Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

STUMBLE IS GONE!!! v.36 software actually works!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The latter, kenchan! I think that with my 05/03 software, the ECU iteration of throttle output was just plain loopy, but with the new CD36 software, I would say that the ECU interpretation/output of throttle control is much more refined and exact, yet I still think that it is slower from bottom to top. Does that make sense?

It almost feels like it's breathing differently. Before (with 5/03 software) it was gasping and hiccuping through a garden hose, and now it's taking great big clean breaths of pure oxygen but through a straw. And I mean this somewhat literally; I'm really feeling now like the car could massively benefit from a freeer flowing exhaust system than before...I dunno though.

Old 12-20-2003, 10:49 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
chitowncoop- thanks. ok, that'll probably make more sense if i
tried out the v36 and compared back to back. Ive yet to drive
other MCS with a more severe stumble so not sure how much more
improvement there will be from my current software to v36.

but i'll keep my eyes open and see how it goes.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:08 PM
minibrute
4th Gear
Got v36 flashed to my mcs today, no stumble or yoyo so far. I went out and drove the car 70 miles, went to spots were I experienced stumble every time and no sign of it. Take off and acceleration is very clean, the way I hoped it would be. I have an alta intake system and a 15% reduction pulley. The modifications had already greatly improved driveability, now it feeels complete. My total experience was good. I droped the car off at Habberstad mini early in the morning, got a cooper as a loaner. They called later in the day and asked me to come get my mcs back, to my surprise they even washed it. I'm very happy, my mcs is a keeper.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:54 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
Does anyone elase still have stumble on deceleration in 1st or 2nd at 1900 RPM??
I to got V 36 from NJ shipping- did wonders for stumble on takeoff- completely gone- Car feels normal on takeoff now-
However when i'm slowing down in either 1st or 2nd at exactly 1900 rpm car lurches/stumbles. (i.e. see red light ahead take while driving about 40- downshift to 2nd when tac hits 1900 car stumble even though foot is off gas- does same thing inheavy traffic in 1st- get up to 20 or so- then slow down with foot off gas and at 1900 rpm car stumbles- again with foot off of gas
I'm leary to take car into dealer to have them re install v 36 (since my ecu was sent to NJ) I don't want acceleration stumble to return while their trying to fix my deceleration issue. Anyone else have this? Please let me know- car is going in next monday- not sure if i should have them check it out.

Old 12-23-2003, 05:46 AM
Chitown_COOP
Someone claimed that this had something to do with fuel injection, and that it was pretty much unavoidable in modern cars...I don't know the validity of it, but yes, mine still does that with 36, but it doesn't seem as bad as before.

Old 12-23-2003, 06:18 AM
minibrute
4th Gear
bgrpph, why not go to newtral and use the brakes to stop. I do notice the car doing something like an automatic tranny changes speeds up or down as I reduce speed but not the same as stumbel. The stumble made the car feel like all systems shot down and back on quickly. I have a feeling our cars are always going to be a little quircky, I'm satisfied with v36. If your car isn't right you shold probably go back to your dealership and have their best tech take a ride with you and see what he says. Good luck to you, meawhile I would have to say to everyone who is still not sure if they should have their car flashed with v36 to go do it. I was worried based on what I was reading here but decided I would go for my own experience. I'm glad I did, it paid off.

