Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Mini Cooper base issues @ 98K

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Brian Rathbun
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No codes

Originally Posted by shorenetworks
Posting this looking for assistance and another set of eyes.

So as of Friday I have a new issues loss of power along with rough idle and visible soot being blown out of the muffler. If RPM's are under 3K I have a difficult time getting above 30MPH also suffering from a random misfire.

So far no codes were generated!!!

Now for the back story, Its a 2011 with 98,000 miles on it and for the past six months I have had codes P0599 for the thermostat control circuit, and a p0420 for a catalytic system below threshold. Car is also suffering from the normal BMW/Mini issues i.e. coolant leaks from water pump.

Yesterday I did some checking and plugs were covered in soot (surprise!!) these were changed around 85,000 miles due to a random misfire.

Did some running evaluations with the scangauge and running issues and visible carbon was only occurring during closed loop operation.

Checked catalytic converter with an infrared thermometer and exhaust tubing was showing 540-600 degrees prior to catalytic converter and about the same right after catalytic converter.

Also Pulled pre catalytic oxygen sensor and discover it was packed in carbon as well.

Ran both plugs and oxygen sensor through a ten minute ultrasonic bath with denatured alcohol.

Upon reinstall and 2nd round of testing had about 5 minutes where car was running with rough idle, visible carbon, and misfire then cleared.

right now car is running at 90% still have a slight loss of power but no carbon and no misfire. I am also able to do well over 30MPH with no issues

At this point I am suspecting a faling pre catalytic converter oxygen sensor along with the catalytic converter being nonfunctional.

What's your thoughts and any other ideas probably will order a pre catalytic oxygen sensor. Also planning on addressing the coolant leak and thermostat issues as well.

Will also say I do love this car but not really thrilled with pretty much all of the exhaust emissions parts failing at this low of milage!!!

Chris

Adding VIN in hopes that the next potential buyer will find this info WMWSU3C54BT182709
no codes is an answer in it's self. Missfires are checked by crank sensor speed varience and a code will set only when the man in the dash decides they're bad enough to damage the cat. However the man in the dash is an idiot. Direct injection engines that are struggling to breathe because of the absolutely inevitable carbon issue will not set codes because all the cylinders are equally choked. The only codes I've ever seen have been 02 sensor circuit slow response, cat efficiency and I guess rarely a random miss

Old 06-05-2018, 06:03 PM
Ufac Auto Superstore LLC
Neutral
Issues again?

Originally Posted by shorenetworks
Just got off the phone with the mechanic 2nd op and confirmed what the dealership has said roughly 2k and will still have outstanding issues. Looks like I will be moving forward with replacing the car. Kicking and screaming the whole way in!!!
If you have access to a scan tool, look at your car and see what's happening while driving. Is it getting enought gas? are all cylinders firing at specs, is cataylst reaching 1500 degrees, any air leaks (do a smoke test)-all of these issues could cause a loss of power. In reference to your oil leak, MINI are know for leakage near the oil housing unit as well as PCV gasket issues which consumes lots of oil. I wasted a lot of time not using my scan tool properly. Actually, MINI dealer provided incorrect information for repair. I know a MINI shop in NC but not anywhere else. They work on a lot of foreign cars.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:18 PM
Brentw777
Neutral
is there a trick to inserting the map sensor hose into the red clip?

Old 11-04-2019, 06:18 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's up, peeps? Just a random drive-by, checking in, saying hi. Miss the MINI a lot recently, really wishing I had a more commute-friendly vehicle, though the Jeep is solid. Not quite the experience of the MINI, though, y'know?

Hope everyone is doing well.