Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

code 2885

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 06:13 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
code 2885

Hi, i been getting a code 2885 which puts the engine power in half, my scanner does not describe it(bavarian tecnic scanner), it just says it will not cause check engine light, malfunction has occurred, which is funny cause it kicks half power on. Does any of u know this code description. cause i just been clearing it every few days, dealer is out of question car is a 07 mcs 103k

Please help thanks.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:39 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
The two charts I have show:

P2285 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low
and
P22XX Fuel and Air Metering and Auxiliary Emission Controls

Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 PM
1st Gear
cool thanks

Old 07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
I am getting a 2885 fault code as well. I'm hoping to get this fixed without taking it to the dealer. Does anyone know of a fix for it?

Old 07-03-2010, 03:27 AM
grodenglaive
2nd Gear
Do you mean P2285? I don't see a listing for P2885. I believe P2285 was the error code I got just before my high pressure fuel pump was replaced.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:07 AM
SimpsonGI
The shop said it is 2885, Boost Pressure Control Deviation, plausibility.

Old 07-04-2010, 06:37 PM
moondawg14
2nd Gear
Not too familiar with the turbo on the mini cooper.... I assume it's a variable geometry turbo? Problem with your turbo actuator maybe?

Old 07-15-2010, 07:43 AM
tazer
Neutral
I'm getting this fault on my car. Does anyone know what the problem was?

Old 07-15-2010, 12:51 PM
SimpsonGI
Code 2885 is for boost pressure deviation. Either there is a leak or it isn't releasing the pressure like it should. I am 99% sure that my code 2885 is being caused by a sticky BOV.

I have a boost gauge and I can hear the BOV when it opens and releases pressure due to having an aftermarket CAI. When it is running normally I can hear the whoosh sound as pressure is released even with 1 or 2 PSI of boost. When it isn't running normally and just about to go into limp mode I can't hear the whoosh sound at any positive boost pressure. I'm going to try cleaning the BOV to see if it helps. If it doesn't help I'm going to go with an aftermarket BOV.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:21 PM
SimpsonGI
Fixed!!

After having a new engine installed a few weeks ago my P2885 code came back. Since the dealer just replaced the engine for me, I took it back to them to have it checked. P2885 is for Boost Plausibility.

Here is what they documented on the repair paperwork. Test plan advised checking vacuum lines to wastegate/boost actuator. Found line to wastegate was soft and collapsed/restricted. Removed and replaced lines from wastegate and vacuum pump control valve and vacuum resivior under intake manifold.

So, there was a soft spot in one of the vacuum hoses that was collapsing on itself under vacuum. With the new vacuum lines installed, no more code and the car is running great!

Old 05-19-2011, 04:50 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
After having a new engine installed a few weeks ago my P2885 code came back. Since the dealer just replaced the engine for me, I took it back to them to have it checked
So what happened to your motor?

Old 05-19-2011, 05:04 PM
SimpsonGI
cylinder 4 had a 90% leakdown through the crankcase. The dealer recommended a new long block for it.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
cylinder 4 had a 90% leakdown through the crankcase. The dealer recommended a new long block for it.
Lol, yet another piston failure...

Old 05-19-2011, 05:24 PM
SimpsonGI
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Lol, yet another piston failure...
Yep, more than likely. I know someone else who is in our MINI club that got her MINI about 3 weeks after mine. She had a piston fail at around 60k miles. Mine had around 62k. Hers is a stage 1 automatic while mine is a stage 3 automatic.

I'm tempted to upgrade the pistons when I can afford it, just to make sure I don't have problems again in another 50k - 70k miles.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:16 AM
SHAMEFULLTHREE
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Repair for fault code 2885- charge air control deviation, plausibility.

Im a tech for a mini dealershio and just had a car with this fault. Try removing the blow off valve from turbo. Its the black solenoid with three alen scres. Check plastic for burn marks. Then check the diaphram for a hole in it. This caused this fault in the 2009 cooper s i worked on. Replaced the valve and no fault returned. Just thought id give you some insight.

The following 2 users liked this post by SHAMEFULLTHREE:
BlueMiniac (05-07-2022), guspi76 (04-07-2018)
Old 07-22-2012, 10:14 PM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
P2885 on my 2007 S with 90k

Just got the car put back together after removing the head to replace a valve. I get this code with WOT usually between 4-5k rpm. Very repeatable. I had removed BOV to add Alta spring, but my original BOV didn't survive the transplant, as the plastic cap that supports the diaphram was brittle and it broke. I purchased and installed a new oem BOV and get P2885 with Stock or Alta spring.

