Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Infamous 2005 airbag light problem/question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Mr. Steezy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infamous 2005 airbag light problem/question

Hello all,

I'm just starting a new thread just to see if I can get some straight forward answers, I've been reading countless threads for the past few hours on various mini sites but I've yet to get a straight answer so if you awesome guys(maybe gals) could provide some help I'd appreciate it.

My 2005 Hyper Blue Cooper S has a problem with the airbag light which I'm almost sure has to do with the sensor in the passenger seat. It would go in and out intermittently whenever my friend would sit in it but recently it's just staying on. I've heard that this is a costly thing to replace and simply put, I want to avoid paying an arm and a leg just to get this thing through VA inspection.

I've read that you can use simple resistors from radioshack to basically trip the system up into thinking everything is fine so the light doesn't come on.
I've ALSO read though that this only works in coopers up to year 04 and years 05 and 06 are SOL.

Is this true? Or is there anything else you can do just to get rid of that dang light? At this point, whether or not the airbags function does not matter to me, I just need to get this car through inspection or get that light taken care of so I can trade the car in somewhere and get rid of it.

I've heard that you can take apart the tach and just unplug the bulb so the light never illuminates but I honestly don't feel like dealing with all that if I can just do something else that requires less work.

If you don't want to post a said fix in this thread because it's technically not allowed or whatever please feel free to PM me.

Thanks guys,

Old 04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
mywifeisgoingtokillme!
1st Gear
my car at dealer now

I have 2002 with the same problem. at the dealer now!!! dealer did not want to pay until I called MINI and got this info. should be covered under warrenty...

Check out the attached file here with TSB number you will need...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...1&d=1302033758

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tsb.pdf (3.78 MB, 528 views)
Old 04-05-2011, 01:18 PM
Mr. Steezy
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mywifeisgoingtokillme!
I have 2002 with the same problem. at the dealer now!!! dealer did not want to pay until I called MINI and got this info. should be covered under warrenty...

Check out the attached file here with TSB number you will need...

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...1&d=1302033758
Wow thanks a lot man,
not that I don't believe in you or anything, but does anyone else have any experience with this issue? I know 2005 was a specific year in which is what some pressure sensor in the actual seat or something and this bulletin seems like it has to do with the actual connectors being stretched at the bottom of the seat.

I'm definitely going to give this a try but am still open to any other comments or experiences

Thanks again though for replying this is definitely the most valuable PDF i've viewed all week :D

Old 04-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Mr. Steezy
1st Gear
Actually, I misread this at first, it appears this bulletin only applies to MINI's up until year 2003, so its awesome that you were able to use it to get your problem fixed but mine is a year 2005.

Thanks though,

Old 05-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Abbienormal
Neutral
2005 models need this also

I got all excited about this also but mine also is a 2005. Funny how they "fixed it" for 2003 and earlier yet a lot of us with newer models have the identical problem.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:25 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Abbienormal
Funny how they "fixed it" for 2003 and earlier yet a lot of us with newer models have the identical problem.
No, they are completely different problems. The only similarity is that the airbag light turns on.

The 2005+ problem is caused by a malfunctioning weight sensor seat pad. There was no such pad during 2002-2004 (it was added to meet new safety regulations). The older problem is a wiring/connector issue.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Abbienormal
Neutral
Still looking for a solution

I thank you for that info but I am still looking for a work around. I have owned this car 1 week and for the first 2 days no light. Then it became on sometimes when a passenger is present, not always. I looked under the seat and saw no loose wires. I even tried pushing them together tighter. An oddity I ran into the other day is I had some very light groceries and a gallon of milk on the seat while driving around. On left turns the light would come on and stay on till I made a right turn when it went out. I'd be happy if I could just tell the system somebody over 50 pounds was in the seat all the time. I have and ride no children. If I get in an accident and the airbag deploys needlessly my insurance gets to pay for it.

Rudy

Old 05-16-2011, 12:01 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
I haven't seen a successful workaround in the forums. I was lucky that my sensor pad was replaced under warranty when it started failing, but I'm not confident about its reliability. I've seen people post that they've had it replaced 2-3 times.

The pad has an electronic circuit board with a microprocessor that talks to the car computer on a digital bus. A simple resistor isn't enough to simulate the pad. Some people who installed aftermarket seats resorted to transferring the pad to their new seats. I haven't seen anybody examine how it actually fails, which would help towards developing a workaround.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:34 PM
firehawk618
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The pad has an electronic circuit board with a microprocessor that talks to the car computer on a digital bus. A simple resistor isn't enough to simulate the pad.

You my friend are absolutely correct. I'm going to tear into my car "05" to see what I can do to work around this.

I know for sure i'll end up dismantling the seat pad, removing whatever microprocessor is in there and tricking THAT into thinking there's a person in the seat.

Resistor to the plug under the seat does not work. 3 wires there. Power, ground and data bus. That's it and if you go sticking a resistor in the data bus wire, get ready for all kinds of goofy things to start happening in your car.

1 problem I see with my modify the microprocessor and that is if I trick it into thinking there's any passenger in the seat all the time then it'll also trigger the fasten seatbelt light / chime all the time unless I reach over and buckle the seatbelt.

I'm willing to live with that. I'd rather have my bags both deploy reguardless of whether or not anyones in the seat then have the passenger side not deploy at all.

If anyone decides to go this route do NOT ever let anyone ride in the passenger seat unless they're grown up enough to take a full blast from the airbag in the event of an accident.