Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

STUMBLE IS GONE!!! v.36 software actually works!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 01:38 PM
KiLO
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just made my appointment to get the software upgraded. Yay!

Old 12-05-2003, 11:36 PM
retroom
4th Gear
My MC is going in for v36 update this Wednesday along with the 10K oil change.

retroom

Old 12-06-2003, 12:38 AM
jmoser
4th Gear
I have 18.5K miles and I'm driving 100 miles to get the v.36 flash....

Just another excuse to drive--plus I'll really get to feel the "before" and "afta"...
I'm due for new tires, and changing to non runflats also...I'm lookin forward to meeting my refined Mini...its a pulley next month....where'd she go?

Old 12-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Chief_Charlie
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone know the impact of v 36 being programmed into a car that has a JCW Kit? Will it over-write the JCW ECU changes?

I just purchased two MCS, one wiht a JCW. Since neither are broken in yet, I can't tell a lot of dfference between the two as far as acceleration is concerned.

I can't tell that I've got a an acceleration stumble, but I notice that there are times when the dual mass clutch seems to grab when letting it out, sometimes not. Is that in fact the dreaded STUMBLE?

But, I do have the deceleration "stumble" There's a "thunk" or lurch when the car coasts down in 2nd gear, slowing to a stop, and I think it's happening at 1900 rpm. Does v 36 address this?

Charlie

Old 12-06-2003, 10:08 PM
billyg
3rd Gear
not sure what version they install on my car....but it had to be download off the mini reps laptop because the dealer didn't have it as yet...but the car is stumble free...and drive much much better...thanks to Joe Chan from Mini Canada.....finally

Old 12-06-2003, 10:30 PM
SB
6th Gear
I'm heading to the dealer sometime this month for my 10k service. I'll be sure to ask for this version on my 5/03 build. :smile:

Old 12-07-2003, 09:34 PM
zgokart
5th Gear
>>My MC is going in for v36 update this Wednesday along with the 10K oil change.
>>
>>retroom

retroom:
I also have the MC but have had no problem (at least as far as I can determine) with the stumble or yo-yo. I've read many of the posts on this topic and thought it only applied to the MCS. Does your MC have the same problem? I'm wondering if I should leave well enough alone.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:05 AM
goin440
6th Gear
My Cooper 5spd *had* it. It stumbled in 1st and reverse---hard when cold. The revs would just drop and stutter, no reason, often killing itself (scary when pulling out in traffic). No, I did't launch in too low a rev. It would stutter the same even in neutral at times.

Friday I had service #2 done and requested the problem be re-looked at (requested during service #1 too but no update done :evil: ). v36 seems to have cured it so far, we'll see.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:17 AM
Redbird73
Coordinator :: St. Louis MINI Club
>>supermini- Deceleration stumble = downshift to 2nd when approaching light and with foot off gas watch tach drop from 4k to 3k to 2k- at 1900 rpm my car stumbles (feel a very noticeable lurch or hiccup). It will do same thing in 1st gear at 1900 rpm also. (its hard to do this in 3rd since one doesn't normally go this slow in 3rd gear without clutch in or downshifting)
>> Its funny i didn't notice the deceleration stumble much when i had it on taking off as the takeoff was so so annoying. Now that i don't have the acceleration stumble i'm more aware of the deceleration one (its not nearly as bad but car does lurch). I drove showroom 03 MCS (one an 03 build month one an 05) and both had accel & decel stumbles also.
>> My weather is never cold or hot. I'm in Hawaii so weather is constantly in 80's during day and rarely gets over 90 or under 70.
>>
>>

This is normal behavior for a fuel-injected car. When decelerating in gear, the injectors shut off almost all fuel flow to the engine, then at 1900 rpm or so they reengage to keep the engine running. I have seen several others on NAM describe this behavior. I wouldn't worry about it, it's saving you gas and not hurting the car.

Old 12-08-2003, 11:37 AM
minicoopermike
6th Gear
Yes, has anyone with a JCW received the new software upgrade? I don't have the stumble in my car and didn't even before the JCW but my dealer indicated they have the new software and they can upload it if I want it.

