F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Is there another car like the MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 08:07 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Is there another car like the MINI?

Just curious if there is another car that has the distinctive looks, and peppy characteristics that a MINI has?

I know the VW GTI and others may be faster and have provide the same driving experience as the MINI, however, they all look so much alike, they lose much appeal in my eye.

I suppose the Miata is one that is distinct and would be a fun car as would the Alfa 4C (for about twice the price).

Any other worthy candidates that match the MINI in distinctiveness and pure driving fun?

I cannot come up with another worthy choice.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:14 AM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USA-RET
Just curious if there is another car that has the distinctive looks, and peppy characteristics that a MINI has?

I know the VW GTI and others may be faster and have provide the same driving experience as the MINI, however, they all look so much alike, they lose much appeal in my eye.

I suppose the Miata is one that is distinct and would be a fun car as would the Alfa 4C (for about twice the price).

Any other worthy candidates that match the MINI in distinctiveness and pure driving fun?

Try a Fiat 500 Abarth, not as refined as the Mini, but still a hoot to throw into the corners and wind the **** out of. With the small size and squarish wheel base it handles quite well.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:15 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
I see where the Miata will be offered in a dedicated fastback coupe next year. That may be the car. Light, small and peppy, should be a looker if they do it right.

Still a bit leery of the Fiat's QC. Have not read any sterling reports.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:59 AM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Perhaps the Audi TT; although priced a bit higher.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:44 AM
semibreve42
Neutral
Honda CR-Z

I previously had a Honda CR-Z. It's about a second slower then the F56 Justa in the 0-60. Other than that it's fairly similar. Fantastic steering and the ability to throw it around through curves, and the electric assist gives it pretty good torque, for the engine size.

It's actually a few inches shorter and has a tighter turning radius :-)

I loved it, but needed a backseat for future tiny family members.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:15 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HogWldFLTR
Perhaps the Audi TT; although priced a bit higher.
I used to work at a Porsche and Audi dealership. Maybe it was just because I was also driving Carreras and S4s around all day, but I remember being distinctly unimpressed with the TT. I'm sure its acceleration is fine, but I found the interior to be relatively bland / stale design and the handling to be not as interactive and fun as a MINI.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:55 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Southern Marylander
I used to work at a Porsche and Audi dealership. Maybe it was just because I was also driving Carreras and S4s around all day, but I remember being distinctly unimpressed with the TT. I'm sure its acceleration is fine, but I found the interior to be relatively bland / stale design and the handling to be not as interactive and fun as a MINI.
How would you rate the Cayman (base) to the MINI for a fun drive? Currently have a 2015 C7 and find myself cruising rather than scooting in it.

Thinking it's more about the size than anything else. MINI just begs to be scooted around town. Thinking (and from what I've heard and read) the Miata is another car in that same category. I do not like roadsters, so I discount any car that falls into that category, but with a fast back coupe in the works from Mazda, the Miata may be a nice drive.

Size wise the Miata is very close to the MINI, the Audi TT is the next closest.

MINI L 152 W 68 H 56
Miata L 154 W 68 H 49
TT L 165 W 72 H 53
Cayman L 172 W 71 H 51

C7 L 177 W 76 H 49

Old 09-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How would you rate the Cayman (base) to the MINI for a fun drive? Currently have a 2015 C7 and find myself cruising rather than scooting in it.
That wasn't released until 2006, after my stint at the dealership. I did get to drive the first Audi S8 in the United States, though.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:14 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I looked at the CR-Z and the VW Beetle.

Europe has more options.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:15 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a Scion FR-S before my present MINI. It and it's twin the Subaru BRZ are very similar in handling but I prefer the handling of the MINI.

Repeating what someone else said a while back when comparing the MINI to a Carerra: The Mini is 80% of the fun for 30% of the cost.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:44 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by LordWinslow
Try a Fiat 500 Abarth, not as refined as the Mini, but still a hoot to throw into the corners and wind the **** out of. With the small size and squarish wheel base it handles quite well.
+1 When set up right, they make some pretty interesting track animals! This is a fellow sponsor of mine and one of their Fiat race cars.

Originally Posted by whaap
I had a Scion FR-S before my present MINI. It and it's twin the Subaru BRZ are very similar in handling but I prefer the handling of the MINI.
+1 as well. The BRZ handles like a beast! Drove one of Crawford Performance's BRZ with their billet power blocks, exhaust, tune, wider wheels and sticky tires. Was amazed how well it stuck it through corners being that it is RWD.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-28-2015, 10:58 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
The Abarth is closest to the R53 MINI in terms of overall driving experience. IMO the Fiesta ST is about as close as it gets to the newer MINI's in terms of pace and chassis feel.

Both the 86 Twins and the NC Miata are comparable in certain ways, as does a Cayman despite the price delta.

I don't think the GTI compares at all on an emotional level. It feels like a big isolated boat, despite being quick and competent through corners.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:10 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Really driven allot of car here ( on and off track ) and there and nothing really comes close to the MINI, the R53 R52 and R50 have a more connected feel to the road. The R56 feels more soft but still more connected then anything else. I would say a racing go cart with much more hp would be close.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-30-2015, 12:05 AM
jacobj
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I drove a Fiesta ST and the BRZ before choosing my MINI.

The Ford felt cheap and poorly designed, and had a reallly springy clutch, I hated driving that thing. Not much character.

The Subaru was rather fun, with a much more "race-y" feel to it. I think the throw on the shifter was so fantastically short and comfortable. It very much had the teenager drift pig car feel, though. But damn was it fun.
The BRZ was probably closest in feel to the MINI but alas, it is a RWD naturally aspirated car, a totally different beast.

