Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

code 2885

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by eurotech
Ch28kid
there are several things thay can cause a code 2885.
Turbo,Vacuum pump, lines, leaking vacuum somewhere, actuator for wastegate, sensors, etc.
Some testing will have to be done to determine the cause.
This code typically sets in higher gears...when the ecu sees a different pressure then it expects for several seconds the code is set.
can you monitor your boost level?..
@eurotech

Yes I can do a data log on my accessport for my boost. I recently changed my value cover gasket and the problem went away... for like a week and a half... then it came back again when I was on forth gear flooring it on the highway. :'(

I notice there is a little bit of oil on my turbo oil line. Could that be the cause?

Sorry for the late reply. I keep forgetting to check this post.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:38 PM
rotadent
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm seeing how you guys are resetting the fault code.

Does anyone have the problem where the fault code disappears upon driving after a while? The car also has its normal power back... not limping anymore.

If so, is there a hint to what the problem could be? Mine tends to disappear after some time if the weather is a little cooler. Still hoping it's not that turbo.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 AM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Nope... I had the code running for couple of days.

Doesn't clear.. I have to go to accessport and clear it.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Dirty_Old_Town
Neutral

I know I'm a bit late to the game here, but I thought I'd contribute. My mom has an '08 Cooper S and it's got an 02885 DTC. I've been a tech for years, but I'm not too well-versed in BMWs. I use Mitchell OnDemand for service info and it has no mention of the 02885. I can check codes with my Snap-on Verus, but I could never find any decent information online. I have a former student (I teach auto mechanics at a technical college) who works at our local MINI dealer, so I brought the car there today and had them take a look. As it turns out, it's not unusual for the gasket that goes between the catalytic converter and the turbocharger to fail. This particular gasket is a multi-layered steel type with three layers. What tends to happen, I'm told, is that the middle layer deteriorates and falls down into the path of the wastegate, preventing it from sealing well. He said that he's seen it multiple times and he even showed me one that he replaced earlier in the day. I bought the gasket and the exhaust clamp (under $40 for the pair) and I'll be installing them both on Friday afternoon. Fingers crossed... I'll report back once I take the car for a spin.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:34 PM
rotadent
2nd Gear
Good luck to you. I hope that is the fix.

I may have the fix for my car. I hope I'm not jinxing myself for saying this too soon.

So I've had a few things replaced on the car. First was the BOV. The next was the boot leading out of the air filter box. Next was the crank case cover. After that, it was the resonator by the exhaust. After all these INDIVIDUAL replacements, the CEL still came back on. Albeit a lot less frequent after the resonator fix.

I suspected the BOV would be the problem at first since that is the most logical reason. I saw the tear in the rubber boot, so then I thought that would be it for sure. The last thing that really got me was the crank case. A leak in there too? It seemed a bit incredulous. So I took it to another recommended mechanic who recommended the resonator be replaced. It seemed to run fine for a few weeks, but the CEL came on and off again.

So I took it back to him yesterday and they looked at all the possible problems. They found that the BOV/Diverter Valve was missing one of the three screws that held it in place. If anyone has replaced theirs, it's that pain in the butt one that is hiding in the back. And also one screw on the crank case was completely loose. I'm not 100% certain I can blame the first place (since they replaced both of those items), but it could have been leaking from the screws.

After tightening the screws, the car seems to run fine now. Granted, it's been a bit chillier and not extremely warm. This might be my fix!

Long story short, the 2885 code refers to a leak and lack of pressure for the turbo. It might be just as easy as a few loose screws. The mechanic said that if the CEL came back, then we'd probably have to look into replacing the vacuum lines. If that didn't help, ultimately it may be the turbo.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 AM
Kenmanclubman
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
p2885

Originally Posted by rotadent
Good luck to you. I hope that is the fix.

I may have the fix for my car. I hope I'm not jinxing myself for saying this too soon.