Today I checked all my fittings and did a jerry rigged 15lb. pressure test and could see no obvious leaks. After that test, I reassembled and still got the code. I pulled the MAF sensor and cleaned it with MAF cleaner. Dried it slowly with very light air from my compessor, refit it, and still get code.

During that last test drive, I realized that my BOV is now audible and sounds like a ricer Vent-to-Air BOV (goes kish-ki-ki-shhh) when I drive it hard with WOT, which I don't believe should be possible with a stock BOV, so I may be pulling it off yet again to see if I've somehow destroyed it in 100 miles of driving.

Anyone have ideas of what/how to test next?

Mods include Alta AccessPort (stock tune throws code too), K&N filter in stock filter housing (only for 200 miles) and Alta cat-back exhaust.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:42 AM
Kenmanclubman
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p2885

After having a new engine installed a few weeks ago my P2885 code came back. Since the dealer just replaced the engine for me, I took it back to them to have it checked. P2885 is for Boost Plausibility.

Here is what they documented on the repair paperwork. Test plan advised checking vacuum lines to wastegate/boost actuator. Found line to wastegate was soft and collapsed/restricted. Removed and replaced lines from wastegate and vacuum pump control valve and vacuum resivior under intake manifold.

So, there was a soft spot in one of the vacuum hoses that was collapsing on itself under vacuum. With the new vacuum lines installed, no more code and the car is running great!
Well I am happy it worked for you! I have been getting the dreaded p2885 for months now without any real progress.
I have changed DV, I have changed the inlet to turbo, the boost tubes hot and cold, also changed the vac lines to and from the wastegate, also the map sensor on the cold side and the intake manifold! I even replaced the vac pump itself! I have tested the lines and not losing pressure, the wastegate seems to be operating fine, the turbo itself seems ok! I have checked the inlet and the turbo spins free, no play and not loose, no noise or anything. The wastegate opens and closing correctly and measured the threads and it is in spec. Ive pressure checked the intake at 22psi and smoke tested and no leaks found! I have about 900.00 in it so far and cant resolve. My vac lines to wastegate were kinda soft too, thats why i went ahead and replaced them, but didnt help..... I even pressure tested the vac box where the vac lines go to. Now mini says HIgh Pressure Fuel pump maybe, another 350.00 dollars for nothing i think, i am not having fuel issues and the car does not miss, stall or anything related to fuel. Mostly when that HPFP goes bad you get a miss, stalls, or something like that. After researching i just dont see it being the HPFP. HELP!!!!!

Last edited by Kenmanclubman; 08-19-2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-21-2012, 05:31 PM
rotadent
2nd Gear
Hi All,

I'd like to chime in to this issue too. I've been having the same exact problems you all have. I went to the dealer and they recommended replacing the entire turbo. I doubted that was the reason. I then went to an independent shop and they recommended replacing the BOV (which was my hunch too). But, unlike Karl, I didn't get the "whish-whish" sound from the BOV. However, the CEL came on again! What else can I check? This is getting very frustrating!

Just like Karl, I also have the accessport installed. However, I believe my cable is defective as I can't connect and reflash the car. I'm looking at getting a new cable soon. But according to Karl, he's still getting the CEL even with the original map.

Also, when your CEL goes off, does the car always go into "limp" mode? There are times I do feel a lack of power, but other times, it just feels like a loss of maybe 10% power, but everything else is fine afterwards.

What next?

Old 08-21-2012, 06:08 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Kenmanclubman
Now mini says HIgh Pressure Fuel pump maybe, another 350.00 dollars for nothing i think, i am not having fuel issues and the car does not miss, stall or anything related to fuel. Mostly when that HPFP goes bad you get a miss, stalls, or something like that. After researching i just dont see it being the HPFP. HELP!!!!!
What country are you located and the year and mileage is your Mini? I know you said you're not thinking it is a HPFP problem, but are you aware that MiniUSA has an extended warranty on the HPFP for the 2007, 2008, and 2009 Minis with the N14 engine? If you're in the U.S. and your mileage is below 120k miles, let them replace the HPFP on their dime.

I attached the letter Mini sent me regarding the extended warranty on the HPFP.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mini.HPFP.pdf (687.3 KB, 1234 views)
Old 08-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Kenmanclubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rotadent
Hi All,

I'd like to chime in to this issue too. I've been having the same exact problems you all have. I went to the dealer and they recommended replacing the entire turbo. I doubted that was the reason. I then went to an independent shop and they recommended replacing the BOV (which was my hunch too). But, unlike Karl, I didn't get the "whish-whish" sound from the BOV. However, the CEL came on again! What else can I check? This is getting very frustrating!

Just like Karl, I also have the accessport installed. However, I believe my cable is defective as I can't connect and reflash the car. I'm looking at getting a new cable soon. But according to Karl, he's still getting the CEL even with the original map.

