Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Dealer CAN'T reproduce my idle and clutch problems! So typical.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 11:31 AM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealer CAN'T reproduce my idle and clutch problems! So typical.

Hey peps.

So I took my 2011 MCS with 5500 miles on (since April) to dealer with few issues. Since dealer is over 100 miles away, I decided to wait with everything few more weeks and finally made the trip.
Got two options: they tow my car to them and tow it back to me but I won't be getting loner car OR I drive it there, leave it there, get loner and they tow my car to me. I went with second option. Great service on that.

Of course every problem I have, I tried to video tape. Which I did and sent it ahead to dealer. They sent back: yes, it looks abnormal.

I wrote description for them on paper so they can see clearly what are the problems.

Here is what they got from me:

---------------
squeaky clutch when pressed all the way down. Usually after driving my regular 10 miles between home and work. Also there is strange KNOCK feeling while pressing on clutch – this happens during driving, not while the car is off and parked (it is noticeable at the bottom of clutch while pressing).

Another problem with clutch is…. Sometimes while engine is still running and car is parked.. if I push on clutch all the way down and release it, I can see RPMs going from 800 to about 1000 rpm for about second and falls back to 800.. strange, since I do not push on gas pedal at all, etc..

my commute (home-work-home) is 10 miles each way. Car seats about 12 hrs in garage over night. When I get to work at 10:30 am I usually do not drive it again till about 8-9 pm that evening. Car seats all day outside in sun. Almost every time when I start my car after work… my idle goes down suddenly from 1100 rpm down to 800-900 rpms for about 1-2 sec and jumps back to 1100 rpms.. There is also exhaust sputter at the same time.. kinda like the car coughs..* Very annoying effect and worry some.

There is a pitchy steady noise while parking next to wall, car… seems like it is coming from the bottom of car.. not the same noise, as it was related before to water pump.

Gear shifting feels rough.. I will try test drive another MCS from Your lot to compare, but it feels rough to me. I also noticed a CLUNK noise first thing in the morning while backing up my car from garage.. while releasing clutch and the engine starts pulling.. there is this CLUNK noise coming from engine..

Squealing noise from windows while dry.
--------------------

On the rough gear, I test drove other MCS and it seems to be normal. So no problem there.

Here are few videos I sent them on that idle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TycS2...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfAaA...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP2qf...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-ojH...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzgJl...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgyBQ...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmCtV...e_gdata_player

And here is video of squeaky clutch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQpnU...e_gdata_player

So, they can not reproduce any of that. I like them a lot but with me being over 100 mile away, how else I can show it there is a proble?

I still haven't heard from them so going to call again today and ask. Just wondering what else I can do?

Last edited by cub4bearindiana; 08-24-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Try to reproduce the problem for them by driving the car with a tech inside.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:37 AM
automan21
5th Gear
You have a 2011 MCS and had a water pump issue already? Whats up with that?

Old 08-24-2011, 11:46 AM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
Yes I did. It wasn't water pump itself. It was some part of it. Dunno remember exactly names. I posted about it here before.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:05 PM
pheatton
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have some of those same issues and they cant seem the replicate them even though I show the Service Rep when I dropped it off....

Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 PM
turtle343
4th Gear
thats no good with the new car. you gotta try and test drive a few then just compare how they feel to see what is normal.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
^Turtles right...just like you, I'm finding out there are some "features" that are purely MINI characteristics, but you don't know until you drive (or hear from other owners) and realize it's normal.

I also drive a 2011 MCS manual (also purchased in April) with 5400 miles and thought the shifting felt rough, but now realize its normal compared to other MCS manuals. Also, my passenger side window began squeaking about a month ago. Occasionally I get a slight squeak from my clutch and we've already talked about the wastegate rattle a while back.

My assumption is that we own twins separated at birth. Is your MCS midnight black by any chance???

Good luck with getting everything squared away. I have to take mine in one of these days to lube that window and install washer fluid lines to my headlight washers that were never installed at the factory.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:34 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
OMG... and I was wondering why my headlights washer never worked? Way to funny! and what a lack of quality control on their side? This is BMW after all? shame on You BMW!

I am going to call them tomorrow and check it for me..

My car was build in August 2010.. delivered in september 2010. I got it in April 2011.. it is white silver..

Old 08-24-2011, 08:14 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Nice style choices! Btw, I have red roof/mirror envy...suppose I should have saved for a JCW if I wanted them that bad. I do have to say that I'm pretty happy with how mine's coming together...went nutz with black carbon 3M scotchprint vinyl.

Mine had a 11/10 build date. I wonder how many others out there are missing headlight washer supply lines. The only reason I didn't notice until recently was that it hasn't rained much here in SoCal since I bought the car.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
it was raining here two weeks ago and I wanted to try it finally.. and nothing.. zero.. with lights ON and OFF..

Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd suggest you pick your battles. While much of this stuff does sound like legitimate problems, there is also a lot of nitpicky stuff that is probably more/less normal for the type of car this is. These cars have some degree of quirks and funny noises and you'll drive yourself crazy chasing them all. Your list would be one of those where the dealer would look at it, throw up his hands in disgust, and just blow it off all-together, even the legitimate stuff.

As I said, pick your battles. If you expect absolute prefection, you're going to be disappointed. Also, you might be happier with a Lexus. And a make with a close-by dealer.

- Mark

Old 08-24-2011, 08:35 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
I see.. so these days pretty much U throw 30K on car and expect things to start falling apart in 4 months.. cool. will call them tomorrow to bring it back. Thanks for advice

Old 08-25-2011, 12:03 AM
BigFox
1st Gear
Ok, So I think i can help u with some of this.... What month/year was your car produced? It will be on a black sticker inside your drivers door along with the VIN. There may be a programming update for the idle complaint.

The knocking noise you're hearing is from a small alignment tab on the clutch pedal hitting something under the dash. I've taken just enough off of most of them with a file, and the noise goes away. If you have someone push the clutch and watch the pedal, you will see it get really close, if they push the clutch slightly towards the outside of the vehicle, the pedal will make contact.

The high pitched noise that you only hear when next to a building, is probably nothing. If you cant hear it inside the car while driving down the road, i would seriously ignore it, unless it starts to get worse.

The windows are an easy fix, they have a BMW special Lube to fix that problem.

The clutch/ idle fluctuation complaint, now that could be just a programming thing, or could be purely mechanical. If you've ever had these cars off the ground, with the engine running and the trans in neutral, you'll see the wheels spin. Thats just what they do, they are slightly engaged all the time to give faster response (my opinion). And the lack of load on the engine is what causes the idle to climb when the clutch is engaged.

The reverse complaint, you may have a loose motor mount bolt, the motor mount has to be taken loose to do anything with the water pump, so I would have that re-checked.

I hope this has helped you, good luck

Aloha

Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AdrenaliNate
... just like you, I'm finding out there are some "features" that are purely MINI characteristics, but you don't know until you drive (or hear from other owners) and realize it's normal...

... I have to take mine in one of these days to lube that window and install washer fluid lines to my headlight washers that were never installed at the factory.
Originally Posted by cub4bearindiana
OMG... and I was wondering why my headlights washer never worked...?
Along the line of MINI quirks: what I found on the topic of the headlight washers was that the headlights actually have to be turned on before the washers will deploy. If the headlights are off, they won't extend... Maybe I'm the odd man out on that, but it seemed a bit counter-intuitive to me at first.

So, be sure to check them with the headlights on before lodging a complaint...

Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 AM
automan21
5th Gear
So I have a 10/10 mfg date, does the update include to me?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:46 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BigFox
Ok, So I think i can help u with some of this.... What month/year was your car produced? It will be on a black sticker inside your drivers door along with the VIN. There may be a programming update for the idle complaint.

The knocking noise you're hearing is from a small alignment tab on the clutch pedal hitting something under the dash. I've taken just enough off of most of them with a file, and the noise goes away. If you have someone push the clutch and watch the pedal, you will see it get really close, if they push the clutch slightly towards the outside of the vehicle, the pedal will make contact.

The high pitched noise that you only hear when next to a building, is probably nothing. If you cant hear it inside the car while driving down the road, i would seriously ignore it, unless it starts to get worse.

The clutch/ idle fluctuation complaint, now that could be just a programming thing, or could be purely mechanical. If you've ever had these cars off the ground, with the engine running and the trans in neutral, you'll see the wheels spin. Thats just what they do, they are slightly engaged all the time to give faster response (my opinion). And the lack of load on the engine is what causes the idle to climb when the clutch is engaged.

The reverse complaint, you may have a loose motor mount bolt, the motor mount has to be taken loose to do anything with the water pump, so I would have that re-checked.

Aloha
Wow, that sounds very insightful. Are you a MINI tech?
Thanks for the info

Old 08-25-2011, 11:24 AM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
Thank you BigFox. I forwarded your post to my mini dealer and will see. Thanks again. Wish Hawaii was closer. I would made app with your dealer to work on my car

Originally Posted by BigFox

Aloha

Old 08-25-2011, 09:24 PM
markjenn
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cub4bearindiana
I see.. so these days pretty much U throw 30K on car and expect things to start falling apart in 4 months.. cool. will call them tomorrow to bring it back. Thanks for advice
Like your original post, you're being overly dramatic. Your car is not "falling apart". It has a few relatively minor problems and you're getting some legit research on here to get it fixed. As I said, pick your battles and keep some perspective.

- Mark

Old 09-07-2011, 09:20 PM
BigFox
1st Gear
FYI, the software update only applies to car made before 8/10. But hopefully the dealer can find something for you.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:47 PM
JustanotherTech
Neutral
Old thread, but I figured I would help you guys out. Im a tech at MINI, and I have seen a few of the problems you mentioned before. The clutch pedal "knocking" is the clutch pedal hitting the slave cylinder next to the pedal under the dash. Take it in to the dealer and tell them to replace the clutch pedal bushings. I've done it numerous times and it fixes EVERY car that I have done it on.

and to the headlight washers....they are now optional. Not sure if any of you knew that or not, but its an extra $100 or so to get them to where they actually work and have all the plumbing.

