Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Any chance MINI replaces my clutch for me for $0 at 52K miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:02 AM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any chance MINI replaces my clutch for me for $0 at 52K miles?

So, I've yet to fix my MINI's failed clutch, as I'm hoping the IRS will send me my refund soon to cover the cost. However, reading another thread got me curious...has anyone had any luck getting MINI to be at all flexible with warranty limits and extend a "goodwill" repair? I've got just over 52K on my MINI. In addition, I logged a complaint with the service department about an extremely intermittent clutch slipping problem at around 40K that was never able to be verified because it was so extremely rare and not reproducible on command. I experienced maybe 5 significant slips in the 12K miles that followed until the day it completely failed (went from working to not working in the course of running a few errands), so I was never able to get it looked at when the warranty would've been in effect.

Thoughts?

Just for kicks, I emailed MINI USA to see what they say. Figure the worst they can do is say no, and there's no harm in asking, right?

Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
I have seen some get lucky. Maybe you can too. Just call the dealer and be humble.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:46 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They'll only replace it if there is a glaring and obvious defect. Anyone that's got it replaced out of good will had the luck of the Irish for the day.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:34 AM
TimB
2nd Gear
I think this is all about your relationship with the service department. I've seen it both ways before, but not necessarily with MINI. Audi, BMW and Porsche techs I know have told me plenty of stories. It never involved the manufacturer, though. Always the service department being generous and making exceptions to the policy.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:03 AM
cooperjunkie
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I would say that you will have to pay something but maybe not all. Mine too went from working fine to driving across town and me being stranded in a matter of 30 mins. I was at 47,000 miles i think when it happened. MINI USA said sorry bout your luck its a wear item. The dealer initially said the same but after several calls (being very nice and polite) i finally got a goodwill for all of the labor. I had to pay for $690 in parts of the total $3000 bill. I will say the MINI service manager at my dealer was a complete ****** and very rude even though I was not at all out of the way with him. That made me mad so I contacted the general manager who put me in contact with the BMW service manager. He was very polite and had no problem doing the goodwill service. Like Braminator said just be polite and humble. And maybe a lil persistent.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Ask, plead, then beg ;p You never know till you ask. I'll echo the being nice part. Being a p!ssy brat rarely gets you help. ;p

Old 04-02-2013, 11:26 PM
MiniDeLux
3rd Gear
At that mileage, no chance at all.

Originally Posted by SoundMessage
So, I've yet to fix my MINI's failed clutch, as I'm hoping the IRS will send me my refund soon to cover the cost. However, reading another thread got me curious...has anyone had any luck getting MINI to be at all flexible with warranty limits and extend a "goodwill" repair? I've got just over 52K on my MINI. In addition, I logged a complaint with the service department about an extremely intermittent clutch slipping problem at around 40K that was never able to be verified because it was so extremely rare and not reproducible on command. I experienced maybe 5 significant slips in the 12K miles that followed until the day it completely failed (went from working to not working in the course of running a few errands), so I was never able to get it looked at when the warranty would've been in effect.

Thoughts?

Just for kicks, I emailed MINI USA to see what they say. Figure the worst they can do is say no, and there's no harm in asking, right?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:48 AM
Kevlar7R
2nd Gear
They would do it under the extended maintenance plan though, right?

Old 04-04-2013, 08:39 PM
boOst spIKe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevlar7R
They would do it under the extended maintenance plan though, right?
Yes, they would claim the clutch failed prematurely. They would more then likely ask you to pony up for a flywheel and cost of install of flywheel as 9 out of 10 times it will need to be replaced at the miles your at if your clutch is going out. I would also bet (if you have extended maint plan) that when the trans is out, your input shaft seal is sweating mildly and will need to be replaced at the same time.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:37 PM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Well, just to update those who replied here...

I received a phone call from MINI, and they essentially just put me in touch with the service manager at my local dealership. He said he would need the car in for diagnostic to take some photos, etc., to send to the "market team" for a decision. He said he would be more than happy to "go to bat" for me, but if they decided NOT to cover it, then I would be responsible for either the $3800 they want to charge me for the repair, or a $1400 diagnostic labour fee to put everything back together without the repair. I asked him what he thought the chances were, and he said that based on his experience, it was 50/50. The $1400 just about what my savings would be having an independent MINI shop do the repair ($2400) vs the dealership ($3800), so were they to deny the assistance on the replacement, at that point, I might as well have them do the overpriced repair.

So, in short, it'd be a $1400 gamble on a coin flip.

I'm thinking I'm just going to pay the $2400 and make sure it's fixed.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:47 PM
XxThalakosxX
2nd Gear
Well you need the clutch no matter what, so even tho $2400 is not free, IMO it's not worth the chance to have to pay the $3800.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:21 PM
omgjcw
1st Gear
The clutch would only be covered under the extended maintenance plan IF the clutch disc material measured below the MIN spec set by MINI AND there are no signs of abuse or misuse.