Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

STUMBLE IS GONE!!! v.36 software actually works!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 03:28 PM
Bisch
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, to preface this post, I was very sceptical that MINI actually had a "fix" in this software before I went to the dealer.
To my surprise, my SEVERE stumble (Randy Webb can attest) is completely gone!!!
I kid you not! I am so freakin excited! It went from driving like a tractor, to a refined and well tuned sports car. There is zero hesitation, sputter, hic-up, lag...just crisp, clean acceleration! I am not exagerating when I say it is an entirely new car now. It has the feel of a few extra ponies, but it could be because it runs/accelerates sooooooo clean. As far as the Yo-Yo...it is 90% gone. There is just a very slight sensation of the yo-yo. My idle is clean now, with no threat of stalling at a light. (idle is even a tad lower now)

UPDATE!!!!!******UPDATE*****!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!** ***

MY IDLE PROBLEM IS BACK, BUT WORSE!!! While sitting at idle, the car nearly stalls out. It does this about every other stop to idle. It requires you to float the throttle to clean-up the idle. Anyone else with v.36 Have this? I have about 400 miles on the v.36...This could be just winter gas/water in tank.

Oh, I also had them program the delayed shut-off feature on the headlights! Now they will stay on 40 seconds after I shut off the car. No more stumbling in the dark either!

Old 12-03-2003, 03:55 PM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
I just got v.36 myself this week...and it does feel like a new car. I'll be interested to see if the fix maintains itself (as previous versions worked for a few days, then reverted to their bad habits). I'll also be interested to see if it maintains itself in warm weather...which we're far from here in DC.

Until then, I LOVE v.36. Smoooooth!

I'll add this to the stumble thread tacked to the top of the forum...

Fingers crossed!

Old 12-03-2003, 05:32 PM
Herby74
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had v36 loaded on Oct. 16 after living with the stumble for 13 months. I remain
convinced after 1,500 wonderful miles that it is gone forever. Happy motoring!

Old 12-03-2003, 05:43 PM
ecl3x
3rd Gear
remind me again..i cannot keep track of all the topics. this stumble only affect mcs with manual transmission right?

i am picking up my regular cooper with automatic tomorrow.. it has finally arrived :smile: :smile:

wish me luck

Old 12-03-2003, 08:13 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
I had ECU sent to NJ few weeks ago, severe stumble at 1900 rpm on take off completely gone in my 03 MCS-YES !

But it did nothing to fix the stumble at 1900 when decelerating in 2nd or 1st - Does yours still have this or was that fixed also?? Drove 3 MCS off showroom and all had both acceleration and deceleration stumble at 1900. I'm very happy to be able to take off from stop without stumble but of course now notice the deceleration issue every day.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:01 AM
Super_MINI
4th Gear
>>I had ECU sent to NJ few weeks ago, severe stumble at 1900 rpm on take off completely gone in my 03 MCS-YES !
>>
>>But it did nothing to fix the stumble at 1900 when decelerating in 2nd or 1st - Does yours still have this or was that fixed also?? Drove 3 MCS off showroom and all had both acceleration and deceleration stumble at 1900. I'm very happy to be able to take off from stop without stumble but of course now notice the deceleration issue every day.

How do you get the deceleration stumble at 1900 RPM? Can you expain how I could try and recreate this on my MCS? I have the Acceleration stumble but I've never noticed any stumble upon deceleration, but at the same time I don't think I ever leave the clutch engaged while decerating below 2000 RPM. I think the stumble you feel during deceleration may be just the transistion point of when the car is spinning the engine and when the engine catches up.?

Old 12-04-2003, 07:36 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
I don't find a stumble anywhere.

Oh, my cold starts are so quick and clean now....turn the key and you get an immediate "ba-vooom". Less than half the usual crank time. It's so cool. :smile:

As I was leaving the dealer, I was talking to my service tech (un-named) about getting my hands on a JCW version flash and other aftermarket flashes...he responded with a wink and snicker and said "just go drive it, you might just find that you will be very happy with this version."