Old 12-23-2003, 09:33 AM
gmack
3rd Gear
>>Does anyone elase still have stumble on deceleration in 1st or 2nd at 1900 RPM??
>>I to got V 36 from NJ shipping- did wonders for stumble on takeoff- completely gone- Car feels normal on takeoff now-
>> However when i'm slowing down in either 1st or 2nd at exactly 1900 rpm car lurches/stumbles. (i.e. see red light ahead take while driving about 40- downshift to 2nd when tac hits 1900 car stumble even though foot is off gas- does same thing inheavy traffic in 1st- get up to 20 or so- then slow down with foot off gas and at 1900 rpm car stumbles- again with foot off of gas
>> I'm leary to take car into dealer to have them re install v 36 (since my ecu was sent to NJ) I don't want acceleration stumble to return while their trying to fix my deceleration issue. Anyone else have this? Please let me know- car is going in next monday- not sure if i should have them check it out.
>>
That has been talked about and debated here. Some feel it is normal and expected, some disagree. I had a fuel injected Miata and VW new beetle, neither of which did it, or if they did it was unnoticable. I am not sure it has been named like the yo-yo and the stumble. Interstingly, after adding the pulley mine doesn't appear at 1,900 any more, it apears closer to 1,200. I don't tranny brake always, so it is possible I noticed that in 3rd gear. Although I would have thought the rpms would be the same.
I don't beleave reloading v36 will help this "feature".
I don't recall reading that this was introduced via a software update for another problem like the stumble. Is it possible you just never noticed before, my July 03 build did it when delivered.

Old 12-23-2003, 06:23 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
Thanks folks, just wanted to be sure others had same "bump" upon deceleration after V36- sounds like this is the case so i'll live with it- Its so nice not having stumble - i love what v36 did. agree with other posts- do it if you have stumble.

Old 12-24-2003, 01:42 AM
EBMCS03
4th Gear
Hahah Just got V.36 today and no stumble... at least i'm pretty sure there isnt... still jerks a tiny bit somtimes but I think thats just me not releasing the clutch properly cuz I always anticipate the jerk "stumble" and kinda hesitate on the clutch let up.

As for the hickup on deceleration in gear yes i still have that but that i can live with... its not that bad and doesnt annoy me so i dont really care... what i really wanted was to get rid of the stumble.

Old 12-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Mini-Max
Neutral
Howdy guys,

Max got his vitamin 36 shot! And ya know what? It don't stumble!! I will need to put a few tanks through him before finally putting this issue to bed, but it feels nice! Now a bit of theory on the fix. The original throttle feel was very instantaneous and it seemed as though when you where at about 7/8 throttle it was at full. This makes sense as the cars "fly by wire throttle" which is not directly connected to the throttle body) can do that when the computer tells the throttle body how far to open under the conditions. So I think (among gas and heat issues)that the computer would open the throttle too much and and choke itself on too much air to fuel for a second till the computor goes DOH! more fuel and it picks up. They fixed this I think with a much more linear throttle delivery and one that much more matches what you think your foot is asking for. Some have said they think they may be losing power a bit? You are if you have your foot in the same place as before the 36 update, you need to depress it a bit more and that is where it is It is just spead across a longer throw of the pedal. Its still all there(if maybe a bit more!) just need to get into it. Toe and healing is much more natural to as the instantaneous response before in the meat of the power band was hard to match and the first car I've had that didn't fall into place after a few hours in the car....but on the way home it was there now!
OK a few more !!!!!!!!!!! just for good measure. I feel good about this and love the cars throttle response now. Still a bit lackadaisical at low rpm but that is what the pulley is for!

Old 12-26-2003, 11:19 AM
coopersport
2nd Gear
I had the v. 36 software installed on 12/24. I think the previous descriptions of how the car feels are correct. It just seems a little more refined. I did not have much of a problem with the stumble before unless it was very hot out. However, my car has always had that nagging yo-yo acceleration in 2nd gear between 3000-4000 RPM. Guess what. It still does. I was hoping v.36 would get rid of it, but it's still there as much as it was before the upgrade. I don't know what causes it and I really do love driving my car, but it would be just that much better if the yo-yo was not there.

Old 12-30-2003, 03:27 PM
stew7710
1st Gear
I just had my '04 MCS upgraded to v36 in the hopes that it would resolve the yo-yo effect. After a week of ownership and 500 miles, I am not a satisfied customer.