So I've had a few things replaced on the car. First was the BOV. The next was the boot leading out of the air filter box. Next was the crank case cover. After that, it was the resonator by the exhaust. After all these INDIVIDUAL replacements, the CEL still came back on. Albeit a lot less frequent after the resonator fix.

I suspected the BOV would be the problem at first since that is the most logical reason. I saw the tear in the rubber boot, so then I thought that would be it for sure. The last thing that really got me was the crank case. A leak in there too? It seemed a bit incredulous. So I took it to another recommended mechanic who recommended the resonator be replaced. It seemed to run fine for a few weeks, but the CEL came on and off again.

So I took it back to him yesterday and they looked at all the possible problems. They found that the BOV/Diverter Valve was missing one of the three screws that held it in place. If anyone has replaced theirs, it's that pain in the butt one that is hiding in the back. And also one screw on the crank case was completely loose. I'm not 100% certain I can blame the first place (since they replaced both of those items), but it could have been leaking from the screws.

After tightening the screws, the car seems to run fine now. Granted, it's been a bit chillier and not extremely warm. This might be my fix!

Long story short, the 2885 code refers to a leak and lack of pressure for the turbo. It might be just as easy as a few loose screws. The mechanic said that if the CEL came back, then we'd probably have to look into replacing the vacuum lines. If that didn't help, ultimately it may be the turbo.
I replaced and upgraded my Dv and still have the same problem!!! Hope it works for you! I have replaced all the vac lines too and didnt help,also the HPFP, the VAC pump, the sensors, still getting cel and reduced power

Old 01-24-2013, 12:03 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey everyone. So after having dealt with this whole p2885 issue before (resulting in turbo replacement,) it's shown its delightful little CEL face once again. The first time around, it started happening right after getting the car tuned; it would never build full boost and would almost always go into limp mode with any load. I switched Diverter Valves, replaced just about every tube and pipe related to the issue, and eventually traced the problem to a faulty Wastegate. Needless to say, I was hoping after all of that money the problem would be gone forever.

Since then, I've got about 9k miles on the new turbo, relatively fresh sparks, injectors, and all new tubing hosing and piping. About a week ago, the code showed up again. At this time I was running the Forge Diverter Valve, along with the HKS SSQV bov (yes I know they won't work with the car, it was on for giggles). Due to this setup, I figured it was simply an issue with the bov, so I decided to go home and take it off for good. So from here, I was running just the Forge Diverter Valve, closed loop.

I went for a drive to make sure everything was fine again; I was on the freeway when the MAP sensor was literally shot out of its connection. I pulled over, took the intake off, saw what was wrong (screw had come completely loose due to stripping of threads over time) and went home and fixed it. (side note: the rubber ring around the MAP sensor was gone after this too. important?) Out of simplicity's sake, I decided to take the Forge Diverter Valve off and put the stock one back on, just to make sure there were no issues in the system. Went for a drive afterwards, and sure enough, it happened again. This time the code shown was p129d, which was something along the lines of "MAP maximum pressure implausible."

Today, I decided to go by my local euro shop and have the full data log of codes read. Since there were still some left over (misfires etc.) from before the turbo replacement, I had them clear all the codes, then went and drove it again. This time, it held fine for a while, but then triggered p2885 in 6th gear under load.

Soooooo, I guess this is round 2. One thing I'm wondering about is what rotadent mentioned:
...After that, it was the resonator by the exhaust. After all these INDIVIDUAL replacements, the CEL still came back on. Albeit a lot less frequent after the resonator fix...
...So I took it to another recommended mechanic who recommended the resonator be replaced. It seemed to run fine for a few weeks, but the CEL came on and off again...
Because I just had the resonator cut out of my exhaust. Could this be sparking the issue? My friend with a beast modded GTI mentioned he had to get a Right Angle Adapter/Housing for his secondary o2 sensor due to the heat and open-ness of his exhaust. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I hope my experiences help some of you figure out your own.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM
rotadent
2nd Gear
Sorry I haven't been back to the thread in a few days.

