Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Passenger seat occupancy sensor SRS light? No more!!!!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:13 AM
tbearmini
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is that part even available anymore - thought you had to buy the whole seat cover? I always wondered if a BMW seat sensor would work for a mini.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:36 AM
MadisonKobalt
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure about the one ddmtuning has. Call them they should be able to answer the question. In BMW parts it is only listed as part of the lower seat assembly. No way I could see to order just the sensor matt.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...81&hg=52&fg=10

Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 AM
wilmjs
Neutral
I'm having the same problem with the passenger warning lights and seat sensor, is anyone out their filing or know of a class action law suit over this pre-existing failure prone part issue with BMW or MINI, seems like their should be.

Old 10-01-2013, 10:33 AM
MadisonKobalt
2nd Gear
I do not know of any existing class action law suit over the OC3 matt failure. Most of us have either sucked it up, Fixed/Disabled it ourselves or been lucky appealing to our motoring service advisor.
BMW in my opinion has been pretty slow to respond to litigation attempts. If they do it will likely be some small out of court settlement no one will hear about due to disclosure restrictions.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:05 AM
copterguy
Neutral
Just purchased an 06 Mini with the airbag light on and found that it's the sensor. I've been searching the net for a sensor emulator, but nothing for 06 and up, and according to this thread, nothing has been working other than the NCS Expert fix, where, I've no idea where to acquire the software, nor the idiots guide to program the fix. I'd like to bring this thread back to life if anyone has found the fix other than the "Stealership" option, which here in Hawaii, is very true to the phrase as a total rip off. I notice the images from the original post on this thread are gone. a youtube vid showing how it's done would be wonderful..hint hint.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:10 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by copterguy
according to this thread, nothing has been working other than the NCS Expert fix
Confirmed. Only a software fix is possible.
Originally Posted by copterguy
I've no idea where to acquire the software, nor the idiots guide to program the fix.
Try here to get the SW going. It's not going to be a walk in the park. Then NCS is another subject. If you want the walk in the park fix, take it to the dealer and bend over.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...nwards-t74608/

Old 11-27-2013, 10:24 AM
copterguy
Neutral
Thanks

Well, thanks for the quick reply and info. I suppose I will enjoy my airbag light a little longer. I've fiddled with coding before on my mercedes, and ended up having to send in the ECU for reflashing. Now gun shy, but won't take it to stealership, ever.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:30 AM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Start off getting INPA working. It's reasonably safe for the newly with size 11 shoes. You can be sure you are reading only as the read and write sections are intentionally separate.

Just don't go AIRBAG>ACTIVATE>DETONATE and be surprised when you get exactly that, and it all should be gravy.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:32 AM
meetch
1st Gear
I had the same issue when I purchased my used but new to me 2006 MCS... I researched bypass modules and program mods.. After all the headaches and dead ends I took a fellow members advice and just started searching for someone parting out an 05-06 MC. Took me about a month of looking, I also posted a WTB ad requesting the seat sensor and gave the option to just buy the entire passenger seat. I was finally able to locate a person willing to put in some time to dismantle the seat and sell just the sensor mat for an excellent price.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2014, 04:20 PM
deputydog95
2nd Gear
For those that have taken the seat apart to replace the mat, how involved was that? Did you have to take the upholstery off the seat bottom?

The reason I ask is that I just bought an 06 S from a mini dealer and they did the sensor matt prior to delivery. The previous owner had done a custom leather interior and now the passenger seat bottom doesn't look like it quite fits right now.

So I'm wondering if they didn't put it back correctly during the install, or if that's just the way it was to begin with.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM
deputydog95
2nd Gear
Old 01-02-2014, 05:50 PM
Sp4rtan
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty representative. You will have to take the seat out, you will have to remove a variety of plastic trim pieces and you will have to remove the full lower seat cushion cover. If you have the correct mat, replacing it is pretty simple, but you might want to use some really good two-sided tape at the rear corners so you don't get those little lumps that we all have. I found it necessary to relieve the foam a bit in places to get the mat to lie flat. If you are experienced, and have all the right tools to hand I imagine you could do it in a couple of hours. If you are moderately handy, patient and careful, I would allow a full day. If you are ham-handed, don't try it - trim and upholstery are easy to screw up.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:17 PM
deputydog95
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sp4rtan
Yeah, that's pretty representative. You will have to take the seat out, you will have to remove a variety of plastic trim pieces and you will have to remove the full lower seat cushion cover. If you have the correct mat, replacing it is pretty simple, but you might want to use some really good two-sided tape at the rear corners so you don't get those little lumps that we all have. I found it necessary to relieve the foam a bit in places to get the mat to lie flat. If you are experienced, and have all the right tools to hand I imagine you could do it in a couple of hours. If you are moderately handy, patient and careful, I would allow a full day. If you are ham-handed, don't try it - trim and upholstery are easy to screw up.
I'm having the dealer do it in the morning. They replaced the sensor prior to delivery but messed up the reinstall of the seat parts and now the passenger seat looks like crap. So... I'm having them take it apart and make it right.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:38 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks to the members who figured this out I was able to get rid of the airbag light having a friend follow the instructions listed and disconnecting the battery and the mat sensor plug under the seat.
As posted before it does work and I'm sooo happy that I can't stop looking at my speedo with no lights on :-)

disabled the OC3_1 and OC3_2 in the ABG module with NCS Expert and unplugged the seat mat sensor

then cleared the codes. No more SRS light.

