Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Do you suppose some have the yo yo but dont' know it

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 02:00 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm writing part out of idle curiousity and part because friends have mentioned that their minis drive better with the new software version.

The FI on my car is definitely not the smoothest, but I've always just driven around any issues by altering driving habits.

On/off throttle response, for instance, is really jerky, but if I'm smooth during the transition it's not an issue. I also heel/toe at every stop light to get that flippin' huge flywheel moving before letting upon the clutch, and avoid certain RPM ranges in certain circumstances.

We all subconsciously adjust to cars and this is all nothing new. The reason I'm writing is I wonder if the new releases clean up some of these drivability issues. A bonus would be getting rid of the hole off-idle, but I suspect that's just low-boost drivability in a S/C car.

Seeing as how every other mini I've driven besides my own had an aftermarket chip I don't have any point of reference. Anyone drive a September 2002 build that's had their chip flashed that could report if there are significant improvements that are to be had?

And the follow-on question--I wonder aloud if some of the sloppiness in the FI that I have is yo yo? (I don't consider it even annoying much less debilitating so I'm not going to belabor this point.)

Comments?

TIA, Jeff

Old 05-20-2004, 08:11 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Bump.

Any 09/02 owners upgrade their software? To good or bad effect?

TIA, Jeff

Old 05-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Minimoto
2nd Gear
They may be more than a few. Many people that pedal-pump when they drive do not even know that they are making their passengers sick. So, it would stand to reason that some owners with minor yo-yo's don't even realize it's there.
That leads me to wonder if pedal pumpers make the yo-yo worse? I'm getting queazy just thinking about it.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:10 AM
10851CS
Former Vendor
I was wondering this also. When my MCS "stumbles" I chalk it up to driver error, so I really don't know. I thought about having someone else drive it and see.

When I had someone else drive it before she said I had a bad smog hose and I could hear it with the music off and the window down. I never would have heard it as the music is always ON.

Earl

Old 05-20-2004, 09:21 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I think it's not just possible but probable... It wouldn't surprise me if my car did it, but my lack of experience with a manual transmission led me to chalk it up to the car being the car...

Old 05-20-2004, 09:40 AM
chollomo
4th Gear
I guess I pedal pump, and yeah I thoguth my stumble/yo-yo was pretty bad. then again I sit in traffic a lot and I don't think I pump that much but when y moms in the car you'd think I was alternating barake and pedal, then again I don't care much for her drivign either.

Old 05-20-2004, 03:26 PM
bonz
3rd Gear
Well here is a dumb question ... How noticable is the yo-yo problem and if you have a JCW mini does the yo yo problem go away? Have less than 1100 miles on my new JCW kit and get a extremely small bit if so called surging but it could be because I cannot rev engine above 4500 RPMs.

As a side, July 02 build never been updated that I know.

Later

PS. 100 more miles and I rev to the limit

Old 05-20-2004, 04:34 PM
JustGo4It_
5th Gear
There are some JCW cars with yo-yo. It is most prevalent in the 2500-3000 rpm range. I notice it most in second gear. I know that's not the answer you wanted to hear. Welcome to the Yo-Yo Club.
I'm not sure how upgrading your ECU will affect your JCW tuning. Anybody have an answer? I'm thinking these questions should have been posted in The Yo-Yo Chronicles.

Old 05-20-2004, 07:26 PM
friedduck
4th Gear
>> So, it would stand to reason that some owners with minor yo-yo's don't even realize it's there.

That's what I'm thinking. Some are reporting horrible drivability and others minor annoyances and I'm beginning to think that a good part of the differences can be chalked up to driving style.

It'd still be nice to hear that there's little or no downside to upgrading. Mine's due for a 25k service soon and I'd like to figure out if it's worth the risk...

Jeff

Old 05-20-2004, 07:30 PM
lotsie
Banned
Old 05-20-2004, 07:44 PM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
In order to produce yo-yo in my car, I have to drive a certain way. :smile:

I first noticed yo-yo on my 04 JCW that occured around 3000 RPM. After adding a few mods (CAI, TB, header/exhaust, ignition coil/wire, plugs, etc...), the yo-yo moved up to 4000 RPM. After Unichip, now I experience it around 5000 RPM. Quite odd!

Old 05-20-2004, 10:33 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My car too has a mild case of yoyo, but I really have to drive it a certain
way (engage 2nd abruptly at low rpm) in order to reproduce it.

even my other car has yoyo in 1st if I engage in a similar manner.

I just changed my driving habits a little, and I experience no yoyo.

Old 05-21-2004, 12:29 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts
>>I'm writing part out of idle curiousity and part because friends have mentioned that their minis drive better with the new software version.

I have a 10/02 build MCS that wasn't particularly bothered by stumble or yo-yo when I drove it but when others drove there was a bit of hesitation and jerkiness. So I think driving style has a bit to do with the perception of stumble and yo-yo.

>>The FI on my car is definitely not the smoothest, but I've always just driven around any issues by altering driving habits.

Just give it gas and go above 4000 rpm and you won't have much trouble.

>>On/off throttle response, for instance, is really jerky, but if I'm smooth during the transition it's not an issue. I also heel/toe at every stop light to get that flippin' huge flywheel moving before letting upon the clutch, and avoid certain RPM ranges in certain circumstances.

Don't let off the throttle and keep it smooth. One thing I do with my aftermarket exhaust is to try to keep it super quiet by being even and smooth with the throttle. That way my wife doesn't notice how loud it really is. But when I want to I can drive vigorously and make lots of noise with the windows down.

>>We all subconsciously adjust to cars and this is all nothing new. The reason I'm writing is I wonder if the new releases clean up some of these drivability issues. A bonus would be getting rid of the hole off-idle, but I suspect that's just low-boost drivability in a S/C car.
>>
>>Seeing as how every other mini I've driven besides my own had an aftermarket chip I don't have any point of reference. Anyone drive a September 2002 build that's had their chip flashed that could report if there are significant improvements that are to be had?

I had the original software for at least 8 months before I flashed it to v.36 and it was OK but nothing much better for me. I'm getting v.37 this week since my MINI is in the shop for something else.

>>And the follow-on question--I wonder aloud if some of the sloppiness in the FI that I have is yo yo? (I don't consider it even annoying much less debilitating so I'm not going to belabor this point.)

If you drive and don't baby it and don't really notice much hesitation or jerkiness then you are fine and don't need to worry about any ECU upgrade or software flash for now. If your MINI stalls and hesitates to the point of being dangerous in intersections then get the software flash. I don't think v.38 is out yet, not according to my dealer.

In some cases stumble and yo-yo may be minimal and the driver style may reveal it. Drive your MCS at 4000-6000 rpm and work those gears. I don't think there will be much perceived hesitation.
>>Comments?
>>
>>TIA, Jeff

Old 05-21-2004, 01:35 AM
pocketrocketowner
Banned
I drive mah car pretty hard......even though it can barely get out of its own way cuz it is BRG, the ONLY time it has EVER stumbled is when the nut behind the wheel has forgottent to switch of the thingy deal while autocrossing.....other than that, nada, zip.....and keep in mind the color.....

Old 05-22-2004, 11:19 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
Since I went from the stock run flats to the Yokos the DSC only comes on if tire leaves the ground (like leaving a driveway that's at an odd angle to the street.)

Before that I turned it off EVERY time I got behind the wheel. Now I've gotten lazy.

Jeff