EDIT: They have to replace the whole pedal assembly and the spring (along with other minor pieces)with the bushings. It should be covered under warranty for most of you.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
Hey everyone..

So here is a short update.. THEY COULDN'T REPRODUCE non from above..

HOWEVER, my car is still in shop.. reason?
Well, they are trying to get me black housing headlights due to description on sticker from window.. When I purchased my car, I did not even notice that the sticker said BLACK HOUSING HEADLIGHTS... well, I got the car with silver housing.. AND the washers never worked..

so now they are trying to get the right color headlights and try connect washers.. BUT for now they say, there is no retro kit to have it connected.. so that will be interesting.

For now, I still have loner, which I think proves how great is that service department and what is even better, I did not buy that car in this dealer shop.. so THUMBS UP to them.

Now, on the other hand.. nothing was fixed from above problems.. so, my question goes to JustanotherTech.. I do appreciate Your help and info.. however problem is, that if they can not replicate my problems, how can they fix it for me?

I tried send them some of the info from this forum, but they still tell me that they can not replicate it, which means they cant just fix it even if I may be right...

On that clutch I would love to have it done... that squeaky noise together with this strange"knock" drives me crazy..

any advice welcome.. thank You.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 PM
JustanotherTech
Neutral
I have yet to have someone want to retro the headlight washers so I have no input on that subject. but for the question, if its something you can duplicate pretty regularly, like the clutch knocking, have the tech come out to the car and show him with the door open. Just FYI, I think someone may hae said it earlier, but the knocking should hapen when you push the clutch pedal in and towards the door. It shouldnt happen when you press the pedal in and away from the door. Obviously the idle problem isnt something you can control so you would just have to get lucky ...

To be honest, I've noticed the idle problem on so many cars that I write it off as "normal" Theres not much to be done to fix it if there isnt any fault codes, bullitens, or test plans for that particular problem. Since those are needed for pretty much any warranty covered work

Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JustanotherTech
I have yet to have someone want to retro the headlight washers so I have no input on that subject. but for the question, if its something you can duplicate pretty regularly, like the clutch knocking, have the tech come out to the car and show him with the door open. Just FYI, I think someone may hae said it earlier, but the knocking should hapen when you push the clutch pedal in and towards the door. It shouldnt happen when you press the pedal in and away from the door. Obviously the idle problem isnt something you can control so you would just have to get lucky ...

To be honest, I've noticed the idle problem on so many cars that I write it off as "normal" Theres not much to be done to fix it if there isnt any fault codes, bullitens, or test plans for that particular problem. Since those are needed for pretty much any warranty covered work
thank You again for interesting info. I only wish that dealer was 10 min away.. it is over 100 miles and almost 2 hrs driving so I cant just hop in car and be there right away :(

Old 09-10-2011, 11:14 PM
AdrenaliNate
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear they couldn't replicate your issues but it's somewhat comforting to hear that some of what you've been experiencing may be "normal".

Since we've been experiencing some of the same issues (squeaky window and clutch and missing plumbing for headlight washers) I just wanted to throw out there that I haven't had any knocking from the clutch (just squeaks) but Justanothertech is right about the clutch swinging close to the slave cylinder. I did get under the dash today and greased the clutch spring and the pivot arm for another cylinder on the clutch...adios squeak!

Good luck with the others.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:04 PM
cub4bearindiana
3rd Gear
sooooo I finally got my car back.. It has been LOOONG 5 weeks. Non of the issues were fixed... non of them could be duplicated..
However, I got brand new headlights with black housing (just like it supposed to be from beginning by what window sticker said).. Lights took the rest 4 weeks, due to poor communications from Mini USA (manager level)... with me and finally two different dealers.. dealer where I bought my car (250 mi away).. and dealer where my car was getting fixed (110 mi). So, for all that time Mini USA, 2 dealers, 2 regional reps and finally me worked out brand new black headlights and I was able to get 3M bra on them as well, since my silver lights had it on as well.

Washers still dont work, since supposedly my car did not have that option ordered. I can deal with that.. Due to not working washers I was able to get the correct lights.. now it does look the right way

Squeaky clutch is not there any longer since it is cold outside and it only appears while warm outside. I was able to "play" with the clutch little bit and agree! I can feel "knock" while pressing IN towards door side..
Wish I remembered that when I was still at dealer.. I may bring it to their attention when I will bring my car next time (HOPE I DONT HAVE TO!)...

For all that time I was using loner Mini Cooper BASE model..

Overall I am happy. End of story

Quick Reply: Dealer CAN'T reproduce my idle and clutch problems! So typical.