Thanks to all the helpful posts

Old 03-15-2014, 06:21 PM
husabeast
Neutral
BMW seat mat recall

BMW has recalled the seat mat sensors on model years similar to Mini's with the same failure.
RECALL Subject : Front Seat Occupant Protection Mat

Report Receipt Date: NOV 12, 2013
NHTSA Campaign Number: 13V564000
Component(s): AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 76,565
Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:
BMW of North America LLC (BMW) is recalling certain model year 2006 325i, 325xi, 330i, 330xi sedans and 325xi sports wagons, model year 2007 328i, 328xi, 335i, 335xi sedans and 328i and 328xi sports wagons, model year 2006-2007 525i, 525xi, 530i, 530xi, 550i sedans and 530xi sports wagons, model year 2006 760i sedans, model year 2006-2007 750i, 750Li, and 760Li sedans, and model year 2006 X5 sports activity vehicles, equipped with certain seat types. The front passenger seat occupant detection mat that determines if and how the passenger frontal air bag should deploy in a crash may fatigue and develop cracks which could lead to a system failure.

CONSEQUENCE:
Should the system fail, in the event of a crash, the front passenger air bag would be deactivated, increasing the risk of personal injury.

REMEDY:
BMW will notify owners with an interim notification letter in January 2014 since parts are not currently available. When parts are available, anticipated to be in March 2014, BMW will send a second letter and dealers will repair the occupant detection mat to eliminate the possibility that it may crack, free of charge. Additionally, owners of model year 2006-2007 3 Series with standard seats, 5 Series with comfort seats, and Z4 models, will receive an extended warranty on their front passenger seat occupant detection mat. Owners may contact BMW customer relations at 1-800-525-7417 or email BMW at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 PM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Yes but not MINI

Yes, BMW has a recall on the seat mat sensors that are bad and maybe even with the same part numbers as with the MINI but they are not including MINI. They are dogs (no offense Spot).

Old 04-08-2014, 04:31 AM
MadisonKobalt
2nd Gear
You can purchase the software from
amazon amazon
or find it on several file sharing sites. See https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/electrical/208843-the-complete-ncs-expert-diy.html. You will need a computer and OBD cable which connects the computer and OBD port to each other. Good Luck.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:41 AM
MadisonKobalt
2nd Gear
See NAM Thread. You can purchase the software from
Amazon Amazon
or get form several file sharing sites if so inclined. The Cable to link up is available all over the web. You may also wish to review this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1800496-Dummies-Guide-to-Basic-coding-with-NCS-Expert.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:29 AM
orbeamike
1st Gear
As an owner of a US spec. 2005 Cooper S. I have had to deal with a broken passenger seat sensor for the past few years. Just last week I decided to order the seat sensor emulator from an online ebay retailer and had it installed.
The emulator works and the warning lights are off
the kit also comes with a resistor to short the seat belt warning chime so it stays quiet.

This is definitely a worthwhile purchase/fix for people not wanting to modify the software.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by orbeamike
Just last week I decided to order the seat sensor emulator from an online ebay retailer and had it installed.
The emulator works and the warning lights are off
Can you provide a link, or name of the vendor? Some have tried emulators in the past but they haven't worked. This is a big step forward if you found one that actually works.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rkw
Can you provide a link, or name of the vendor? Some have tried emulators in the past but they haven't worked. This is a big step forward if you found one that actually works.
+1 I wonder if it is the same vendor from Ireland maybe he fixed his product. A link will help lots of people for sure. Thanks in advance

Old 04-30-2014, 03:19 PM
orbeamike
1st Gear
It is the retailer from Ireland, I bought the seat mat emulator and the seat belt bypass. It turns out you only need to buy the seat mat emulator which includes a resistor to simulate the seat belt. The seat belt bypass I bought is designed for a BMW and not related to the MINI. I would read the entire listing and make sure you have the 3 wire plug under the seat as described.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161161656100...84.m1497.l2649

Mike

Old 05-01-2014, 01:31 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Please file a safety complaint with NHTSA

Hey,

Everybody who has had an issue with the passenger seat sensor mat, please file a complaint with the NHTSA.

BMW was forced to do a recall for the seat sensor on BMW models (which probably used the same sensor mats as MINI!).
http://wot.motortrend.com/bmw-recall...nsor-1923.html

MINI won't do anything unless there are enough complaints.
You can file a complaint online at safercar.gov (direct link).

Old 05-02-2014, 11:21 AM
KLMini
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
Hey,

Everybody who has had an issue with the passenger seat sensor mat, please file a complaint with the NHTSA.

BMW was forced to do a recall for the seat sensor on BMW models (which probably used the same sensor mats as MINI!).
http://wot.motortrend.com/bmw-recall...nsor-1923.html

MINI won't do anything unless there are enough complaints.
You can file a complaint online at safercar.gov (direct link).
Thank you for the link. I filed today for my 08 Mini JWC Conv. w/sport seats which has only 28K mileage.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:57 AM
aprilrain51
Coordinator:Arkansas MINI Owners Klub (AMOK)
I also have filed a complaint with NHTSA for my 05 MINI Cooper S for the airbag light coming on and off intermittently when someone is sitting in the seat. Also, I sent a email to MINI USA complaining about it. I did receive an email back telling me there has been no recall and offering no help. There are several auto makers currently recalling cars for all kinds of safety issues including air bag problems. MINI should take responsibility for this and fix our cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger seat occupancy sensor SRS light? No more!!!!