The car felt ok when I left the dealership, I drove 100 miles of highway back to VA. Once I was back in stop and go traffic the symptoms returned. The yo-yoing may actually feel a little more violent at times and now seem to go from just under 3k to about 4.5k rpm.

I didn't pay MSRP plus inflated accessory pricing to not be satisfied. I do hope Mini comes up with an answer soon as I will not live with the yo-yo effect on a daily basis.

Old 12-30-2003, 07:31 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I'm with you stew7710, seems like now that v36 seems to have solved the stumble problem, there isn't much effort being directed towards solving the yoyo problem.

Old 01-07-2004, 10:32 AM
travelkids
3rd Gear
I have not found the answer to this question with a search, so can you all help out with this question. v36 update, is it being cover by warranty? Or are you all paying? If so, how much? Thanks. Better be warranty.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:20 AM
daniel1
3rd Gear

I just had mine done yesterday & it was covered under the warranty.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:26 AM
travelkids
3rd Gear
Thank you! How do you like it so far?>>
>>I just had mine done yesterday & it was covered under the warranty.

Old 01-07-2004, 11:28 AM
daniel1
3rd Gear

I immediately noticed the difference when I had to slow down at a toll booth. No more stumble!

Old 01-07-2004, 11:35 AM
KerMini
3rd Gear
Any of you know German?

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, home of 2 MINI dealerships. You'd think that these two dealerships that rank 7th and 9th in sales for 2003 would have the English version of 3.6 but from what I know so far that is not the case.

FYI: Texans don't just love pickups. Our state can claim 3 of the top 10 selling dealerships in the country for 2003! Yee ha!

Old 01-07-2004, 11:41 AM
coopstas
2nd Gear
I can't wait, I get mine back in 2 hours with v36 in it.And hopefully they fixed the trans too. [BAD THROWOUT BEARING]. I will post later tonight and let you know how it is. Keep your fingers crossed!

Rob :smile: :smile:

Old 01-07-2004, 12:24 PM
ZAKdog
4th Gear
has anyone WITHOUT the stumble flashed w V36?

I have an Aug 02 build with no problems...I'm wondering if it will improve performance anyway! My fear is that something would screw up!

Old 01-07-2004, 09:31 PM
coopstas
2nd Gear
Well i got it back and v36 WORKS GREAT .But i still have a noise coming from the pully area. I have read that some of the early 03 cars have had a bad batch of pully tesioner's. They did change the WATER PUMP today, saying that was the noise. I beg to differ. I guess i will have to make another 1 hour trip to the dealer. MINI you better get your act together soon.

Rob

Old 01-08-2004, 11:43 AM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So is the consensus that V36 really is the cure to the stumble issue? If i get it i will no longer have to watch my tach drop after a sec, while my foot is on the accelerator? As far as Yo-Yo i don't care, it doesnt bother me a bit. I need some concrete evidence before i pull the trigger on this one.

Oh and one more thing. I am planning on getting the GIAC or an equivalent remap, so i should get V36 first right? And then the GIAC or equivalent? Thanks

Old 01-08-2004, 11:52 AM
Chitown_COOP
Weaver, the answer to all of your questions is an emphatic "YES!"

Go get the update, and start enjoying your car again! :smile:

Old 01-08-2004, 12:33 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
If anyone has the stumble, go get the v36! There is no question about whether it will fix it or not. IT WILL.
It will not cure the yo-yo...MINI still needs to fix this........I hope.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Sideways
1st Gear
>>If anyone has the stumble, go get the v36! There is no question about whether it will fix it or not. IT WILL.
>>It will not cure the yo-yo...MINI still needs to fix this........I hope.

Just wanted to point out that the Yo-Yo was considerably improved, in my case. Maybe not 100% fixed, but better enough that I said to myself: "I didn't think my yo-yo was that bad, but this is *way* smoother." I don't think I'm the only one who noticed a yo-yo improvement.

No question obout the stumble - gone!

Quick Reply: STUMBLE IS GONE!!! v.36 software actually works!!