Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Passenger seat occupancy sensor SRS light? No more!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:48 AM
RocketUSA
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkw
They didn't start installing the weight sensor mat until January 2005...
OH. That makes sense and provides much needed clarity. This is the instrument cluster light, on the speedometer. I'm still not sure which one the overhead passenger airbag light is.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:52 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by RocketUSA
I'm still not sure which one the overhead passenger airbag light is.
In the panel with reading lights by the rear view mirror, a light labelled "Passenger airbag off". Your car might not have it without the newer airbag system.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:16 PM
56 Blue
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just called dealer. They have no information about recall or parts for recall. They said that they would put me on the list to phone when information is available...

looks like Mini/BMW is stalling.... must be saving money for diesel emissions fines...

Old 09-29-2015, 05:06 AM
coachvminis
4th Gear
Yep I have the 09' R56 Damn light has been on forever....
PITA yet another botched part made by BMW!!!
I'm trying this..
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Airbag-passen...127440&vxp=mtr

Old 10-11-2015, 01:39 PM
PsychoRallye
1st Gear
Anyone in NY lend me the stuff to deploy ram the sensor?

Just trying to get the car ship shape again.. I can clear the code (I have an Autel unit which will do it) but need to make the ECU ignore the mat... So it will always deploy.
Can anyone help or lend me the cable? I'll pay postage and return or. Whatever..
I'm in floral park ny...

Old 10-16-2015, 10:34 AM
armando95
1st Gear
6 months and no fixes yet? It's getting a bit ridiculous...

Old 10-16-2015, 11:35 AM
madmike007
4th Gear
I finally received my letter from MINI to schedule my appointment to replace the Front Passenger Seat Occupant Detection Mat Sensor. I'm scheduled for this week Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:56 AM
armando95
1st Gear
Originally Posted by madmike007
I finally received my letter from MINI to schedule my appointment to replace the Front Passenger Seat Occupant Detection Mat Sensor. I'm scheduled for this week Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.
Wow, awesome. I have checked my mail but haven't seen anything else so far. If you could give us an update/report on the fix that'd be great!

Old 10-19-2015, 10:36 AM
madmike007
4th Gear
Just got back from the MINI dealer. They replaced the sensor... FINALLY no more airbag light!

Old 10-19-2015, 10:45 AM
armando95
1st Gear
Originally Posted by madmike007
Just got back from the MINI dealer. They replaced the sensor... FINALLY no more airbag light!
Awesome, good for you. You inspired me to call/bug them again and this time they scheduled me in for Wednesday!

Old 10-19-2015, 03:17 PM
madmike007
4th Gear
Originally Posted by armando95
Awesome, good for you. You inspired me to call/bug them again and this time they scheduled me in for Wednesday!
Nice to know they will take your service appointment without the 2nd notice.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:23 PM
KrisMiss
2nd Gear
I don't have the letter either. I'm scheduled for the 30th.
Woop woop.

How long does it take to fix? They asked me if I had another ride or would need shuttle service.

The following users liked this post:
thebmwnut (11-27-2018)
Old 10-21-2015, 01:50 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
anyone done this recall without undoing the AC3 coding change? Curious as to what they will say if the car does not behave as expected.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:43 AM
armando95
1st Gear
All fixed no more light. I dropped of Wednesday morning and picked up Friday morning (it was actually ready Thursday evening but it's a long drive for me). The guy mentioned they were ordering the part overnight. Not sure why they'd wait until I drop off before ordering but I didn't care since I got a loaner to use.

Nick Alexander Mini in South LA took great care of me considering I never bought from them.

Good luck everyone !

Old 10-31-2015, 09:41 AM
KrisMiss
2nd Gear
Mine got fixed yesterday.
Took almost 2 hours.

So good to not see that light anymore.

Old 10-31-2015, 11:24 AM
PsychoRallye
1st Gear
Hey did i miss something? Did you guys pay for the sensor replacement or is there a recall campaign? Can you give me the details? I wouldn't have gotten a letter I'm not the registered owner yet...

Old 10-31-2015, 12:40 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychoRallye
Hey did i miss something? Did you guys pay for the sensor replacement or is there a recall campaign? Can you give me the details? I wouldn't have gotten a letter I'm not the registered owner yet...
There is an NHTSA safety recall. See post #170 for details. You can check here to see if applies to your car: http://www.miniusa.com/content/miniu...rt/recall.html

Old 04-07-2016, 10:50 AM
miss177ary
Neutral
Worked for 2004 BMW X3

I followed the lead of:

Old 06-29-2011, 06:20 PM
Neutral

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I also was able to get rid of the SRS light following Firehawks lead.

This does work people.

I disabled the OC3_1 and OC3_2 in the ABG module with NCS Expert and unplugged the seat mat sensor

then cleared the codes. No more SRS light.

I've spend countless hours to try to figure this out. If you get a "JOB Error-ECU REJECTED ERROR" instead of "OKAY" its most likely cause you didnt unplug the seat mat sensor. Noone could tell me this.

Basically coded the OC3_1 and OC3_2 to nicht aktiv in the ABG module with NCS Expert while mat sensor was plugged in then after coding, I unplugged the mat senor and clear the codes. NO more airbag light on dash or the passenger seat airbag on top was not lit any more. Test drove, turn car on and off and seems to be working great! Thanks for the fix! NO more airbag light!

Previously I tried the ebay emulators bypass, did not work because of my Can system and it would lock me out of my car and remotes would stop working. Was able to return and after much much research and purchasing the OB2 cord and software from Ebay was able to fix through the coding.

I hope this helps, it does take time to learn the coding but once you have it down its fairly simple to code other things.

