.

No need to replace both at same time. They are also interchangeable ( same part both locations ) for purposes of diagnostics, but serve a different function due to location.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:13 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
Yep, check its right here. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...o2-sensor.html

Might be out of the 10 yrs.

I believe bank 1 is the front and bank 2 is the rear if you have the code reader. I did one then about a couple months (the bank 1 went) later I did the other. That's why it might be easier to do both. Save you another fix.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 AM
audiodef
2nd Gear
I'm past 10/100k. I love how this car runs so well at this age.

ECSTuning, can you link me to the part I need?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,965 Likes on 1,765 Posts
yep.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...om-up-top.html

Socket i liked using, in thread also UN1204250

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172