Old 12-04-2003, 07:59 AM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
the 1900 stumble, i think is if you leave the rpm's at 1900, you notice a loss in power shifting to 2nd gear. but if you give it more gas it will go.

i may be wrong, my gf's cooper manual had the stumble for aout 8 months, and now it's a blast to drive.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:01 AM
sambusik
6th Gear
Is v.36 widely available at all dealers now?

Old 12-04-2003, 08:11 AM
no_affiliation
5th Gear
yea the cd's were supposed to be received in dec.

Old 12-04-2003, 09:15 AM
gwvt2
1st Gear
>As I was leaving the dealer, I was talking to my service tech (un-named) about >getting my hands on a JCW version flash and other aftermarket flashes...he >responded with a wink and snicker and said "just go drive it, you might just find >that you will be very happy with this version."

Ok I have to ask...Is V 36 close to the JCW flash or did they give you the JCW to you to solve the stumble problem.

I don't mean to pry but I don't want to go demading things from my dealer until I am sure what I am demanding :smile:

Any way you cut it there is new hope and I am happy!

Old 12-04-2003, 09:52 AM
Bisch
6th Gear

>>
>>Ok I have to ask...Is V 36 close to the JCW flash or did they give you the JCW to you to solve the stumble problem.

The flash was the v.36. Not the JCW. I cannot make the comparison to the JCW version, as I have not used it. But, I will say that the v.36 surely gives me better overall performance/drivability. It definately feels faster and smoother. Clear as day.
:smile:

Old 12-04-2003, 10:12 AM
jsun
6th Gear
I just came back from my dealer where I had the 25K service and my software reflashed w/ CD36. I definitely had the stumble before...actually had it get worse at my last software upgrade (32 to 33). I'm glad to report that with this new flash, it seems to be gone entirely. The car (8/02 MCS, only mod = Plio intake) launches like an entirely different car. Totally smooth, with no trace of the "grab" or stumble previously experienced at about 3000rpm.

That said, I don't feel any seat-of-the-pants power increases. In fact, the car feels a bit breathless when launching...no stumble, but sort of weak. Kind of like starting out in second gear (kinda...I need to experience this more to describe it better). Once underway though it seems to have as much power as before. Again, all of this is pure conjecture since I have not actually measured power in any objective way.

I'll want to watch this closely. In the past, my previous software upgrades have worked for a while and then ended up after a couple of hundred miles being worse (i.e., bigger stumble, worse cold starting) than before the upgrade. So, if this one holds for more than 500 miles, I'll pronounce it a true fix.

Bring Out the Scoops!

Old 12-04-2003, 10:38 AM
erik808
6th Gear
Does this upgrade apply to all models? [I have a CVT.] Thanks, gang!

*ecl3x: CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING YOURS TODAY

Old 12-04-2003, 10:41 AM
Bisch
6th Gear
I do believe it only applies to MCS.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:06 AM
erik808
6th Gear
>>I do believe it only applies to MCS.

===>Thanks a lot, Bisch!! Have a great day

Old 12-04-2003, 04:08 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Wa-hooooooo! Ollie gets his brains shipped to NJ on Wednesday!!!! And after reading this thread, I don't care if they give me a 1989 Mecury Cougar as a loaner car!

So glad to hear that V36 seems to be working--CONGRATULATIONS, STUMBLERS!!!

Old 12-04-2003, 07:50 PM
Sideways
1st Gear

Score another hit for v. 36. Just had mine done today & the drive home was a revelation. The stumble hasn't been as bad lately, since it's <20deg. every morning, but now it's truly gone. v.36 also got rid of 90% of the Yo-Yo, and I swear the bog is better too. I never really expect the tendency to bog to go away 100% - there are just too many factors there to make it inherent:

1. A relatively tall 1st gear (actually close to 2nd in some cars)
2. 1600 cc is still pretty small for a 2,700 lb. car
3. A supercharger that is bypassed below 2,800 rpm.
4. A low compression ratio to accomodate the supercharging

Anyway, now it will be really hard to put my MCS away for the winter, but keeping it away from the salt truck is what it's all about.