Also I have the 3 wire seat occupancy mat ( I had the error code 70) not the blue and white 2 wire mat. I think having the 3 wire (brown, red, white) mat coding was the best option to help get rid of the airbag light without having to pay for new mat. I am not responsible for anyone that tries this, I am just giving my experience and what I did in hopes to help someone else with the same issue. It has taken me 2 months to figure it out.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Frixos
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
R56 with light

So here I am with my R56 with the airbag light and no recall...

I just submitted my complaint with the link provided earlier:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

and encourage everyone to do the same!! Hopefully MINI will eventually include 2nd Gen MINIs.

Even if I wanted to get this fix now, I would be unable to. My independent Mini guy said that the seat is on backorder. I guess they're still busy with the recall?

Old 07-14-2016, 12:15 PM
rdelar01
3rd Gear
I finally went to Braman MINI in Miami to have the recall worked on. They ended up replacing the sensor mat, but not able to reset the warning light in the Speedo or the one by the Top controls. Apparently the "sensor module" is not covered by the recall and I have to live with the warning lights.

Old 11-24-2017, 01:25 PM
dethbrd
2nd Gear
heres my update to this thread

ive had my car to mini dealer a few times since i bought it to check out why the airbag light, the reduced power light, the check engine light, and the seatbelt warning light was on

the only thing they ever came up with as a cause for any of it was the recirculation valve on the turbo.

they always cleared the lights and said the problem could not be found

now that the car has 145k miles on it, and i have purchased a k-can cable and figured out how to use ncs expert and inpa, mini usa and the dealer both say they will not help me in any way with the seat occupancy mat or the hpfp.

so i read all the threads i could find here and dove into it determined to rid my wifes 2009 r56 of dash warning lights

i was able to clear the airbag codes with inpa, then switch to ncsexpert and read the mrs6 module in the car. i then used ncs dummy to modify and export the trace file back to ncse and write the new file back to the module. i did unplug the passenger seat mat first.

since all of the pics of the passenger seat mat are gone from these threads, the hardest part was being sure which plug to remove. i took pics so maybe someone else might have an easier time with this.

my module only had the 0c3 option not the 0c3_1 and 0c3_3 options

i unactivated the 0c3 option

after writing the file back to the module i closed ncsdummy and nsce, opened inpa and cleared the codes again. i checked the codes one last time and no codes were present.

i started the car and all of the airbag warning lights went out.

the seatbelt warning on the top of speedo did not go out, but it works for both belts, so it went out as soon as i hooked up the drivers belt

i also made a few other changes while i was in there: fogs and high beams at same time, opening and closing of windows and closing of sunroof with remote. disabled all audible seatbelt warnings, and enabled red heartbeat leds on tach when locked

Old 09-28-2018, 05:36 AM
vid401t
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Guys,

Sorry for digging up this old but extremely useful thread.
My wife has a 2012 All4 Countryman that's getting the "Passenger Restraint Malfunction" error intermittently.
It's even worst because she has navigation and the error pops up constantly overwriting her whole screen.

I read through this thread and used NCSExpert to try to disable OC3 from the ABG module. but saw that it was already set on nicht aktiv.

So what I tried:
- disconnected airbag mat plug, cleared codes with INPA, upon starting the car, I get the PRM error right away
- plugged airbag mat plug back in, cleared codes again, ran NCEXpert just to see what value it gave for OC3, still showed nicht aktiv

So OC3 is already disabled before I did anything, and I tried disconnecting the mat, how do I tell the car to ignore the mat and have the passenger airbags always on?
I only see one OC3 setting, should I be disabling anything else?

Appreciate any assistance.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:02 AM
ptkacik
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Even though the exact same sensor failed on BMW's and they were covered under a recall, MINI didn't cover it so I did the same NCS Expert thing to make it go away.

Then I got a letter saying it was covered and they replaced it for free. However, the dealer couldn't undo the Nicht Activ command and said they would contact Germany to figure it out. I switched it back to ACTIV myself that night and it's been fine ever since.

Contact them and see if they will do it for you.

Peter

Old 09-28-2018, 11:11 AM
cccplus
4th Gear
Originally Posted by vid401t
Hey Guys,

Sorry for digging up this old but extremely useful thread.
My wife has a 2012 All4 Countryman that's getting the "Passenger Restraint Malfunction" error intermittently.
It's even worst because she has navigation and the error pops up constantly overwriting her whole screen.

I read through this thread and used NCSExpert to try to disable OC3 from the ABG module. but saw that it was already set on nicht aktiv.

So what I tried:
- disconnected airbag mat plug, cleared codes with INPA, upon starting the car, I get the PRM error right away
- plugged airbag mat plug back in, cleared codes again, ran NCEXpert just to see what value it gave for OC3, still showed nicht aktiv

So OC3 is already disabled before I did anything, and I tried disconnecting the mat, how do I tell the car to ignore the mat and have the passenger airbags always on?
I only see one OC3 setting, should I be disabling anything else?

Appreciate any assistance.
There's an extended warranty issued for this; so try checking with your MINI dealer to see if you vin# is covered under the extension. My buddy 2009 r56 was covered under it's 10yr/100k miles extension.

Old 10-03-2018, 11:46 AM
vid401t
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys,

I never got a letter, but I took both your advice and called Mini and provided my VIN. Unfortunately they said it was not covered, the only thing was the water pump and something else.

So now I'm back to NCSExpert to try to disable this thing.
It looks like it's always on now even when I just start the car, whereas before some weight would be needed on the passenger side to trigger it.

Here's hoping someone else maybe able to clue me on what I'm doing wrong.

Quick Reply: Passenger seat occupancy sensor SRS light? No more!!!!