Also, when your CEL goes off, does the car always go into "limp" mode? There are times I do feel a lack of power, but other times, it just feels like a loss of maybe 10% power, but everything else is fine afterwards.

What next?
The first thing i replaced was the BOV, I got an upgraded one from Way Motor Works, it didn't help. I do have the accessport installed and at first it wouldn't go "limp" when on factory ECU, then I noticed it more and more and now it doesnt matter if in factory or staged. Yes, it always goes limp when i get the p2885. Now it seems I can just be cruising along with cruise control on heading down the highway and out of the blue it comes on with a slight uphill or if the car tries to barely pick up speed, it doesnt happen when I am getting on it. My big thing was I thought it may be the AP because at first it would only do it when AP was installed, but it wasnt.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:33 AM
Kenmanclubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by gregsmini
What country are you located and the year and mileage is your Mini? I know you said you're not thinking it is a HPFP problem, but are you aware that MiniUSA has an extended warranty on the HPFP for the 2007, 2008, and 2009 Minis with the N14 engine? If you're in the U.S. and your mileage is below 120k miles, let them replace the HPFP on their dime.

It is a 2008 Clubman S, I am in the USA. I found out when i went to the dealer it was under warranty for 120k but I was at 123k and they said sorry! If I would have recvd a letter I would have gotten it replaced....I also have alread replaced the engine at 92000 because of a faulty timing chain tensioner, $7100.00 with labor!!! on me!!! This is the 3rd mini I have owned and needless to say the last! I have about 10grand in the car above and beyond buying it new!

Old 08-22-2012, 02:33 PM
rotadent
2nd Gear
I'm in southern California and it's a 2009 with 82k miles on it. I started noticing this issue around 65k miles. But it is definitely more frequent now. Can it be the warmer weather that is causing it?

I might have to ask them to replace the HPFP too. But it doesn't seem like the problem that causes this reading.

Originally Posted by gregsmini

Old 08-25-2012, 08:00 AM
Kenmanclubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kenmanclubman
The first thing i replaced was the BOV, I got an upgraded one from Way Motor Works, it didn't help. I do have the accessport installed and at first it wouldn't go "limp" when on factory ECU, then I noticed it more and more and now it doesnt matter if in factory or staged. Yes, it always goes limp when i get the p2885. Now it seems I can just be cruising along with cruise control on heading down the highway and out of the blue it comes on with a slight uphill or if the car tries to barely pick up speed, it doesnt happen when I am getting on it. My big thing was I thought it may be the AP because at first it would only do it when AP was installed, but it wasnt.
I would definately start with checking all your connection on the turbo inlet, outlet and tubes to intercooler, as it cost nothing to check these for leaks unless it's a pinhole and you cant find it, also definately check the connection at the tube on the cold side coming off the hard tubing from the intercooler located just past the MAP sensor. The muffler on mine was leaking. If it doesnt seem to be one of these I would check the vac lines from the vac pump to the wastegate. I blew smoke thru the hose that connects to the vac pump and it came out the hose going to wastegate, if it comes out elsewhere, there you go!you can also pressure test these vac lines.. I replaced mine because the ends were soft, but didnt help..All of this cost nothing but a cigar so far!

Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 AM
ENEMINI
2nd Gear
My wife and I were on a road trip to Las Vegas last week when the MIL came on and went into limp mode. I swung into an auto parts store in St. George and borrowed their code scanner, which read P3091 (High Pressure Fuel Pump error). I was able to limp into Vegas and drop off my car at Desert MINI. I was surprised to hear the HPFP was covered under warranty! However the technician mentioned my vacuum lines were becoming clogged with residue. Sadly the shop didn't have the part in stock, but the technician said this will likely cause a P2885, would go into limp mode but wouldn't damage the turbo or any other components.

Sure enough a few days ago, whilst back in Colorado, P2885 popped up and into limp mode we went. I reset to verify and was able to replicate P2885 again.

I ordered new vacuum piping from Ralph Schomp ($62 after taxes) and am going to install them today. Hopefully this will cure my issue, assuming the technician at Desert MINI was accurate in his assessment.

Keep you posted!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
After installing my Garrett turbo, I had to learn to drive all over again --- to prevent throwing the P2885 code. When accelerating hard in 3rd or 4th, and RPM's are not yet over 3500 / 3600, I get the code every time. I'm guessing the ECU expects boost in this range and the Garrett doesn't provide it until about 3600. If I downshift to get 3600 or more, then punch it --- no code!

This probably doesn't help much, but it might give someone an idea of where to look for a solution to 5810's problem.

Quick Reply: code 2885