Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Dead......maybe not......oh yea, dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 AM
TiMINITim
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead......maybe not......oh yea, dead

I'm interested in finding out if sounds familiar to anyone. I have an '09 S, automatic with about 2,500 miles on it. I left work Tuesday and when i got to the car the doors did not unlock electronically. After looking at it in a perplexed way and pressing the key about 10 more times I thought, geez, it's a good thing I figured out the other week where the manual key is hidden. So, I unlocked the door manually and put the 'key' in the ignition. When I hit the start button, I heard several electronic type sounds (whirring, buzzing) for about 3-5 seconds, and then the car started. But, every possible warning light and buzzer went off in a rather frantic manner. Not wanting to do any harm, my immediate reaction was to turn off the car. Of course, then it wouldn't restart, dead as a doorknob!

So, I called roadside assistance and they came to help out. Since the car was in a parking garage, they had to figure out how to get the car to the street. After deciding we couldn't push it all the way, the guy went ahead and jumped the car with a battery pack. The car started, but again, every warning light and bell went off. He ran the car about 10-15 seconds to get it to the point that the car could coast down the ramps to the street. He then shut it off and coasted down.

Dropped the car off at the dealer, but it was already about 7 PM, so nobody was looking at it then. The next day about noon I called over to check on the status and was told, "It wont be that simple, we'll call you when we figure something out." Hmm, interesting response. I waited until about 4 PM and called back. I was then told.....and I really am quoting what he said, "We've never seen anything like this before. We're waiting for the MINI North American engineer to call back. I'll call you back in a day or two when we know more." WTF.....a day or TWO!!!!!

So, now I'm waiting I'm getting more and more curious by the hour, which is inversley proportional to my confidence in this new car.

Any chance this sounds vaguely familiar to anyone? I'd like to be ready to counter any BS they try to throw at me when the time comes, so understanding what others may have dealt with would be useful.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Bad battery or water in the JBE (junction box electronics i.e. fuse panel).

I know one time when my battery died due to the work i was doing on the car (stereo install work and testing) Many of the alrams went off on restarting the car. Charged battery up and all was good to go.

As for your exact issue if there was water in the JBE for some reason then what you describe could easily happen or you would have nothing at all, depending on what was shorting out.

Good luck, Has Roadside Assistance at least gotten you a vehicle to get around in (may not be a mini though) as you are entitled to a alternate transportation while your car is in the shop.

Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 AM
TiMINITim
3rd Gear
Water in the JBE doesn't seem likely, as it hasn't been in the rain for about 2 weeks......and sadly I had not washed it either.

I would assume a dead battery would not fall into the "Never seen this before" category. Who knows though!

They were good about getting me a loaner MINI, although it smells a bit like a Motel 6 that's been closed up for a couple of weeks after a bunch of chain-smoking monkeys had a party. That's what the windows and sunroof are for I suppose!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
ceoengr
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TiMINITim
....... They were good about getting me a loaner MINI, although it smells a bit like a Motel 6 that's been closed up for a couple of weeks after a bunch of chain-smoking monkeys had a party. That's what the windows and sunroof are for I suppose!
I feel sorry for your pain, hopefully in time things will work out. Just curious as to the dealership you are using? The one on the way to Sugarland or the one closer to Hunstville. Do please keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:04 AM
TiMINITim
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ceoengr
I feel sorry for your pain, hopefully in time things will work out. Just curious as to the dealership you are using? The one on the way to Sugarland or the one closer to Hunstville. Do please keep us posted.
The car is over at Momentum MINI, on 59 near 8.

Spoke to them yesterday afternoon and they've 'looked at all the wiring' and found nothing. Now they're getting ready to change out the module that controls starting, I think he used the acronym 'CAS'. But, he also said 'That might not fix it, so we'll see.' So, evidently they're just coming up with random ideas and seeing what works. Not really excited about that prospect.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:30 PM
Ral15rton
Neutral
Any update, I'm having similar issues with my Mini