The MINI felt a bit more refined than both. Never would have gone with the Fiesta, the BRZ was a very very close option. But the MINI affliction caught me.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:10 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts

At the risk of being unmercifully concise...

NO!

Old 09-30-2015, 05:44 AM
2010CHILI
3rd Gear
Every other reasonably priced option I have tried definitely do not give that feel of connection and control that the Minis do. Even the newer F models feel more disconnected than the earlier generations of Minis, and I have logged about 6000 miles this year in a few different F models while my R56 was in the dealership for never ending repairs. Miatas are the only reasonable priced competition as far as fun factor and the feeling of "oneness" with the car, but being a 2 seater with negligible storage space make it an unreasonable choice for a daily driver when you have 2 kids. Abarth came second as far as 4 seater handling/fun factor, but that poor little thing hit every branch when it fell out of the ugly tree. A friend who has an Abarth and previously owned an R53s says the only difference to him is he used to catch himself just looking at his Mini, and the Fiat only looks good through the windshield.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:14 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
This new Fiat looks promising with killer good looks (but only come in a drop top)

Two spy shots are of the Fiat (black).

Red Miata fastback looks promising (and quite fetching) with a lot more storage space than the rag top. Both are to be priced similar to a well optioned MCS.

Fiat looks sexy, but QC would be questionable. Miata looks very nice (in a throwback sort of way) and has the Mazda rep of reliability.

Our F56 may as well not have a back seat, but I do find the fold down's extra storage to be absolutely wonderful. Thinking maybe a 2017 Miata for a second car with some functionality for getting groceries or short weekend trips with more that a carry on.

Attached Thumbnails Is there another car like the MINI?-fiat-124-1-500x333.jpg   Is there another car like the MINI?-fiat-124-2-500x332.jpg   Is there another car like the MINI?-imageuploadedbymx5-miata.net1409864944.306580.jpg  
Old 09-30-2015, 06:20 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
So wait, the MX 5 coupe is really a thing? I've seen renderings, but couldn't find evidence of it being a reality. If so, that would be a sweet car...

Old 09-30-2015, 06:41 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
So wait, the MX 5 coupe is really a thing? I've seen renderings, but couldn't find evidence of it being a reality. If so, that would be a sweet car...
From what I gather Mazda is going to offer one based on the new design in 2017. 60% of the buying public have wanted one and I understand Mazda is going to tap that market.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/8/2...-2017-7722230/

http://newcarstrends.info/2017-mazda-mx-5-coupe/

MX-5 Miata: The fourth generation of the venerable MX-5 Miata debuts at a media event next month before going on sale next summer for the 2016 model year. The redesigned MX-5 is expected to be close to the original Miata in terms of dimensions and the roadster's roughly 2,100-pound curb weight. Under the hood will be a Skyactiv 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission.
Roughly a year after the soft-top goes on sale, Mazda will release a hardtop MX-5 that will have a unique, fastback-style silhouette, Automotive News has been told.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
From what I gather Mazda is going to offer one based on the new design in 2017. 60% of the buying public have wanted one and I understand Mazda is going to tap that market.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/8/2...-2017-7722230/

http://newcarstrends.info/2017-mazda-mx-5-coupe/

2017 Mazda MX–5 - Next Mazda MX–5 coupe will arrive in 2017 - YouTube

MX-5 Miata: The fourth generation of the venerable MX-5 Miata debuts at a media event next month before going on sale next summer for the 2016 model year. The redesigned MX-5 is expected to be close to the original Miata in terms of dimensions and the roadster's roughly 2,100-pound curb weight. Under the hood will be a Skyactiv 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine mated to a six-speed manual transmission.
Roughly a year after the soft-top goes on sale, Mazda will release a hardtop MX-5 that will have a unique, fastback-style silhouette, Automotive News has been told.
Now they have my attention!

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 AM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Southern Marylander
They totally redid the TT this year just like the Mini was redone last year. I have liked their pop-up screen on my friends and their 220 hp as standard makes for a fairly quick car. Frankly I like the new Mini as opposed to my Generation II which I felt left a lot to be desired.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:53 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
I agree with the OP, the Mini is instantly recognizable due to its nearly vertical A and C pillars and long roofline. The Abarth and Miata come next. Of course there is perhaps no car so distinctive as the Mini Coupe lol.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
Rabid Miata fans have been foaming at the mouth for an MX-5 coupe since the 1996 M Coupe Concept. IMO, it'll only happen over Mazda's dead body. The closest it got was the NC PRHT, and so far it's only rumor mill and one patent drawing that the ND will have a manually actuated retractable hard top.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:56 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the simple answer to your question is "no."

Old 10-27-2015, 10:42 AM
Sayo
Neutral
What post above said.

IMO I don't think any of the mentioned by the OP are as peppy as the Mini. I traded my wife my '16 GTI for her mini because of this reason. The GTI has more top end, clearly.. but its laggy down low, not as peppy. The final drive or all the other gears could be closer. I use to ride on the highway in fourth at times, mostly in 5th.. 70mph in 6th and you're at 2,200rpms even though they say torque comes at 1500, not true.

I test drove the Abarth and it was laggy as hell, even in sports mode, at least for my taste, nothing to do with the Mini. The mini does offer a harsher ride but it could be due to the run flats.
That's all I have for now, not meant for discussion or criticizing the other rides, this is my subjective take on the matter of these rides.

Adding pics, to make it fun.

Mr. Peppy