Old 12-08-2003, 10:53 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There is no reason to update software if you have no problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Seriously a lot of people that updated in the past found that with the new software their problem got worse ie stumble and cold start. (this was not v36 though)

Old 12-08-2003, 11:05 PM
retroom
4th Gear
>>>>My MC is going in for v36 update this Wednesday along with the 10K oil change.
>>>>
>>>>retroom
>>_______________
>>
>>retroom:
>>I also have the MC but have had no problem (at least as far as I can determine) with the stumble or yo-yo. I've read many of the posts on this topic and thought it only applied to the MCS. Does your MC have the same problem? I'm wondering if I should leave well enough alone.
>>

zgocart,
Yes, my MC does have the stumble but only on rare occasions. It has happened a couple of times as I'm making a sharp right pulling out of a parking lot into trafffic.... you know the way the driveway angles down and the road angles back up a little. I had my ECU updated to v33.3??? earlier this year because of cold start issues but no stumble.... and ever since the update I've noticed the stumble a few times, though it does not seem to be as intrusive as it is in an "S".

retroom

Old 12-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
SEE UPDATE ON FIRST POST.
****** :evil:

Old 12-09-2003, 09:41 AM
friedduck
4th Gear
>>Yes, my MC does have the stumble but only on rare occasions. It has happened a couple of times as I'm making a sharp right pulling out of a parking lot into trafffic.... you know the way the driveway angles down and the road angles back up a little.

This is very likely the DSC kicking in. The parking lot where I work is exactly as you describe, and the little beast's frame is rigid enough that one of the wheels comes off the ground. Unless I creep out, the DSC kicks in *every* time when it happens.

Turn it off & see if you don't agree. The light only flashes briefly, so if you're not looking at it you could easily miss it.

HTH, Jeff

Old 12-09-2003, 04:04 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Bisch... Do you have the CVT?

Old 12-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
>>Bisch... Do you have the CVT?

No. MCS...the dealer told me to try a can of dry gas...we'll see.

Old 12-10-2003, 02:49 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
^^ Well, that's about the last thing I want to hear, having just dropped off my MCS for a DME mailing/reprogramming.

Here's to hoping that it all works out smoothly...

Old 12-10-2003, 10:51 PM
retroom
4th Gear
>>>>Yes, my MC does have the stumble but only on rare occasions. It has happened a couple of times as I'm making a sharp right pulling out of a parking lot into trafffic.... you know the way the driveway angles down and the road angles back up a little.
>>
>>This is very likely the DSC kicking in. The parking lot where I work is exactly as you describe, and the little beast's frame is rigid enough that one of the wheels comes off the ground. Unless I creep out, the DSC kicks in *every* time when it happens.
>>
>>Turn it off & see if you don't agree. The light only flashes briefly, so if you're not looking at it you could easily miss it.
>>
>>HTH, Jeff

Good suggestion, tried turning off DSC didn't make a difference.

retroom

Old 12-10-2003, 11:00 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi i have an appointment tomorrow (thursday) and now im not sure if i should get the software flash or not. Some have good remarks some don't. I have the stumble. It is not severe but it is there. Some have said that it is fixed but it feels less "mean" so to speak and more "refined". Does this mean that it fixes the stumble but overall isn't going to increase your start time??? Thanks for responses.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:27 PM
ts55
Neutral
The only cars in North America now without fuel injection are in NASCAR. Fuel injection does not cause this problem.

Old 12-11-2003, 05:21 AM
MINISQL
3rd Gear
I had v36 loaded in last night and drove home in stop and go traffic. NO STUMBLE!!!! I went out and started MINISQL this morning (43F) and he started first crank! We will have to wait and see, but I think THE CURE IS HERE!

Old 12-11-2003, 10:16 AM
tschelling
Neutral
Has anyone with the new SW (36) noticed any increase in exhaust soot covering the back of the car or decrease in fuel mileage?

I'm seeing about 10% reduction and more blackness on the hatch. Could be a change in the fuels for winter but it seemed to coincide with the new SW for me....

Thanks,

Todd

Old 12-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Chitown_COOP
Coordinator :: Chicago MINI Motoring Club
Bisch,

What's your build date, and had you had any software updates BEFORE jumping to V.36? I have a nasty stumble, but I've never had idle fluctuations before on my MCS. Just wondering if the idle fluctuation could be unique to your car (i.e. mechanical) or perhaps your gas??

Please keep us informed of your progress...

Old 12-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
Chi-
My build is 05/03. The v.36 is the only update I have had done. The idle fluctuation was present prior to the flash. It was almost as though it run on three cylinders for a few seconds, then back to normal. Randy Webb witnessed it and said it was the first he had seen anything like it. Since the v.36, it is much more severe and frequent. I will try the dry gas as advised...

Old 12-11-2003, 12:44 PM
valnmike
2nd Gear
>>snip...I just fear change!

I can't say that I blame anyone for feeling that way. Look at all the so-called fixes we've been offered that in some cases made things worse. Thank you to all you brave souls who went and got the update and proof-tested it for us.

Quick Reply: STUMBLE IS GONE!!! v.36 software actually works!!