I got the CEL again after tightening the screws. I took it back to the mechanic today to replace the vacuum lines. So far, so good. However, with my luck, the CEL will come back. I'm thinking the turbo will be next to be replaced. But even with Kalibdor's case, I'm sure that is not quite the answer.

On a side note, the mechanic told me to test drive the car after he installed the new lines. He said when I drive it, the CEL seems to come on... not when he does
The CEL didn't come on. But the low tire did! As I was driving back to the mechanic, I must have ran over a rock. I didn't see it, but all I saw was a baseball sized thing rolling behind me and a large boom. I blew out my front tire. What a day.

I'm wondering, if you're getting the CEL, is your MINI tuned? Maybe it's something with the tune? Anyone have the issue without a tune?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
I'm wondering, if you're getting the CEL, is your MINI tuned? Maybe it's something with the tune? Anyone have the issue without a tune?
I've gotten it with and without the tune on. Sometimes it won't come up as easily without the tune on but it's still there eventually. And sorry about your bad tire day!

Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 AM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Just an update for anyone following this thread. In my case, this time around, the P2885 was being cause by excess carbon buildup on the Intake valves. After pressure/smoke testing and checking every sensor I could, I figured it was the hpfp. Came to the dealership to get that done under the MINI extended warranty for that part, they found it working fine; the carbon buildup was just clogging the whole system up.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:47 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
@Kalibdor I follow this thread and thank you for the updates.

Quick question on the carbon build up issue. You had a OCC and you still manage to have carbon build up issue?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
You had a OCC and you still manage to have carbon build up issue?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
@Kalibdor I follow this thread and thank you for the updates.

Quick question on the carbon build up issue. You had a OCC and you still manage to have carbon build up issue?

Yeahhhh it wasn't on there for quite a while. Put it on too late I suppose haha. It'd been quite a while since the last actual walnut blasting, just seafoaming and whatnot in that in between period.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:45 PM
rotadent
2nd Gear
I posted this message in another thread... the one that Kalibdor was saying he's going to replace the turbo now.

But, I have a BSH catch can also. Do you think if you have a kink in the lines that take oil to the can, that it could cause this code? I checked it when there wasn't fault code, and the lines were tight and smooth. But when the car is driven for a while, it can get warmer, and possibly cause the kink. What are your thoughts?

I think the turbo is the next solution if I can't get get it fixed. I seafoam periodically and clean out the catch can, but it is starting to become too much of a routine.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:46 PM
rotadent
2nd Gear
Oh, as an update...

I've had the CEL come back on. I changed the vacuum lines, and they still came back.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
So I've been using stock map again and my CEL no longer comes up. I only get P2885 with the ALTA AccessPort Stage 1 map. I am pretty sure it's the map problem.

I check my diverter valve and it look good. I am replacing the downpipe gasket and turbo oil line this week. I hope that fixes the problem.

@rotadent any luck with your P2885 fix?

Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
So I've been using stock map again and my CEL no longer comes up. I only get P2885 with the ALTA AccessPort Stage 1 map. I am pretty sure it's the map problem.

I check my diverter valve and it look good. I am replacing the downpipe gasket and turbo oil line this week. I hope that fixes the problem.

@rotadent any luck with your P2885 fix?
I suppose there's always the possibility it's a fault with the map, but in my case the tune was never the issue. Whether it was a boost leak, carbon buildup, wastegate issue, or something else, the tune never ended up being the problem. Alot of the time these faults will only trigger under enough engine load, often which is only provided when the tune is on. The last time I had the code, for example, it went away once I was back on the stock remap (for the most part.) It was just a matter that the engine wasn't under enough stress (without the tune) for the diverter valve to see the pressure difference and throw the code.

I don't have a certain answer here, just saying I've known several people that have thrown away a tune and given up on tuning for a problem coming from elsewhere.

Good luck to everyone. No code for me since the walnut blast and Oil Catch Can & PCV blockoff.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:11 PM
rotadent
2nd Gear
No luck. I'm going to try to remove the catch can and see if that helps. I'll keep you all informed when the parts arrive.

