Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Fuse for radiator fan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:13 PM
cucho
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse for radiator fan?

This week the radiator fan keept on working even after I turned off the ignition. Of course it ended up eating the whole battery up.

My guess is that the fuse for the fan is malfuntioning and needs replacing, so I got the engine fuse box out but now I do not know which fuse to replace? can anyone tell me which is the fuse that I need to replace?

Thanks!

Hernan

Old 04-09-2011, 02:00 PM
bmwboyee
2nd Gear
had the same problem last night. Pulled the large fuse to shut it off. Look under your cover and it will show you which one it is. I think it is a 50 (box) fuse.

It isn't the fuse that needs to be replaced. It is your whole fan assembly.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:22 PM
cucho
3rd Gear
Woow not what I wanted to hear...before I swa your reply I replaced what I thought was the right fuse (30 AMP) and then attempted to jumped started the car and nothing..it did not hold the charge???? any thoughts?

Old 04-09-2011, 02:38 PM
DAVESTER
4th Gear
I'm reading that your battery completely discharged. A jump start will not work until you have the battery charged up and hope it will hold a charge. There is a plug under the bonnet on the drivers side in front by the edge of the radiator. There is a bracket holding the harness. After you shut off the engine, unplug the fan and it will stop turning. I'm afraid you will need a new radiator fan.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:44 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
sadly you may need to become familiar with

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-solution.html

when the resistor pack of the fan controller goes bad the fan will run and run and run and run . . . and that is a part that is only replaced by replacing the entire fan assembly according to the factory.

p.s.

drivers side - near the rad' look for an electrical connector where you can cut power to the fan ... a little easier that disconnecting the battery everytime you park as I did for a time . . .

Old 04-09-2011, 02:48 PM
bmwboyee
2nd Gear
Old 04-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Rich.Wolfson
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
..when the resistor pack of the fan controller goes bad the fan will run and run and run and run . . . and that is a part that is only replaced by replacing the entire fan assembly according to the factory.
No. If the resister is bad then there is no low speed. The only thing that can keep the fan on after the car is off is the relay. On the later models the relay is in the fusebox and easily replaced. On the '02, '03 and some '04s the relay is on the fan assembly. I always found that if I tapped it the fan shut off and many times it didn't happen again for a while until I had the fan assembly replaced.

Also, that relay is replaceable so if it is bad and your resister is still good (unlikely but a possibility) then it can be replaced without a new fan assembly. But it still is the same labor so you should consider the fan anyway.

But again, if the resister is bad, then there is no low speed. Fan runs on, that is the relay.

Rich

Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 PM
FreeHUG
1st Gear
so how to test is relay/fuse problem or not? if is relay or fuse is easy to replace just plug in fuse box, i have same problem just for last week( the radiator fan keept on working even after I turned off the ignition)

Old 04-13-2011, 06:15 PM
bmwboyee
2nd Gear
guys, this is NOT a fuse problem.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 PM
cucho
3rd Gear
According to the mechanic at the dealer the whole fan assembly needs to be replaced to get rid of the problem. On the other hand, I have seen in other blogs that a quick temporary fix will be to TAP into the fan relay box to open it up?? it might work but I will just go ahead and get the part replaced.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
The dealer will always reccomend replacing a part rated than repairing it....
a stuck relay is a pretty minor issue...simple to fix..
On a hot day, the fan may run for a few minutes after the car is turned off...the fan will then shut off....if the fan runs till a GOOD BATTERY is completly discharged, then there is an issue....
If the low speed on the resistor fails, then as corrected earlier, the fan will function on hi normally, and will turn off propperly (low speed will not work, the car will run HOT, the a/c may fail) get it fixed.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:03 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
From an educational perspective.....
a fuse only works as a current limiter....it will burn out if an item tries to use more current than the item should use, protecting the wiring and preventing a fire.
A relay is kind of like a light switch...a low power scource ....like a low amp switch or electronic sensor sends a small current to a electro-magnet, which open/closes a switch, allowing a much larger current to flow.
Overtime, relays can get sticky from corrosion or wear on the contacts....and fuses can get weak or fail....causing current to stop flowing. A properly sized fuse is important....but it cannot make an item run if....it is simply acts as a gate on the wire to limit the amount of current that can flow at the max level....never more.