To do this, MINI of Peabody had to set up one of their computers with the German version of Windows, but Dave told me they got the CD last Friday and they've managed to flash about 20 cars so far, with no complaints - DO IT!

Old 12-04-2003, 10:28 PM
weaverpsu
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I tell you what. It is really frustrating when everyone says they are sending chip to Jersey(as i have read in many posts) to get a fix because I LIVE IN NEW JERSEY! AND NO NOTHING ABOUT THIS, AND WAS JUST AT THE DEALERSHIP TODAY! (thur.) I talked to them last time about the stumble so you would think if they had it that they would have told me. This was the second time i went to the dealership to have my speaker replaced and the second time they managed to screw something up. I'm fed up with my dealership, im calling them tomorrow to *****.

Old 12-04-2003, 10:32 PM
bgrpph
3rd Gear
supermini- Deceleration stumble = downshift to 2nd when approaching light and with foot off gas watch tach drop from 4k to 3k to 2k- at 1900 rpm my car stumbles (feel a very noticeable lurch or hiccup). It will do same thing in 1st gear at 1900 rpm also. (its hard to do this in 3rd since one doesn't normally go this slow in 3rd gear without clutch in or downshifting)
Its funny i didn't notice the deceleration stumble much when i had it on taking off as the takeoff was so so annoying. Now that i don't have the acceleration stumble i'm more aware of the deceleration one (its not nearly as bad but car does lurch). I drove showroom 03 MCS (one an 03 build month one an 05) and both had accel & decel stumbles also.
My weather is never cold or hot. I'm in Hawaii so weather is constantly in 80's during day and rarely gets over 90 or under 70.

Old 12-05-2003, 04:05 AM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
weaverpsu...

A suggestion prior to bitching (or even in conjunction :smile: ):

Call your dealer and tell them you want your car flashed with V36. If they don't have it available, direct them to send your ECU to MINI HQ in Jersey to have it reprogrammed (with V36). They are entirely capable of doing this--demand that they do.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:26 AM
rataha
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have not made the 200 mile journey to get cd36 yet. However I was in contact with a tech at MINI NJ HDQ he said the version should be applied to my 2003 march build S and also it should be applied to my 2002 June build Cooper. He stated this was quite an improvement for both car's and should be done. Cooper is almost ready for 25000 mile check so KC here we come in about 2 weeks I am hoping for the best. CD36 apparently should be applied to all vehicles. S Cooper and CVT Good luck
RAT

Old 12-05-2003, 10:40 AM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
OK...it's been a week now. I'll second jsun's review. Smoother acceleration, no more stumble, HUGELY decreased yo-yo. Again, it's been cold, so that may have some effect, but reports from folks who've had it for a while, or in warm climates, give some hope!

I have notices that the car seems more "rounded out" or "softer". Sure, there's no stumble, but throttle response feels deadened. Now I think most people will enjoy that, but I kinda miss the slightly ragged feel through acceleration...more sporty, perhaps?

Regardless, I'm happy. Once some of this DC snow/ice melts, I'm going for a spin!

Old 12-05-2003, 10:49 AM
jsun
6th Gear
>>I have notices that the car seems more "rounded out" or "softer". Sure, there's no stumble, but throttle response feels deadened. Now I think most people will enjoy that, but I kinda miss the slightly ragged feel through acceleration...more sporty, perhaps?
>>

^ ^ YES! That's a much better description of what I feel with CD36! I'm thinking I like it, and I'll choose to call it "refined" vs. deadened.

Old 12-05-2003, 10:56 AM
~Scooper~
3rd Gear
Thanks jsun! I'm half and half on the change. I'm about to go from runflats to non-RF, and with this change, I'll have more "refined" all-around car. I think I'll probably enjoy the new personality...I just fear change!

Quick Reply: STUMBLE IS GONE!!! v.36 software actually works!!