Old 04-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
No luck. I'm going to try to remove the catch can and see if that helps. I'll keep you all informed when the parts arrive.
Good luck man!

Old 04-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
So I managed to capture the data log while the P2885 came up.

Around row 44, 45 is where P2885. The boost drop immediately.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing

Anyone got any ideas?

Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 PM
ENEMINI
2nd Gear
Right, so this thread has quieted down a bit, but I'm sure there are still plenty of us R56 folks fighting the elusive 2885.....

Recap:
2885 appears.
Troubleshoot vacuum system. Find no obvious faults.
Troubleshoot boost piping. Find no obvious leaks/faults (holds pressure).
Replace vacuum piping, DV and boost tube Pressure/Temp Sensor.
Throw hands in the air and take MINI to reputable local euro-trash mechanic.
Discover turbo has shot thrust bearings=TURBO SHOT.
Having just been laid off, this will have to wait and I'll drive a Cooper S as a Cooper.

Get new job, hurray. Buy GPop shop hybrid turbo (rebuild).
Install, fun times.
2885 continues!
Unhappy Wife.
Run check again on vacuum system as I am still rather suspicious of waste gate vacuum actuator (P/N 11657599547).
Remove wastegate vacuum line and plug in a syringe with plunger extended into the vacuum line.
Go for drive. Vacuum does not make plunger move. So that damned actuator isn't passing ANY vacuum to the wastegate!

Well I'm happy I have a new(er) turbo in Miles regardless if it needed it or not. Besides the syringe test, does anybody else know of a good way to check the waste gate vacuum actuator?

*sigh* at least I'm saving quite likely thousands of dollars by doing all this work myself! Honestly I have the option of taking the bus to work which I've become quite fond it. So I truly don't mind seeing my MINI either in pieces in the garage.

Cheers.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 PM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi,

I have a race / rally jcw and have had frustrating problems with difficult to diagnose 2885 code issues in the past.

Firstly, have you have physically checked the diverter valve, ie taken it out and looked at the yellow plastic membrane to see if it is not torn? This is by far the commonest cause of 2885 codes.

I have had 2 other causes for the code which you do not mention on your list of diagnosis.

On one occasion it was a burnt out / melted cat on the turbo downpipe. This was obstructing flow, and physically not letting the car boost properly. Inspect this area.

On another occasion I had a faulty temperature / pressure sensor. I think this one was strange, and I have not heard of anyone else having the same.

with regards to testing the wastegate vacuum actuator there are several of the diagnostic software programs that allow you to actuate it from the laptop to test that when the ecu is telling it to actuate that it is physically working. You can actuate it whilst the car is sitting still and look or listen to see thatit is moving. Autologic does this and I think possibly the professional bavarian technic. BMW's own system also does.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:52 AM
ENEMINI
2nd Gear
Fixed!

I replaced the pressure converter (P/N 11657599547) and problem solved. Immediately the car began boosting and code P2885 cleared itself after a mile or five of caning it like I haven't caned it since August 2012.

The only up side to having replaced almost every component of the forced induction system, is now I have almost a brand new forced induction system. New exhaust manifold (I was already in there anyways, might as well upgrade), gaskets, turbo, pressure converter, DV, and vacuum tubing.

It has been stable and strong since Saturday morning. No oil leaks, no error codes, nothing but smiles and the brilliant sound of the turbo boosting on a quiet morning's drive.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:46 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
The following users liked this post:
cjv2 (03-28-2018)
Old 09-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Kalibdor
4th Gear
For anyone still following:

Limp mode came back...AGAIN. And it was carbon buildup, AGAIN. I don't understand how that can happen over the course of just 7 months, and with an oil catch can. I took the PCV blockoff out a while ago as I'd heard a few people saying it wasn't a good idea. Maybe it's worth putting back in......or just getting like 20 catch cans

Quick Reply: code 2885