Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

cylinder 3 leakage, requires cylinder head replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:34 PM
kennyshi
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cylinder 3 leakage, requires cylinder head replacement

Hi,

I have a 2008 cooper convertible.

In May 2013, at a traffic light, the car vibrated and the Service Engine Soon light went on flashing for 30 seconds, then stayed on. I drove it to dealer the next morning, but the light went off by itself before I could reach the dealer, so no diagnosis was done.

In July, the light went on again, this time, no rattling. Drive was smooth, but felt slight loss of power. Dealer said it was faulty spark plugs, and replaced them. At 60k miles, even dealer thought it wasn't common.

On October 27, the light went on again. No rattling, smooth ride, slight loss of power. Dealer said it was a misfire on cylinder 3. The coil of the plug had corrosion. They cleaned it.

On December 13, the light went on again. Same as last time. This time, dealer performed leak down test, found out a misfire on cylinder 3, and 40% leak in cylinder 3. They recommended "car needs all exhaust valves and a cylinder head". It was quoted $3,300 for parts (cylinder heads, bolts, gaskets, valves, lube, etc.), and $2,800 for labor, so total $6,100.

I went to a couple local auto repair shops. They said another option was to rebuild the cylinder heads. All inclusive, $2,500 to 2,800.

$6,100 is awfully a lot. But I am wondering if $2,500 is a fair price to have the heads rebuilt?

Thanks!

Kenny

Old 12-20-2013, 04:46 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
How much to just remove and install a new Reman Engine from MINI ? Would be less labor, no machine shop costs for the head, and a reman engine frm MINI is around $4,500K. Comes as you see here.

There are 4 available stateside, and plenty of them in Germany. 11000430231

Old 01-08-2014, 01:03 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Ouch on the price.

I've done some wrenching on cars in the past, including our two MINIs. Brakes, belts, oil changes, control arm bushings, alternators and starters, things like that. Never any internal engine work to speak of. Got almost the same diagnosis on my wife's '03 this summer after having the check engine light come on almost constantly. I was getting misfire codes in cylinder #4. Shop we took it to did a compression test and their findings were a bad exhaust valve in #4 leading to low compression- about half what it should be. They also quoted us $3000 for the job.

Bentley manual in hand, I figured I could do the job and if I couldn't I wouldn't be out much by trying. Had a fellow MINI club member step up and we were able to work in his garage. He's a pretty experienced amateur mechanic and I benefitted greatly from his experience.

To prepare I spend about $200 at Way Motor Works on the various gaskets I would need plus another $75 on the special tool kit for taking the camshaft sprocket off. We worked together for about 2 1/2 hours and got the head off easily. I decided to have that head reconditioned; out the door it was $461 including valve guides on the exhaust valves, new seals all around and one new valve. Putting the head back on took about another 3 1/2 hours of casual wrenching. The car now runs perfectly- no missing, no leaks, etc. We haven't had a compression check, but it is not throwing any codes.

That price they are quoting is insane, and they are quoting way too many replacement parts. Any qualified machine shop should be able to regrind and reseat the good valves- they don't all need to be replaced. We told them we are keeping the car long term and do a job on the head that will last, and it was still only $461.

Assuming your car is not an S model your engine and layout should be identical to mine. If you are at all mechanically inclined or know a shade tree mechanic who is the two of you should be able to do the job yourselves. If you are feeling up to it I can answer any questions you might have.

Good luck with it.

Val

Last edited by valvashon; 02-09-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: fixed error on the cylinder number
Old 01-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
How much to just remove and install a new Reman Engine from MINI ? Would be less labor, no machine shop costs for the head, and a reman engine frm MINI is around $4,500K. Comes as you see here.
Budget for around $2k to remove and replace a motor. Remember that all of the accessories (supercharger, alternator, compressor, etc.) need to be swapped over as well...

Old 03-30-2018, 06:00 AM
Jas98
1st Gear
Originally Posted by valvashon
Ouch on the price.

I've done some wrenching on cars in the past, including our two MINIs. Brakes, belts, oil changes, control arm bushings, alternators and starters, things like that. Never any internal engine work to speak of. Got almost the same diagnosis on my wife's '03 this summer after having the check engine light come on almost constantly. I was getting misfire codes in cylinder #4. Shop we took it to did a compression test and their findings were a bad exhaust valve in #4 leading to low compression- about half what it should be. They also quoted us $3000 for the job.

Bentley manual in hand, I figured I could do the job and if I couldn't I wouldn't be out much by trying. Had a fellow MINI club member step up and we were able to work in his garage. He's a pretty experienced amateur mechanic and I benefitted greatly from his experience.

To prepare I spend about $200 at Way Motor Works on the various gaskets I would need plus another $75 on the special tool kit for taking the camshaft sprocket off. We worked together for about 2 1/2 hours and got the head off easily. I decided to have that head reconditioned; out the door it was $461 including valve guides on the exhaust valves, new seals all around and one new valve. Putting the head back on took about another 3 1/2 hours of casual wrenching. The car now runs perfectly- no missing, no leaks, etc. We haven't had a compression check, but it is not throwing any codes.

That price they are quoting is insane, and they are quoting way too many replacement parts. Any qualified machine shop should be able to regrind and reseat the good valves- they don't all need to be replaced. We told them we are keeping the car long term and do a job on the head that will last, and it was still only $461.

Assuming your car is not an S model your engine and layout should be identical to mine. If you are at all mechanically inclined or know a shade tree mechanic who is the two of you should be able to do the job yourselves. If you are feeling up to it I can answer any questions you might have.

Good luck with it.

Val
Hi. I’m having the same problem you had. Mine is cylinder 4 valve leak. I’m not very familiar with internal engine components so I am very intimidated to do the valve replacement, but I gotta do it as my budget won’t allow me to have it done at the shop. First, where did you get the Bentley manual from? Second, how long did the shop took to get your engine part ready? Lastly, is it possible to do the job by myself?
Pls help.
My car is a 2005 MCS.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:34 AM
Whine not Walnuts
OVERDRIVE
Received 625 Likes on 554 Posts
Yes you can do yourself if you are on a budget and have TIME. There are allot of videos on Youtube.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:55 AM
Jas98
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Whine not Walnuts
Yes you can do yourself if you are on a budget and have TIME. There are allot of videos on Youtube.
I’ll look it up today. I hope I can do this, wish me luck!

Old 05-21-2018, 03:06 PM
gum
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My son was driving my mini and some how it got big time overheated, that was in Dec last year fast forward now, May 2018, I remove the head and send it to the machine shop here in Miami $120 not bad, the head gasket blown out, so now that I have half motor disassembled, the machinest suggested since it got overheated to check the piston rings, if I do that as matter as well going to honing the piston the get rid of the glaze.
also I would change a new clutch and it’s kit and the cv axle.
new timing belt and sprockets and tensioner it would be like new.
i won’t let nobody else drive my car, lesson learned the hard way
my favorite place is vídeos about fixing things in YouTube
Gus